TNG Community
Raewyn

How to add feature topic / posts?

Raewyn

Hi all,

Fairly new to this. It's been a long time since I messed around with web pages.

I've installed Template 15 and it has the featured articles with headers and the sidebar feature articles with headers. I've modified some of what appears there and I've looked around before posting, so my question is to add a new feature 'article' or feature post, do I need to edit the features.php  (I think that's what the file is called) and add what i need, just as I would when creating a new web page? 

I did see something in the tutorials or wiki pages about modifying the code, but wasn't sure if it pertained to this, or something else.

Also, would just adding a page feature1.php ; feature2.php etc be what I need to call the content from those pages to add to the feature 1, feature 2, sidebar feature 3, 4, 5 etc?

Or should I be following this instruction for histories?: https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=User_Pages_-_Getting_Started

I found it last night but I can't for the life of me find the features.php instructional.

Basically, I want to be able to add the article that I've got to a page and keep it looking somewhat like the rest of the TNG site with the template colors etc. If I modify the colors, cool, but at the moment that's purely aesthetics and I have MUCH to do!

Thanks in advance.

Raewyn.

Raewyn

Okay, I think I figured it it out. In case someone else gets stuck: Follow this link:

And follow the instructions. 

Page added, link works. Happy girl :) It's just figuring my way around another person's system :)

Newfloridian

Hi Raewyn

Glad to see you have found your way in!

I'm not sure how template 15 adds histories (is it through Admin > template setup or by direct editing of index.php?)

If you are intending to use the feature for any significant amount you may need to do a little forward planning in what happens when you want to add Feature 7 or Feature 18

I have used historytemplate.php with template 4 since the days of TNG 6.4 and now have around 500 fully illustrated articles from it.

Cheers Alan

Raewyn

Hi Alan,

Wow! 500 articles! That's a lot. You've been using this a couple of years or so then, right?

I copied the histories php and just modified that and modified the name of the php file and link to suit on the set-up page, but in order to use the histories so it shows up, I should probably do some more fiddling as it doesn't show up under the histories page itself when I click the link. Needless to say, I'll figure it out. Honestly, I'm not sure what the features section does versus the histories, since the default went to the index page on my site (because the page doesn't exist) and I haven't compared the original php pages to see how they differ yet.  I'm girl in the deep end, but I managed to modify the header and bar colours on the css so it's no longer blue. I have a LOT of work to do. The front end is probably the least amount that is required, but the bit that takes a while for me to navigate.

Have a great day,

Raewyn.