TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
Nigel Reed

Dealing with new GEDCOMs and merging

Nigel Reed

Hi all,

I've just received a GEDCOM and I have yet to review it, but I expect it has quite a few duplicate records. How have people been handling this sort of situation? 

I wish there was a way to cut parts of a tree and drag'n'drop them into another at a point where I want to merge them but that'd require somewhat of a redesign of how the trees are displayed. I've merged a tree before using the "merge" function and it took literally days due to the amount of duplicates.

Right now, I'm open to suggestions.

theKiwi

I keep my database in Reunion on my Macintosh computers, so when I get a GEDCOM file from someone I import it into a new empty clone of my family file (the clone has no data, but all the fields set up as I want them based on my current file). I then sort through it there to see what is new, and import it, usually in pieces, into my main database, and do the merging there before exporting a new GEDCOM file to import in to TNG.

But I must say this Matching and Merging is one of the most nerve-wracking things I do on my computer - you have to know what the end result is going to be so that you can be sure you've achieved that, otherwise you surely end up with people married to the same person twice, having duplicate kids somewhere etc.

Roger

Chris Lloyd

If you use a PC you can also view and edit and maker other actions using Mudcreek

software.

Nigel Reed

Chris, I've already purchased genealogy software so I shouldn't really have to purchase another. 

I think I'm going to import what I have into a new table and start working through the tree, delete duplicates except those that lead to a new section of the tree, then reimport into the existing tree. 

Chris Lloyd
8 hours ago, Nigel Reed said:

Chris, I've already purchased genealogy software so I shouldn't really have to purchase another.

Your choice of course but no one example of software is perfect - look on the forums here and see how many issues there are with gedcoms made by the different desktop genealogy programs.

dbeezley

For years I had been doing TNG sites, but I was doing my work on Ancestry and couldn't keep up with TNG. Since then, my work has expanded to a worldwide Beasley Surname Study associated with the Guild of On-Name Studies. At this point, I manage about 120 lineage trees along with a YDNA Project.

As my mortality has come to my attention (an aging body does that) I began to think about preservation. At about the same time, the Guild started a service of hosting One-Name Studies on their servers. They work with Joomla, WordPress, HTML sites and TNG. While my own (crippled) website is at http://beasleygenealogy.net, I started a Joomla/TNG site at http://beasley.one-name.net. I've been using that site to periodically archive my Ancestry Trees. The easiest way is to just do a full overwrite whenever I update it.

So, HERE'S THE QUESTION: I want to move toward a more active role for the Joomla/TNG site. I'd like to go to updates rather than overwrites. But I'm not sure how it works. It seems that if I do all my work on Ancestry, whether I replace or overwrite should have the same result. The trick is, what if I'm editing both TNG and Ancestry. What happens if I make edits on both sides and then do an update? It seems that it should work to add new Ancestry material without losing and work on TNG. Is that right? OTOH, it seems like there would be a point that more extensive changes on both sides could be a trainwreck. So what do I need to know? Is it possible to update edits on both sides? Are there limits I should observe to avoid a trainwreck?