TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
ADC

Reduce Number of Lines in Events in Person Screen

ADC

Hello All,

I am interested in seeing if anyone has any further ideas on something that has been raised previously in this post:

It may be because I'm a bit of a tidy-freak, but I find the person page a bit cluttered and hard to read when each event is on 2 or more lines. I would like to modify the code that produces this:

large.jpg

To something that produces this:

small.jpg

I am aware that there is an option which can collapse the data in the events section, however this is not what I am looking to do: it does tidy the page up, but opening each drop-down is too tedious.

I'm also aware that the code to do this probably sits in the showevent function in the getperson.php code. As other, far more knowledgeable, posters have said in the linked post, this is a complex bit of coding. I did have a stab at it a few years ago, but life got in the way.

I have communicated with Darrin and he is not aware of anyone else working on this, and suggested I post here. I was just hoping some of the experts here might be able to give me a few pointers to get started, and maybe point out any pitfalls I have not considered. I'm not sure if the showevent function is called elsewhere, and whether any modifications would have detrimental results on those calls.

I have also been thinking of grouping the events by type and then sorting by date, so that all the Residence events appear, then all the Occupation events, and so on. Although this is probably for a different, later, rainy day!

Any help or pointers much appreciated, thank you.

Adrian.

ADC

Well, although I had been searching this topic for days, with no real success, I have just found this: https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php/Regroup_Person_Profile

Which is a mod that does, among other things, what I am looking for. It is written by Robin Richmond.

I will investigate further and report back. If anyone else is interested, let me know and I may be able to produce a mod myself, or at least share the code.

Adrian.