TNG Community
Philip Roy

Reunion 12 to TNG 12 - media and GEDCOM issues

Philip Roy

Hi all,

First post...and I am on my first steps trying to move a copy of My Reunion 12 data, up to a website. I've read a lot of the how to's and am trying to get things right, but not everything is going well. I confess that I've backed up the database for my site using phpMyAdmin and have wiped and re-loaded it a few times :-)

This post in particular strikes a lot of chords with me - https://tng.community/index.php?/forums/topic/12233-importing-my-media-files/

...and I am going to try and ask the questions related to the process of getting set up all in this thread. First question is about images in my "photos" folder.

Like Rick, I currently have a lot of subfolders in my photos folder....in fact, one of them I just looked at goes down 7 folder levels in depth...I found it a really useful way to organise images for various families and people (photos/surname/firstnames/children/grandchild etc...if you get what I mean).

I have FTP'd all the images up to my server. Note, all this is *before* I'm even working on the GEDCOM import and export.

I then go to Media --> Import, leave the drop-down at "Photos" and select the only family tree I intend to have, before clicking import.

Here's the thing...the import works, but it only goes down one level of my "photos" folder and imports the images setting in the next folders down...and then stops. So an image "test.jpg" sitting in the folder location /photos/Smith/test.jpg gets imported, but if I had an image in a folder at /photos/Smith/John/test.jpg...it wouldn't, and no other images below one folder level get imported.

I'm hoping I don't have to simplify my folder structure as it helps me keep Reunion organised and would require a lot of reimporting.

I'm using v12.2 of TNG. Sorry, I'm not intending to make my site public to anyone at the moment, so would prefer not to post a link.

Once I sort out the media import issues, I'll probably follow up in this thread with the GEDCOM process...although I think I kinda had that sorted.

Cheers,

Phil

Edited by Philip Roy

Philip Roy

Yep, repeatedly...my first attempts at a GEDCOM export/import was failure (no images showing), which is why I went back to focusing on sorting out media first.

So re that page...It's about importing media references into the database, correct? I had misinterpreted it as actually uploading the files, which I found odd...and knew wouldn't work. So the page is really...importing the references to the images mentioned in the GEDCOM file, that are already sitting on the server waiting to be used?

And by doing so, it then makes all the images appear in the appropriate media albums?

I'll give it another go using GEDCOM as my first approach. The GEDCOM file was producing a path that began with "~/Dropbox/Reunion/photos/", but I'll look on the forum as to whether there are any Dropbox issues...or that might be fine.

Thanks, Phil

theKiwi
2 hours ago, Philip Roy said:

So re that page...It's about importing media references into the database, correct? I had misinterpreted it as actually uploading the files, which I found odd...and knew wouldn't work. So the page is really...importing the references to the images mentioned in the GEDCOM file, that are already sitting on the server waiting to be used?

Yes - the GEDCOM file export from Reunion contains the paths to the media items, not the actual media items. That page is about getting Reunion and TNG settings in synch so that the links are seen in TNG as pointing to where TNG expects the media items to be.

And by doing so, it then makes all the images appear in the appropriate media albums?

Yes, if the various media items are separated into folders as that article specifies and TNG expects - i.e. photos, documents, headstones, etc

I'll give it another go using GEDCOM as my first approach. The GEDCOM file was producing a path that began with "~/Dropbox/Reunion/photos/", but I'll look on the forum as to whether there are any Dropbox issues...or that might be fine.

So you need to put

~/Dropbox/Reunion/photos

into the path box for Photos in TNG Import settings, 

~/Dropbox/Reunion/headstones

for the path to headstones, etc

Once you have this all set up, you'll need to delete ALL of the current media items in TNG before running the import to import the GEDCOM file again - this is to make sure that things are imported with the correct path, and then TNG should assign them to the correct collection.

Roger

Philip Roy

Success! Thanks a lot for your help.

I was very close with what I was doing, but I did some minor restructuring of Reunion folders (like moving multimedia into a folder outside of the photos folder) and when I changed the Reunion "pictures" folder (as I had called it for years) to "photos" I had also failed to update the TNG import path settings to match the new name...so it was looking in the wrong location.

Now I have images all working, I have a lot of other tidying up to get on to!

Many thanks, Phil