TNG Community

Who's online

matvernier

31 minutes ago, tngrlkrz said:

Realizing it's different software, how is the TNG Wiki able to post 'Who's Online'?  Is it similar to what Brent describes, ...utilizing some sort of timer?

This feature is common on lots of different sites - many bulletin board/forums have this feature - including this one.

image.png

It's probably directly connected to the ability of the forum to track what posts you've read so it keeps up with the list of Unread posts for each visitor.

Roger

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michel KIRSCH

• tngrlkrz

• Rob Severijns

• NLapierre

23 minutes ago, Brett said:

Ron

I understand that the TNG Wiki uses a MediaWiki extension to do this - https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:WhosOnline

There are many sites (search engine) which use  javascript for doing something similar,

Ron,

Note the the MediaWiki extension is not installed on the TNG Wiki, I think you mean the Forum

2 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

Thanks.  Yes, I meant the TNG forum.

It's just a built in part of the software that runs the forum - it's run by a software called Invision Power Board, but others like phpBB also have the feature. 

Roger

Michel KIRSCH

Thanks for all your comments/ideas.

Sorry, i don't read them before : was figthing with PHP ans dates (grrrrr !)

This beta3 version check for the user's activity in genlog.php (or userlog.txt if Customized Log Mod is installed).

Displays the number of users connected (=> Admin.php :color = parameter) and connected/active users (=>Admin/Users : background colors = parameters)

A user is "connected" if he is .... connected.

A user is "active" if he has read a page for less than x minutes (parameter).

Please try.

If it works, I'll make it more "Admin-friendly"...

Michel

show_online_users_v13.0.3.beta3.zip

Rob Severijns

Hi Michel,

First of all I want to thank you again for your efforts.

Tested a few things and here are my observations.

When I am logged in as an Admin everythig seems to be OK.

The different user (no admin rights) is using a different computer.

• When the user logs on in a new browser session the user is listed as an active user (Green) Correct 
    • After a certain amount of time the user is listed connected but inactive (Gray) Correct 
    • When that user becomes active again (browser session isn't closed) the user stays listed as connected and doesn't turn green again (stays gray). Wrong 

• When the user logs on in a new browser session the user is listed as an active user (Green) Correct
    • After a certain amount of time the user is listed connected but inactive (Gray) Correct 
    • When the user loggs off the user is listed as not connected. Correct 

• When a user logs on the user is listed as an active user (Green). Correct 
    • When the user closes the browser session without logging off the user is listed as not connected. (Gray) and doesn't list as not connected. Wrong

Will do some more testing tomorrow.

Rob

Michel KIRSCH
2 minutes ago, Rob Severijns said:

When that user becomes active again (browser session isn't closed) the user stays listed as connected and doesn't turn green again (stays gray)

Normally, the user will become "active" again when he reads his first page (everything is in PHP...).

If the user closes its browser without logoff and opens a session again within the xx minutes, it is normally considered directly as active

5 minutes ago, Rob Severijns said:

When the user closes the browser session without logging off the user

... stay connected. And It is normal. Not active but connected. A "disconnect action" can only comes from an user's action : the log off.

He can stay connected 1 year if he has checked the "stay connected..." checkbox... (cookie) And after 15 months, he is not yet disconnected...He will simply have to log in again..

I can't do anything to see if the user is gone to the Bahamas... Just say "This user is connected but inactive".

Eventually, I can say : if he is inactive since xx days (weeks/months), we can consider him as disconnected. It is possible

Michel

Michel KIRSCH
19 minutes ago, Rob Severijns said:

When that user becomes active again (browser session isn't closed)

Don't forget that i have no control on SESSION variables because they are local to the user's computer... The site himself doesn't "see" anything...

Michel

Edit : ... and thanks for testing ! :-)

Rob Severijns

Michel,

You're welcome :-)

6 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Eventually, I can say : if he is inactive since xx days (weeks/months), we can consider him as disconnected. It is possible

I guess setting a user as disconnected after a certain amount of time would be helpfull. I'd prefer min/hours instead of days/months.

9 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

Normally, the user will become "active" again when he reads his first page (everything is in PHP...).

If the user closes its browser without logoff and opens a session again within the xx minutes, it is normally considered directly as active

I don't see the user turn active (green) again. The user stays gray. 

Rob

Michel KIRSCH
1 hour ago, Rob Severijns said:

I don't see the user turn active (green) again. The user stays gray. 

OK Rob. Will do test on line on my side, to check what's going wrong...

This version beta 4 adds a link to admin_users.php on the menu bar, indicating the number of connected users.

Have a good night !

Michel

who is - menu bar.JPG

show_online_users_v13.0.3.beta4.zip

Though connection indicated,  clicking to admin_users, connected user stays gray, though active on pages.  Gray removed when user logs off.

Hello

I do tests too.

Three things appear to me to be incorrect:

1 - At the moment there is no one to connect on my site and in the menu bar it is registered Connected: 2

2 - In Administration/Users it is also registered Connected: 2

3 - If I open Users there are two who are registered logged in and they are grayed out while there is only 1 logged in and that's me.

For this mod it's a good start and there is still a lot to add/adjust

We will continue to help Michel test this mod.

Have a good day

Nlapierre

Michel KIRSCH
2 hours ago, tngrlkrz said:

Though connection indicated,  clicking to admin_users, connected user stays gray, though active on pages

Ron, do you use the Customized Logs mod?

Michel

to all : for your information : the mod works very well on my local site, but i encounter the same problems as you when testing on line...May be I forgot a code snippet in the mod.. Searching...

20 minutes ago, Michel KIRSCH said:

do you use the Customized Logs mod?

All testing on remote/online, BTW.   No, only use Prolog mod, but it was uninstalled for test.   I had uninstalled your mod, then reinstalled 2 hours later, and old user was still indicated connected.  Once that user log on, and log off, then user no longer colored.  No green, only gray colors.

Michel KIRSCH

I do some change in the code.

With Customized log installed, there are problems. Without, it works well.

It's certainly a problem of date comparison : Customized logs uses 4 differents date format (grrr).

I would have had less difficulties if Customized Logs had continued to update the genlog.txt file while updating its own logfiles

Michel KIRSCH

This is the beta5 version. (Tested on line with 2 users)

- Works with or without Customzed log Mod

- Adds a new parameter : when user is inactive since xx minutes, he is considered as "disconnected" (not more greyed in admin_users.php)

Hope this work for you...

Michel

show_online_users_v13.0.3.beta5.zip

Michel KIRSCH

You may still have some surprises: the year is never encoded in the logfiles ...
If the current datetime is 28 Feb 11:20 AM and a person consulted a line last year on 28 Feb at 11:15 am, it will be considered as active!
I still have to find a trick...

Have a good afternoon/evening !

Michel

Rob Severijns

Hello Michel,

1st observation for beta5 is that the mods tells me that 2 people are connected wich is correct but on the user page it shows me 3 users active (should be 2) and 3 more users connected (gray) which is incorrect. (should be zero in this case)

Rest seems to be working fine so far.

Edt:

Looks like everytime I logon a second user account is set to connected (gray)  

When the timer reaches the timelimet to set as user as disconected both are disconected (white)

so apperantly those two users are somehowe linked.

Rob

Edited by Rob Severijns
additional info

Hello Michel

With Beta 5 I always have 2 connected users and I am alone on my site and in Administration/Users all the Real Name/Email column is in gray on the first page and on the second page this same column is all white.

Normand Lapierre