TNG Community
Pops57

Simile Timeline not showing events - SOLVED!

Pops57

Hi all;

I had posted this in another, older, thread but decided perhaps it should be here. Forgive me for any duplication.

I'm still struggling to get the Simile Timeline to work properly. I've made the changes referenced earlier in this thread, in terms of changes to the history_html file, and by installing the  revised Timeline by SKDavis. I much appreciate all the help.

Here are the errors that are showing on the page. Can anyone help me with these errors, or point me to things to read or learn that might help me?

simile-ajax-bundle.js:1541 TypeError: Cannot read property 'documentElement' of null "XmlHttp: Error handling onReadyStateChange"

I have additional errors - similar verbiage - that I did not include, just for brevity. If I can find the error in this one, perhaps it will lead to the solution in the others. Maybe?

Thanks for any help or direction.

Mike

Pops57

Sorry to continue needing help, but -

Still trying to fix this Simile issue. Any help appreciated. I have gotten some great assistance from some others (thanks again Steve1200). Simile seems to work for everyone else.

I've uninstalled all mods, and reinstalled the files from the original installation (v. 12.1 and the 12.2 upgrades). I also deleted all events that I had previously added from the Timeline Events Library (backed them up) and added a couple new to test.Still no luck.

Errors are: 'documentElement' of null errors, "XmlHttp: Error handling onReadyStateChange" at simile-Ajax-bundle-.js, line 1541 and again at line 1543.  I'm at a loss. 

theKiwi

Can you either remove the requirement to log in to see a page on your site, or post here some UserID and password to get in to see this problem.

Roger

Pops57

Yes, of course. Use guest/guest.

Thank you Roger!

theKiwi

Have you uploaded a fresh copy of all the files in the timeline_2.3.1 folder to your site again?

I notice that the error messages reference httpxml, where your site is running at https.

Is https properly specified in your various TNG Admin - Setup places - like Genealogy URL?

Roger

Pops57

I have uploaded a fresh copy of timeline_2.3.1 but I can certainly do that again. I have the original download.

I'm afraid I'm not sure about the second question. I've looked at TNG Admin- Setup places, but not sure about the 'genealogy URL' This may not be what you mean, but when I look at my site's url in the address bar, it is showing https. 

Thank you for looking at this for me. I'm all ears and eager to learn, so please don't hesitate to give me any suggestions or advice you can. :)

manofmull

Mike

Roger is referring to Admin >>Setup >> Configuration >> General Settings >> Site Design and Definition

Genealogy URL:  my site as an example with https       https://mullfamilies.co.uk/

If your site address is just http, edit it to https

M

Pops57

Looking at the Admin>>Setup area now, it gives me a couple of questions as I've not done much in Setup. 

What about the Doctype Declaration? I have left it blank and reading the Help section for that, it says something about default XHTML. Is this a potential issue? Do I need to declare something different there?

manofmull

Mike

I believe that field is no longer required but it should do no harm to try what I have in mine, exactly as below

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN">

manofmull

Mike

In the same admin area, have you named a Default Tree?

It's best to leave this blank i.e. no default

Pops57

I tried both of those. I copied your "DOCTYPE info; and I indeed had named a Default Tree. So, I removed that to make it blank again.

Saved, and cleared cache. Still nothing....

Just fyi - right now, I only have one event in my Timeline, I had over 400 loaded from the Events Library I had downloaded. Thinking I could have had some error in those, I deleted them all and manually created just one new event - for President John F. Kennedy - just to test. I say that just to point out that I have very few - only one - event in the timeline.

-Mike

stores

For what it is worth, I have a Default Tree named and my Simile timeline works fine, so doubt that is the issue...

manofmull
21 minutes ago, stores said:

For what it is worth, I have a Default Tree named and my Simile timeline works fine, so doubt that is the issue...

Understandable if you have more than one tree, do you?

I remember Darrin told me years back not to make a solo tree default.

When I mentioned this to Mike above, I was clutching at straws! 😱

M

Pops57

Thanks.

I'm really at a loss. Of course, I'm a novice still, and trying to learn. And I'm certainly getting some really good advice and it is all greatly appreciated! All of you are wonderfully patient , kind, and helpful!!

The Simile seems to be working for everyone. One person even created a new test site from scratch and the Simile worked for them!

I've reinstalled about everything, if not everything. I've tried it in Chrome, Firefox, and IE. I've tried it on a different computer, an iPad, and iPhone. I've tried several different TNG Templates - 207, 4, 9, 16, 2 - 

Should I upload any particular files for review?

Is there a particular tutorial about the site I should study? I've reviewed several files, looking for errors, but I do not fully understand all the relationships between the files. How php files relate to js files, or css files, or what it means that "something isn't being called??" I Google the errors that I'm getting - like "TypeError: Cannot read property 'documentElement' of null "XmlHttp: Error handling onReadyStateChange" A @ simile-ajax-bundle.js:1541". But the results I get spin me in circles.

I need to learn so I'm all ears!

Thanks again!

-Mike

stores

No, i only have one tree and have always had it set to that tree as a default and have had no problems.

theKiwi
2 hours ago, Pops57 said:

Thanks.

I'm really at a loss. Of course, I'm a novice still, and trying to learn. And I'm certainly getting some really good advice and it is all greatly appreciated! All of you are wonderfully patient , kind, and helpful!!

The Simile seems to be working for everyone. One person even created a new test site from scratch and the Simile worked for them!

I've reinstalled about everything, if not everything. I've tried it in Chrome, Firefox, and IE. I've tried it on a different computer, an iPad, and iPhone. I've tried several different TNG Templates - 207, 4, 9, 16, 2 - 

Should I upload any particular files for review?

Is there a particular tutorial about the site I should study? I've reviewed several files, looking for errors, but I do not fully understand all the relationships between the files. How php files relate to js files, or css files, or what it means that "something isn't being called??" I Google the errors that I'm getting - like "TypeError: Cannot read property 'documentElement' of null "XmlHttp: Error handling onReadyStateChange" A @ simile-ajax-bundle.js:1541". But the results I get spin me in circles.

I need to learn so I'm all ears!

Thanks again!

-Mike

Have you tried going to your TNG Admin ------> Setup ------> Template Settings and turn off Template Selection so the site has no template at all. This would eliminate any chance it's the template causing this.

If it does work with Template Selection turned off, try turning on one of the TNG templates - any difference?

Roger

Pops57

Good thinking.

I turned off Template selection, but still no luck. I suppose that does eliminate the possibility of the Template causing it though, right?

Thank you Roger. 

Really strange, uh? Since it works for everyone else, obviously, its something I'm doing or have done. I have installed fresh version of timeline_2.3.1 and many other files as suggested. Is there a way for me to literally start from scratch without losing everything? I've done backups, so maybe that's my next step??? Kinda scared to that, but....

Pops57

Follow up question - just checking all the Setup menu options.

At Setup>>Table Creation>>Collation - I have "utf8_general_ci".

Is that correct, or should it be empty to accept the default?

stores

Yes, I also have "utf8_general_ci"

bhemph

Mike,
     It looks like your ajx_famtimelinexml.php is returning a carriage return to start the xml response, which is throwing one error.  Also ajx_timelinexml.php has the same issue.  I don't know if you have any mods that made that change to those files.  You can check by looking at Mod Manager > Analyze TNG Files and look for those two files in the list of files modified.  If they are not listed, then you can replace those files with the ones from the full download without affecting any mods.  If they are listed, then when you click on the file it will tell you what mods made changes to the file so you know which ones to try uninstalling.

Brent

Pops57

Thank you Brent.

Analyzing the mods did not show any mods that are touching those files. But I did replace those two files from the original installation. Still no change.

I'm still learning code, so could you help me further understand the "carriage return" issue you're referencing? Anything I could go in and fix maybe?

Or maybe you can look again at my site to see if you still see that error?

I would love to get this to work so I much appreciate your help!

-Mike

theKiwi
7 hours ago, Pops57 said:

Or maybe you can look again at my site to see if you still see that error?

Yes, the error is still there - if you look at this page

https://ellisofelkpark.com/ajx_famtimelinexml.php?primaryID=I13&amp;tree=ellis_Elk_Park&amp;chartwidth=

and then View the page Source code you'll see it starts with a blank line

image.png

but if you look at this page on my site

http://lisaandroger.com/tng/ajx_famtimelinexml.php?primaryID=I16&amp;tree=Roger&amp;chartwidth=

and then view the page source you see it starts at line 1

image.png

So something is causing that blank line - not sure what though if you're replaced the files Brent suggested. You could also replace

timeline.php
timeline2.php
timlineconfig.php

And see if that makes a difference

Roger

bhemph

Mike,
     Yes, it looks like it is something that the hosting software is doing, so it is not a bad file.  When I look at the source for just the HTML, it starts on line 2 instead of line 1 which makes me think that it is something the web server is adding when it sends the response.  I tried to see if I could get the surrounding white space parsed out somewhere in the similie timeline code, but have not been able to find a way that will allow for the changed field to stick.  It would show in the console as having removed the characters before "<?xml", but would not save that to the variable that is being used.  I think it is something you will have to report to Darrin so he can see if there is an updated version of similie timeline that handles it, or report the bug to the similie timeline developers and have them publish a fix for it.  You will need to send Darrin information about your web server settings from Setup >> Diagnostics > PHP Info Screen.  Then right click on the info, view frame source, save that source, take a look at the saved file to make sure it is the PHP info, and attach that to the message to Darrin so he can know the specifics of your host settings.  Darrin may know of a setting that needs changed to fix the issue.  Make sure to include a link to this thread in your message so he can see what has been tried and figured out.

Brent

Pops57

Thank you all yet again! Saying 'thanks' doesn't seem to be enough but know that I am very appreciative.

I have reinstalled several files now from the originals, including timeline.php, timeline2.php, timelineconfig.php, the entire js and css folders, uninstalled mods, etc. 

Brent, your latest response about some issue with the hosting software, and not a bad file, is interesting. Of course, I'm not versed enough yet to know exactly what all that means, nor how to try what you did myself. But I'll take all the suggestions and education I can get. I may have been changing those files as you were doing what you were doing. Don't know that that would have affected things?

I did reach out to Darrin a couple of days ago. He seemed to see the same errors others have mentioned but he is time-constrained at the moment. I will send the files as you suggest though.

Alternatively, Ii it time to do a full reinstall perhaps? If so, is there an existing tutorial to guide that process?

Thanks again everyone.