TNG Community

Installing a Local Server

BobD

I set up a local server on my computer by installing WAMP and TNG12.  When I run readme.html, the TNG installation guide starts but selecting "Set Permissions" does nothing but display "please wait, attempting to process..." and never goes any further.  I have tried several times to uninstall and reinstall TNG and WAMP with the same results.  What am I doing wrong ??

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BobD

• Ken Roy

• tngrlkrz

• John Paul

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bob,

What version of Wamp did you install?  Where did you download it from?

If you go to the Alterate site scroll down and find the Tools section and download and run the VisualC++ check tool to make sure you have all the required VisualC++ modules.

You need to install all the VisualC++ modules before you can install WampServer.  You also need to run the install as an Administrator

Thanks for the reply Ken.  I did all the things you suggested and nothing has changed. I uninstalled the previous installation, and reinstalled WAMPserver and TNG 11 but TNG seems to stall when I start "readme.html" and try to set permissions.

BOB, If wampserver installs correctly and you get the green icon showing it is up and running, then no need to uninstall and reinstall wampserver again. I would get Wampserver working, then work on TNG since you can not run TNG without Wampserver working.

Clipboard02.jpg

WAMPserver is working  think because when I first install it, the task bar icon comes up orange and after I change the port Apache is using from 8080 to 8090 the icon turns green. The thing I wonder about is when the icon is orange, putting the cursor on the icon shows 1 of 2 processes running and I thought there were 3 processes that needed to run (Apache, PHP, and SQL) ??

2 hours ago, BobD said:

WAMPserver is working  think because when I first install it, the task bar icon comes up orange and after I change the port Apache is using from 8080 to 8090 the icon turns green. The thing I wonder about is when the icon is orange, putting the cursor on the icon shows 1 of 2 processes running and I thought there were 3 processes that needed to run (Apache, PHP, and SQL) ??

Why are you changing the port assignment?

Are you running Skype? or some other server like IIS?

did you download and run the Tool to check the required VisualC++ packages like I recommended?  What where the results?

Ken,

I did download and run the VisualC ++ check tool and it showed 5 versions of Visual C++ (2008 x64,  2013 x64&x86,  & 2015-2019 x64 & x86) missing.  I followed your link ( All VC Redistribuable Packages (x86_x64) (32 & 64bits) downloaded it and installed it. Ran the tool again after installation. It showed 2 still missing. I then downloaded each separately and installed them. Ran the tool again and it showed all installed. Reinstalled WAMPserver and TNG but the problem remains. What now ??

1 hour ago, BobD said:

Ken,

I'm not running Skype or MS IIS.  I changed the port because when I ran WAMPserver>tools>check status of ports  it showed port 8080 in use.

Normally Wamp runs on port 80.  You have to do something to cause it to run on a different port.  Again, what version of WampServer did you install?  Did you run the install by right-clicking and select Run as Administrator?

Does the WampServer icon show green?

When you attempt to set the Permission in the TNG readme.html, does the PHP Error Log show any errors?  Does the Apache Log show any errors?

Left click the Wamp icon and select PHP and then PHP Error Log.  Likewise for the Apache Error Log, left click the Wamp icon and select Apache and then Apache error Log.

If you right click the Wamp icon, and then select Tools and then Test Port 80, who shows up as using Port 80?

Are you running readme.html from the local server (something like localhost/readme.html or localhost/tng/readme.html) in your browser. Not the file location like C:/wamp64/www/tng/readme.html

2 hours ago, BobD said:

Thanks to all for your help.  My local WAMPserver now appears to be working.

Glad you got it working.  It might help others if you indicated what you did to fix it. 

I keep forgetting about Microsoft opening html files in the browser, which of course would not call the php files needed to install TNG

14 hours ago, Brett said:

Not the file location like C:/wamp64/www/tng/readme.html

Hi Ken,

Just found out my local server is not working. I think WAMPserver  is working but I can't access TNG. When I put the address for the admin.php file in my browser, the readme.html file comes up. I'm still trying to figure out why.

If the admin.php URL returns the readme.html that means that the install was not completed to a point where the config.php file gets updated to set the flag correctly that TNG is installed.

As Brett indicated you need to use http://localhost/...  readme.html to do the install.  Did you have a database that you are attempting to connect to?  or do you need to create a database, which you may need to do outside of the TNG readme.html.

See the Setup - Database and Database - Creating articles.

If it is on the web, you cannot access it from your local computer.  You need to create a local database and at least take the readme install to the point where you can provide a database name, user and password and have TNG verify that it can connect.  You may also want to define a user and tree that matches your database on the web, 

Then you can backup your database on the web using Admin > Utilities.  Download the .bak files and restore them on you localhost.

That's exactly what I've been trying to do.  I even downloaded all the files from the web site with Filezilla. The problem I think is the data base name, user ID, and password I'm using in the local readme.html file don't want to work.

Did you create a database using phpMyAdmin like it says in the articles I referenced?  You need to get the readme up to the point where it verifies that the connection works in the readme.  Sounds like you did not do that. 

Also you never answered my question on what version of WampServer you installed.  If it was a full install of WampServer 3.2 then MySQL is no longer the default DBMS.  You can either specify port 3308 in the readme to connect to the MySQL server or you can switch the DBMS from MariaDB to MySQL.  Not entirely sure where that is done since I have not completed my documentation on a full install of WampServer since I am still working on getting my local server up to snuff.

WAMPserver v3.2.0.  I think between you and Kare I may have it going. One more question  --  When I tried to import my GEDCOM file I get the error message " Your 'gedcom' folder may have inadequate permissions (try 755 or 777). How do I do that ?

If you have a database on your Internet hosting service, I would recommend that you first backup that database, FTP the .bak files to your local TNG backup folder (as specified in the Admin > General Settings > Folders and Path section), and restore the database to your local computer.  GEDCOM exports from the host and import to local host may not include all your data.

If you later want to import a GEDCOM on your local computer from a desktop genealogy program, you could do so.   I have no idea why you would be getting a gedcom folder may have inadequate permissions on a Windows Apache environment.   As far as I know, you would need to use the Windows File Explorer, Properties on a right click on the GEDCOM folder and use the Security tab to change the users permissions.