TNG Community
Pat Downs

Burial Website Media Import error messages meaning

Pat Downs

I really like this mod.  But I've been having a few problems.  I have about 1,000 Findagrave citations.  (Ugh, it took me two weeks to update all those citations.  I'm now pretty good at looking up graves on Findagrave, but that's beyond the scope of TNG.  I'll post some tips elsewhere.)

For just a couple of the citations I get the error message FAILED (3) and for most of the citations I get the message FAILED (2).   The FAILED (2) messages start at about 25% of the way through and every citation gets the FAILED (2) return code at that point.  But the funny thing is, for the ones that receive FAILED (2) they all work!

What do FAILED (3) and FAILED (2) mean specifically?  I can't find it in the mod documentation.

Any comment on this message would also be helpful.

MediaLink Updates:215, MediaLink Unchanged:601, MediaLink Errors:0, Website Errors:607
Find A Grave: had trouble with getting website information and had trouble with the TNG database.

Don't believe everything you read.  I'm actually making good progress!

manofmull

I discussed this problem in great detail with Wendel, the mod creator.

It worked 100% of the time when FindaGrave was using http on it's old site.

FindaGrave were bought I think by Ancestry and they changed to a new site with https.

It's FindaGrave's new layout that's causing the problems. Most if not all pages have an ID number but they also have the "same" page with peoples names in the address bar.

It got so annoying for me that I gave up on the mod = no fault of Wendel's. It still works 100% on BillionGraves.

I have other websites for linking to:  Canadagenweb, Geni and others, so I decided to create new collections (media types) for those and the two that the mod covers.

FindaGrave is the problem and there's so much incorrect info on that site, they are not worth the trouble.

Michael

Pat Downs

So I kept after this because I like the mod (Thank you , Wendel) and honestly, I also like Findagrave.  I think their user interface is the best and with the new indexing capabilities they added a few weeks ago I find it much faster to find memorials.

Here's a couple final observations:

About 75% of my media updates (there are 974 of them total) terminate with a FAILED (2) message.  I have no clue what FAILED (2) means but don't be disturbed by every message you get!  They all work just fine.

It takes about 73 seconds to run through my list of 974 BURI records.  4 of them time out with > 4 second response times from Findagrave.  So if you subtract those 4 the rate of successful inquiries was about 17 per second.  That seems pretty good to me.

I still have one FAILED (3) and I can attest that is not a good message.  It doesn't work.  But I am confident I can add it by hand.  I have to, there's just one to go.

So I'm declaring victory and would suggest to anyone else to go ahead and try the mod with Findagrave if they want.  (I have 2 (two) Billion Graves sources and the mod has not had any problems with them.)

Pat

Pat Downs

It's not clear to me what the problem is with the one FAILED (3).  Everything looks correct when I look at that individual and at his media entry.  My symptom is there is no findagrave hyperlink when I look up the individual.  Where is that activated?

Answer - in the media link for the media in the Find A Grave photo collection.  I had the wrong individual.  See below.

Edited by Pat Downs
Providing answer

Pat Downs

(I know I'm just talking to myself ...)

I found my problem.  The media link for the media had the wrong individual.  Instead of correctly having "i1081" it had "i1080"  I added a correct media link and everything took off working. 

I caused this problem.  It turns out, both individual 1080 and 1081 have the same name (father and son) and are buried in the same cemetery.  I gave them both the same memorial number and that's a mistake.  FAILED (3) must have something to do with this duplication.  Neither one of these was working.

Both are working now.  The Burial Website Media Import mod lives on!  I know of nothing wrong with it.  Thank you Wendell.