TNG Community
Deb W

Order of Events

Deb W

I thought I set up the Event Orders properly, but it is not displaying as expected. I am not sure I am doing it right. How should I be setting the "order" for facts?

EXPECTED RESULTS: If an individual has 2 birth records, those records should be displayed one after the other.

ACTUAL RESULTS: There seems to be no rhyme or reason to how the facts are orders.

SPECIFICS:

(1) EVENT TYPES PAGE: the GEDCOM events and CUSTOM events are all set to "accept."

(2) EVENT TYPES PAGE: For the "Order Number" field, I have the following:

ORDER .... TAG ..... DISPLAY

1 Name Name

2 AKA Also Known As

3 BIRTH Birth

4 DEAT Death

etc.

(3) GEDCOM DATA: This is an example of the GEDCOM data for an individual with two birth records:

1 NAME Amerit /Thompson/

1 SEX F

1 NAME Amonite /Price/

1 NAME Amart /Thompson/

1 NAME Ambert /Thompson/

1 NAME Ameret /Thompson/

2 SOUR @S03381@

2 SOUR @S02220@

1 NAME Amort /Thompson/

2 SOUR @S02251@

2 SOUR @S02235@

2 SOUR @S01767@

1 BIRT

2 DATE 27 OCT 1853

2 PLAC Charlotteville Township, Norfolk County, Ontario, Canada

2 SOUR @S02508@

1 BIRT

2 DATE OCT 1855

2 SOUR @S01848@

(4) DISPLAY: Not what I expected. The order of the facts is shown below. The two birth records aren't grouped together; same with census records. Death is shown almost last, not as the 4th fact.

(You can view the record here: http://www.wetlaufer.com/family/getperson....D=I767&tree=01)

Birth

Sex

Name

Name

Name

Name

Name

Birth

Census

Census

Residence

Residence

Census

Residence

Census

Residence

Residence

Died

Buried

What am I doing wrong??

aewold

The order of Events is only applicable in the list of Events (for the admin functions), not in the individual's reports, etc.

The events in individuals' reports are sorted by date.

Russellgs

The order of Events is only applicable in the list of Events (for the admin functions), not in the individual's reports, etc.

The events in individuals' reports are sorted by date.

HI,

:? Yes but how do you use it and what would be the purpose of the event order. There is no reference to it in the help files.

I have added three launguages to my database and would like to only go into these fields once to set them up. :cry:

Russ

aewold

The purpose of the Event Oder is to easily sort how the events are listed to an administator.

For example, you could group all the vital records related events in the 100's, the military events in the 200's, and so on.

It doesn't change how they are displayed on an individual's page, just helps in organizing them for administrator's use.

mrstucci

Did anyone get anywhere with display order? I really don't want a custom event, Obituary, displayed before the Death Date but I haven't figured out how to display the different events, notes, etc. so that I like how it looks. Help please, Judy