TNG Community

Best practices / tips / words of wisdom?

John M

I've been wanting to create a genealogy website using TNG for a while now  Too many relatives are getting too old who have too much information only in their heads.

I want to integrate with WordPress so the site can have discussion forums and other features easily taken care of by WordPress.  I want to prototype a site on a Raspberry Pi 4.  I'd like to make my mistakes there rather than a real live site for now.  The technology piece is not what I worry about; it's setting up a TNG site so users enjoy the experience, data is secure, it supports long term growth and use, etc.

So, some example questions...  Is there material available here or elsewhere that provide best practices / advice on how to set up a TNG based site?  Why use a Tree or not?  How do I cover myself legally?  What should a user agreement contain?  I'm looking to build off what others have learned...

Thank you.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using TNG for 5 months and have a growing site that I started as private while I created something substantial.  But I want to come out of the shadows and make it public with hopes of connecting with cousins and sharing what I know about my ancestors.  Are there security concerns that I should be aware of?  I want to share the photos, the stories, the documents but are there risks?

As an aside, Cees, I love your Kloosterman site and wasn't aware it was TNG at first. Now, I'm hearing the call to learn WordPress and spend months converting my site.  I love learning new things but when do I have time for researching my ancestors?