TNG Community

Source content: place?

fluffy82

I know there's no right or wrong and it's just about choices, but I'm curious about how you handle it...

Many of my sources (citations) are difficult to decipher because of the handwriting or image quality, or they are in Latin. To save my readers from excessive frustration, I include transcriptions and translations to most citations. Where do you put them?

1. in the media description, so the transcription is visible when the image is shown
  2. in the citation text, so the transcription is visible at the bottom of the profile with the sources list, but not when you look at the image
  3. you don't add transcriptions, all info in there is represented in the data and there's no need to facilitate reading the original documents 

• 3 weeks later...
Robin Richmond

I recommend putting the translation in the bodytext field of the media record for the original document image. (I assume that the originals are presented as images.)  It's not a translation, but you can see a media item with both an image and body text at
https://www.robinrichmond.com/family10/showmedia.php?mediaID=2176

If you add body text to an image on your site, the presentation in showmedia.php will be different, because I have modified the layout of showmedia.php with an unpublished mod.  The mod centers the title and description at the top, and provides some styles specifically for bodytext - and affects admin_editmedia.php, too.  I'm happy to share the mod.  It is in decent shape;  I just have too many published mods to work on for me to take the time to document and publish it now.

- Robin 

I use the media body text for translations.  See https://www.royandboucher.com/tng/showmedia.php?mediaID=285
where I translated the original Latin text in the image to both French and English.  Image is used on my site with license provided by the Department Archives of Yonne,

the showmedia page does use my Show table mod to move the TNG text below the image