TNG Community

Place Map issues

fluffy82

I have always had the Place Map mod, and it has always worked quite well (besides the loading time).

Since some time I haven't really looked at it, and when I went to the page today, it displayed almost nothing. At some point the script also stops, as the footer is not loaded. Except uninstalling and re-installing the mod a couple of times when finding out about another problem, I haven't touched it...

Inspecting it, I get dozens of 403 errors ("failed to load resource", mostly .gif and .png files) and the placemap.js says "cannot read property 'checked' of null"...

Any ideas on how to solve it? I already tried removing it and downloading a new version from the Wiki, that didn't help.

1 hour ago, fluffy82 said:

new version from the Wiki,

What is the URL Link for the mod on the TNG Wiki?  There is no Place Map mod shown in the Mods for TNG v12.

24 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

What is the URL Link for the mod on the TNG Wiki?  There is no Place Map mod shown in the Mods for TNG v12.

The mod is here. It says "TNG 11" but it has always worked under TNG 12 as well.

The map and footer suddenly work again since 15 minutes, but the images are not loaded (except the map itself, that one loads). And it seems to have a similar problem as I have with the rest of my website since a week or so: I continously get logged out.

My website has several direct links to TNG profiles. For example on the homepage, you can click on the portrait of one of my 4 grandparents, which brings you to their profile. Only, while the profile loads, the media don't. Not only the photographs, but also the icons etc. Not a single image loads. The log-in status in the footer shows I'm logged out, even if I was logged in before.
When I go to a person profile through TNG, for example via a search, I remain logged in and the media show correctly.

This seems to be happening to the Place Map as well: it all loads, except the images (pins, arrows, icons,...). And the footer says I'm logged out, even if I logged in 5 minutes ago.

Another thing that's happening, but I don't know if it's related: sometimes, but not always, my browser says my website "is not secure", trying to block access to it, and when I force access it shows a red padlock on top. I checked with my provider, and they say everything is normal, I haven't been hacked or anything.

Looks like the developer never added the category to indicate the mod works in TNG v12.  Use the Mod Support link to contact the developer.  He might not be watching the TNG Community Forum

3 hours ago, fluffy82 said:

This seems to be happening to the Place Map as well: it all loads, except the images (pins, arrows, icons,...). And the footer says I'm logged out, even if I logged in 5 minutes ago.

A bit over a week ago was this thread

when I looked at it from his site, the problem was that the pins on the map had status 403 in the JavaScript console. I suggested he check with his provider as to what might be causing the 403 forbidden error to occur on some pins randomly. I haven't heard back, and my log in at his site no longer works so I can't check if it's fixed. @etysne -  what was the resolution of this problem?

Roger

Hi

Solved late yesterday. It was a server problem:

Answer from Host: The problem was that the same image was requested from the server 2 or more times in succession and a security mechanism to avoid DDOS on the server failed, rejecting connection attempt # 2.

Regards

Edvard

Ok, thanks. I contacted my provider and see what they say.

My provider couldn't find a reason for the 403 errors. But they did find a solution. They changed my hosting package and now send all static content through nginx in stead of apache, because that works faster. And the problem is now solved.

My TNG v. 12.2; I have no other mods currently installed. OpenStreet Map v.12.0.0.5 - Cannot install mod (see text below).  Wiki link for Mod Support points to this TNG Forum page.

Author: Erik Hoppe

This mod creates OSM maps if you have no GoogleMap API key.
Note the Edit Options after install.

Updates from v12.0.0.4:
* Some map-settings showed blank map but all the rest - Thanks to Patricia Hobbs for the alert.
* Zoom > 17 (max f Satellite) zoomed out when toggled.

Please report errors using the Mod Support link at the Wiki page.
Support this mod by adding your site to the Site list at the Wiki page!
Thank You,
Erik

flags:
@  optional
^  (provisional) must be available
~  protected

line 27: %copyfile: osmmaplib.php  not copied
Source: mods/OpenStreetMap.5/osmmaplib.php
line 28: %copyfile: osmmaplib2.php  not copied
Source: mods/OpenStreetMap.5/osmmaplib2.php
line 29: %copyfile: osmmapdrawthemap.php  not copied
Source: mods/OpenStreetMap.5/osmmapdrawthemap.php
line 30: %copyfile: heatmap_OSM.php  not copied
Source: mods/OpenStreetMap.5/heatmap_OSM.php
line 31: %copyfile: osm_settings.php  not copied
Source: mods/OpenStreetMap.5/osm_settings.php
line 32: %copyfile: osmmapswitch.js  not copied
Source: mods/OpenStreetMap.5/osmmapswitch.js
line 33: %copyfile2: css/ol.css  not copied
Source: mods/OpenStreetMap.5/ol.css
line 34: %copyfile2: css/ol-geocoder.min.css  not copied
Source: mods/OpenStreetMap.5/ol-geocoder.min.css
line 35: %copyfile2: css/ol-popup.css  not copied
Source: mods/OpenStreetMap.5/ol-popup.css
line 36: %copyfile2: js/ol.js  not copied
Source: mods/OpenStreetMap.5/ol.js
line 37: %copyfile2: js/ol-geocoder.js  not copied
Source: mods/OpenStreetMap.5/ol-geocoder.js
line 38: %copyfile2: js/ol-popup.js  not copied
Source: mods/OpenStreetMap.5/ol-popup.js
line 39: %copyfile2: img/osmpin.png  not copied
Source: mods/OpenStreetMap.5/osmpin.png
line 40: %copyfile2: img/osmmap.gif  not copied
Source: mods/OpenStreetMap.5/osmmap.gif
line 41: %copyfile2: img/osmsatel.gif  not copied
Source: mods/OpenStreetMap.5/osmsatel.gif
line 50: %target:genlib.php% verified
line 51: %location:% #1 not installed
line 66: %location:% #2 not installed
line 81: %location:% #3 not installed
line 102: %target:personlib.php% verified
line 103: %location:% #1 not installed
line 124: %target:admin_main.php% verified
line 125: %location:% #1 not installed
line 150: %target:admin_editplace.php% verified
line 151: %location:% #1 not installed
line 178: %location:% #2 not installed
line 201: %location:% #3 not installed
line 216: %location:% #4 not installed
line 237: %location:% #5 not installed
line 269: %location:% #6 not installed
line 295: %target:admin_editmedia.php% verified
line 296: %location:% #1 not installed
line 323: %location:% #2 not installed
line 357: %location:% #3 not installed
line 389: %location:% #4 not installed
line 417: %target:admin_newplace.php% verified
line 418: %location:% #1 not installed
line 445: %location:% #2 not installed
line 461: %location:% #3 not installed
line 483: %location:% #4 not installed
line 498: %location:% #5 not installed
line 531: %location:% #6 not installed
line 557: %target:admin_editcemetery.php% verified
line 558: %location:% #1 not installed
line 585: %location:% #2 not installed
line 608: %location:% #3 not installed
line 623: %location:% #4 not installed
line 655: %location:% #5 not installed
line 683: %target:admin_newcemetery.php% verified
line 684: %location:% #1 not installed
line 711: %location:% #2 not installed
line 733: %location:% #3 not installed
line 748: %location:% #4 not installed
line 781: %location:% #5 not installed
line 809: %target:admin_places.php% verified
line 810: %location:% #1 not installed
line 826: %location:% #2 not installed
line 849: %location:% #3 not installed
line 872: %location:% #4 not installed
line 889: %location:% #5 not installed
line 913: %target:getperson.php% verified
line 914: %location:% #1 not installed
line 929: %location:% #2 not installed
line 944: %location:% #3 not installed
line 960: %location:% #4 not installed
line 975: %location:% #5 not installed
line 992: %location:% #6 not installed
line 1009: %location:% #7 not installed
line 1026: %location:% #8 not installed
line 1043: %location:% #9 not installed
line 1068: %target:placesearch.php% verified
line 1069: %location:% #1 not installed
line 1085: %location:% #2 not installed
line 1100: %location:% #3 not installed
line 1123: %target:headstones.php% verified
line 1124: %location:% #1 not installed
line 1140: %location:% #2 not installed
line 1166: %target:showmap.php% verified
line 1167: %location:% #1 not installed
line 1186: %location:% #2 not installed
line 1202: %location:% #3 Bad target
line 1228: %target:heatmap.php% verified
line 1229: %location:% #1 not installed
line 1263: %target:@osm_settings.php% file missing (optional) will ignore

• code modifications specified: 54; modified: 0
  • file copies specified: 15; copied: 0
  • new files specified: 0; created: 0
  • new folders specified: 0; created: 0
  • errors: 1
tng_more.gif
The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding, v.12.2

3 hours ago, DelG said:
line 1166: %target:showmap.php% verified

line 1167: %location:% #1 not installed
line 1186: %location:% #2 not installed
line 1202: %location:% #3 Bad target

Del,

You show a Bad target in the showmap.php file.  Did you have any previous mods installed against showmap.php that might not have been uninstalled?

Can you attached your version of showmap.php or send it to me via my web site Contact Us link

Del,

The OpenStreetMap mod is looking for the original line that is in the TNG version of showmap.php

if($map['key'] && $map['pins'])
	echo "<div id=\"map\" class=\"rounded10 cemmap\"></div>\n";

Your attached module has the following code

if($map['key'] && $map['pins'])
	echo "<div id=\"map\" style=\"width: {$map['hstw']}; height: {$map['hsth']};margin-bottom:20px;\" class=\"rounded10\"></div>\n";

which you can see does not match what the mod is looking for.  You either have another mod install that changed the style or you manually modified the showmap.php code.  I do not recognize the code you are using so I cannot say if it came from another mod that did not get completely uninstalled or cleaned up.

If you are not running any other mods, then you can copy the showmap.php file from the TNG full install for TNG v12.2

By the way, your problem is not related to the Place Map which is a different mod.

• 2 weeks later...
Martin Kilkie
On 12/17/2019 at 8:34 PM, fluffy82 said:

I have always had the Place Map mod, and it has always worked quite well (besides the loading time).

Since some time I haven't really looked at it, and when I went to the page today, it displayed almost nothing. At some point the script also stops, as the footer is not loaded. Except uninstalling and re-installing the mod a couple of times when finding out about another problem, I haven't touched it...

Inspecting it, I get dozens of 403 errors ("failed to load resource", mostly .gif and .png files) and the placemap.js says "cannot read property 'checked' of null"...

Any ideas on how to solve it? I already tried removing it and downloading a new version from the Wiki, that didn't help.

I have had the same problems today. Until today I was on version 12.1 and just updated to 12.2. At first the mod worked fine. I noticed on the map that one of my tree members had a place missing (because I hadnt added it) so I added the place to their entry and then went to Places: Geocode to check it was ok. The address did geocode properly but after that I got  the same blank placemap you mention. 

Martin Kilkie

Seems similar to Fluffy82 where I get 403 errors.I have been checking through the console and see these errors:

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ',' – placemap.php:945

945 placemap.Marker(585,55.6636527,-3.7823471,,"kilkie","Glasgow, Lanark, 35 Newhall Street, Scotland",{1911:{e:5}});

When I looked closely I found that the problem was the double ,, which was caused by the place having no placelevel!

When I corrected (320) places to add a placelevel the problem with Placemap went away.

I dont know if the empty placelevel was introduced in upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2 but that is when it appeared.

hope this helps someone.

• 2 months later...
Ken Spratlin
On 1/5/2020 at 5:51 PM, Martin Kilkie said:

Seems similar to Fluffy82 where I get 403 errors.I have been checking through the console and see these errors:

Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected token ',' – placemap.php:945

945 placemap.Marker(585,55.6636527,-3.7823471,,"kilkie","Glasgow, Lanark, 35 Newhall Street, Scotland",{1911:{e:5}});

When I looked closely I found that the problem was the double ,, which was caused by the place having no placelevel!

When I corrected (320) places to add a placelevel the problem with Placemap went away.

I dont know if the empty placelevel was introduced in upgrade from 12.1 to 12.2 but that is when it appeared.

hope this helps someone.

Unlike Martin, I did not look at any maps after updating from TNG 12.1 to 12.2. I noticed what appears to be the same problem yesterday after updating from TNG 12.2 to 12.3.

Issue: The Heat Map accessed from any of the Place List pages is only displaying a few of the places.

My configuration: I use Google Maps. The problem occurs with no map mods installed, although I usually have the Ancester Map mod installed. I import my tree from a ged file. It has about 4,000 places. I have never set any Place Levels, and it worked before TNG 12.2. All ~4,000 Place Levels are displayed as "0" in Admin/Places, although I guess I'm not sure if they are actually "null" and merely displayed as "0".

3 questions:

1) Was the cause of this problem ever identified? I see at least 2 work arounds being discussed (e.g changing the server hosting package, adding place levels). But these imply two very different underlying issues.

2) What is Place Level used for in TNG? I have been unable to find a complete explanation for this. The only example I've found is for the number of and color of balloons displayed with some of the maps. The Heat Map issue however is not completely explained by this. The Heat Map is also not displaying all the places (the underlying colored areas, as well as the numbers and pins).

3) Was TNG modified (appears to have occurred in TNG 12.2) (intentionally or unintentionally) to require Place Levels to be set in order for the Maps to work "correctly"?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated!

Ken

Ken,

Maps and Heat Maps only show places that are geocoded - that is have a latitude and longitude value. 

Place Levels are used to set the pin legend below the map.  If you do not assign Place Levels when geocoding places, then no Legend will display below the maps

TNG was not modified, but your hosting service might have changed PHP level or Google Map server might have changed.  Without specific PHP error messages of Javascript error messages it is difficult to diagnose problems.

There is a lot of documentation on the TNG Wiki in the Google Maps under the Category heading in the left sidebar.  Note that if you are not seeing a left sidebar on the TNG Wiki pages, then your browser is likely running in mobile mode.   You could look at Mass Updates of Place and Zoom Levels