TNG Community
homeless

GEDCOM Files from Ancestry

homeless

I have looked around and I am sure this has been asked many times...I am starting from scratch due to my hosting account being hacked. I downloaded my GEDCOM from Ancestry which I had spent many hours researching and documenting my family history and added a large amount of media. When I downloaded the Ancestry file, and uploaded it to TNG, non of the media came with it. Instead, it shows a generic icon and it links back to Ancestry to download a document ...or more frustrating is a file name on the TNG site (see below) Some of these photos I no longer have. 

Is there some way to DL from ancestry to include the media files......or some sort of work around?

Over the years, I have used several PC's and I would have to search all of them individually to try and recreate what I had.

Many thanks,

Dan

image.png

theKiwi

To get the images themselves rather than the links to them at Ancestry you need to use Family Tree Maker's latest version to sync a database on your desktop to your online tree at Ancestry.

This brings the media images down to your computer.

Then create a GEDCOM file from Family Tree Maker and upload that to TNG. Separately you need to upload the images to TNG, and then hopefully the GEDCOM file links will link to the images on your TNG site

Roger

homeless

Thanks, I really appreciate your advice....break time is over...back on my head *grin*

fluffy82

A gedcom never includes media, only links. If you create a gedcom with ancestry, the links will point to ancestry.

If you have the tree and media on your PC, as Roger describes, the links will point to the folder(s) on your PC. The trick is to give the media folder(s) on your PC and in TNG the same name, so TNG is tricked into finding them :)

You can use Family Tree Maker (not necessarily the latest version, the previous one, FTM2017, works perfectly too) but also RootsMagic. RM is more difficult to use than FTM, but the gedcom that are exported are better for import into TNG. An FTM gedcom needs to be modified (there's a mod for that) to be able to correctly import.

Tom

TBirdUK
On 12/16/2019 at 8:37 AM, fluffy82 said:

A gedcom never includes media, only links.

Incorrect statement.
GEDCOM 5.5 standard does include a specification for embedding multimedia within the GEDCOM file which TNG supports,
Some desktop applications such as Ancestral Quest do support the 5.5 standard although Ancestry does not.
TNG imports media embedded in the GEDCOM perfectly.

fluffy82
1 hour ago, TBirdUK said:

Incorrect statement.
GEDCOM 5.5 standard does include a specification for embedding multimedia within the GEDCOM file which TNG supports,
Some desktop applications such as Ancestral Quest do support the 5.5 standard although Ancestry does not.
TNG imports media embedded in the GEDCOM perfectly.

A gedcom is a text file, which per definition does not contain media, it is physically impossible (in the current form) to include multimedia files in a text file.

There are many websites that describe gedcoms and how they work. Here's one:

https://wiki.phpgedview.net/en/index.php/FAQ:Pictures_and_Multimedia

TBirdUK

"A gedcom is a text file, which per definition does not contain media, it is physically impossible (in the current form) to include multimedia files in a text file."

Physically impossible? A text file is a BINARY file, a media File is a BINARY file, every file in a Computer system is BINARY we define what the bits represent by telling the program what to do with them, a processor doesn't know or care what we call the collection of bits it just follows the programming in the executable that opens the file.

A GEDCOM is held in a file called GED it is not held in a file called .TXT how the contents are decoded is defined by the prgram that opens the file.

There are many web sites, not all know everything and not all have bothered reading the Standard.

Looking at Web sites that are trying to promote a product is not exactly a reliable source as if their product does not perform a function they ignore it. TNG is an exception and does read the media
Here are 2 sites that have bothered reading the standard

Lesser-known features

GEDCOM has many features that are not commonly used, and hence are unknown to some people. Some software packages do not support all the features that the GEDCOM standard allows.

Multimedia

The GEDCOM standard supports the inclusion of multimedia objects (for example, photos of individuals).[50] Such multimedia objects can be either included in the GEDCOM file itself (called the "embedded form") or in an external file where the name of the external file is specified in the GEDCOM file (called the "linked form"). Embedding multimedia directly in the GEDCOM file makes transmission of data easier, in that all of the information (including the multimedia data) is in one file, but the resulting file can be enormous. Linking multimedia keeps the size of the GEDCOM file under control, but then when transmitting the file, the multimedia objects must either be transmitted separately or archived together with the GEDCOM into one larger file. 

The actual GEDCOM 5.5 standard definition is here
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~pmcbride/gedcom/55gcappe.htm#S1

Introduction:

Embedded multimedia objects in GEDCOM requires special handling. These objects are normally represented by binary files containing characters which interfere with data transmission protocols. This document describes how the binary characters are encoded for transmission and then decoded to rebuild the multimedia file.

The algorithm for encoding binary images, compatible with GEDCOM transmission, is similar to an encoding scheme that would be used in creating a hexadecimal representation, but it uses a base-64 number representation rather than base-16 number representation.

Encoding:

This algorithm is for converting multimedia images represented in binary numbers into a collection that does not contain any of the ASCII control characters. This conversion eliminates the occurrence of special characters such as the "@" which has special meaning to GEDCOM.

The encoding routine converts a binary multimedia file segment of from 1 to 54 bytes in length into an encoded GEDCOM line value of 2 to 64 bytes in length. This encoded value becomes the <ENCODED_MULTIMEDIA_LINE> used in the MULTIMEDIA_RECORD.

fluffy82
24 minutes ago, TBirdUK said:

Physically impossible? A text file is a BINARY file, a media File is a BINARY file, every file in a Computer system is BINARY we define what the bits represent by telling the program what to do with them, a processor doesn't know or care what we call the collection of bits it just follows the programming in the executable that opens the file.

If you would insert media files as a binary code into a gedcom, it will become impossible to manage or read without importing it first into a program that can read it. As you said yourself, almost NO genealogy program accepts binary media in the gedcom, and gedcom itself has abandoned it in the first update following the release of version 5.5 (from Wikipedia: Support for embedding media directly was dropped in the draft 5.5.1 standard).

TBirdUK

"almost NO genealogy program accepts binary media in the gedcom,"
I wonder what you call TNG which is what this forum is supposed to be about?

There are many reasons 5.5.1 is still in draft status after 20 years and has not been accepted as the replacement for 5.5

embedded.ged

fluffy82
2 minutes ago, TBirdUK said:

"almost NO genealogy program accepts binary media in the gedcom,"
I wonder what you call TNG which is what this forum is supposed to be about?

There are many reasons 5.5.1 is still in draft status after 20 years and has not been accepted as the replacement for 5.5

embedded.ged

I said ALMOST no genealogy program. If TNG accepts it, that's great, nobody knew. But it's useless for importing, as you need a gedcom that contains media and that's ALMOST impossible to get as ALMOST no other program exports it that way. Same for exporting: great if TNG can do that, nobody knew. But it's useless as ALMOST no other application will be able to read the gedcom.

TBirdUK

"If TNG accepts it, that's great, nobody knew."

You did not know, I knew and I'm falrly confident Darrin does, but we are obviously irrelevant

fluffy82
1 minute ago, TBirdUK said:

"If TNG accepts it, that's great, nobody knew."

You did not know, I knew and I'm falrly confident Darrin does, but we are obviously irrelevant

If two people know, and thousands don't, yes, that's completely irrelevant.

Kare

Make sure you get the «last word» and don't admit that you didn't know everything about GEDCOMs.......

Grow up - and please stop this fruitless discussion.

fluffy82
23 minutes ago, Kare said:

Make sure you get the «last word» and don't admit that you didn't know everything about Gedcom....

I always get the last word, I did admit I didn't know that TNG - as one of the only applications around - supports binary inclusion of media files, and I do still maintain that it's a useless function as almost no other app supports it, even the last gedcom standard doesn't use it, and almost nobody knows about it (which is logical, as it is not used anywhere).

Ask 100 genealogists if a gedcom contains media files, and 99 will say it doesn't. And it doesn't. It can, apparently, contain binary code which could be "reconstructed" into a media file, but not the actual file itself.