TNG Community

Birth / death events?

fluffy82

Hi all,

while trying to figure out solutions for some issues I have, I'm cleaning out my database to get it as orderly and "clean" as possible.

Looking at the events list in the TNG admin section, I noticed something odd... There seem to be only 38 birth (BIRT) and 31 death (DEAT) events in my tree.

This can mean two things: either the count is totally off and I can ignore this, or there are actually 38 births and 31 deaths floating around somewhere, and these two events are not the actual birth and death dates of the database (as stored in the tng_people table, they are all there).

When going to the search menu, though, these do not show with the additional events. Als when creating a report, I can choose all other events, but not these births and deaths (I can choose birth and death, but those are the dates in the people table, not the weird events).

Any idea how to find out what these 69 events are, who they belong to and how to get rid of them?

If you are talking about the event tags in admin "Custom Event Types" then what you are probably seeing for these two fields are additional info attached to the actual birth and death events like DEAT is the tag for Cause of Death and BIRT might be a note added to Birth records like the hospital or something... 

3 hours ago, stores said:

If you are talking about the event tags in admin "Custom Event Types" then what you are probably seeing for these two fields are additional info attached to the actual birth and death events like DEAT is the tag for Cause of Death and BIRT might be a note added to Birth records like the hospital or something... 

That would sound logical, but there would be many more of them. I always put the witnesses as additional info (in the description, transformed into a note upon import because TNG doesn't want to accept descriptions with a birth 🙄).

But it's probably something like that indeed. I'll just ignore it.

I think you get DEAT and BIRT records into the Custom Events table if a person has more than 1 BIRT or DEAT record. The first instances of these go into the tng_people table, subsequent instances if a person has more than one go into the tng_events table.

So perhaps you have 38 people who have 2 BIRT events and 31 people who have 2 DEAT events

Roger

I have loads of DEAT Custom Event Types and those are where i have added a Cause of Death. I had no DEAT records until i started adding a cause of death last year and i eventually figured out they were not showing up in TNG so i had to turn Accept those events on import before they would show in TNG. I have no BIRT Custom Event Types as i add nothing to Birth except date and place.

11 hours ago, theKiwi said:

I think you get DEAT and BIRT records into the Custom Events table if a person has more than 1 BIRT or DEAT record. The first instances of these go into the tng_people table, subsequent instances if a person has more than one go into the tng_events table.

So perhaps you have 38 people who have 2 BIRT events and 31 people who have 2 DEAT events

Roger

Ah that's possible. I do have some people with two possible deaths which I added both until I find out which one is correct.

But I also have 40 marriage events (MARR), and way more people who married 2 or 3 times...

8 hours ago, stores said:

I have loads of DEAT Custom Event Types and those are where i have added a Cause of Death. I had no DEAT records until i started adding a cause of death last year and i eventually figured out they were not showing up in TNG so i had to turn Accept those events on import before they would show in TNG. I have no BIRT Custom Event Types as i add nothing to Birth except date and place.

Cause if death is a different tag. I'm not in front of my computer now but I think it's something like _CAUS

The 40 MARR events would be for couples with two marriage dates, not for people who married more than once.  Something like married, divorced, re-married, re-divorced would have one marriage and one divorce in the families table but the second time those events happened they need somewhere else to be in order to be displayed, so they end up in the events table.  Although cause of death is another tag, it does not have a field on the people table and it instead resides in the events table.

1 hour ago, bhemph said:

The 40 MARR events would be for couples with two marriage dates, not for people who married more than once.  Something like married, divorced, re-married, re-divorced would have one marriage and one divorce in the families table but the second time those events happened they need somewhere else to be in order to be displayed, so they end up in the events table.  Although cause of death is another tag, it does not have a field on the people table and it instead resides in the events table.

That makes sense! I have people who have two entries in the marriage books, once at the bride's parish and once at the groom's parish. I entered them both. That slipped my mind, thanks!

One last question... Is it possible to alter the options for the "built-in" facts/events, just likie we can do for the custom events? I prefer the image of a birth record, for example, to appear with the birth rather than all the way down. On the other hand, it quickly clutters up the table. For censuses, for example, I have set the event to collapse. So we see "Census" with the date and place, and only when we click on the little arrow, we get the image that goes with it. It would be great to do the same with births, deaths, baptisms, burials,...

I agree that CAUS is the correct Tag for Cause of Death and that is what i see as the Tag in the gedcom but things aren't always as they should be, especially with TNG, sometimes you have to think out of the box. 

Basically, some time over the past couple years i read a forum post where someone was having trouble getting the Cause of Death event to display in TNG. I looked at my tree and while i had the Cause of Death showing in PAF just fine, it was in fact not showing in TNG, despite all my Custom Events having Accept on Import set to Yes. I had not noticed in the past but i spent some time trying to figure out just how to get the Cause of Death to show in TNG

I basically printed out my TNG Custom Event Types list and narrowed it down to the current DEAT having to be the Cause of Death. I don't remember what it had for a TAG back then but i do remember playing around with it and eventually entering DEAT as in my mind the Cause of Death is related to death and bingo, after importing another gedcom it then showed in TNG. I also remember i could not choose CAUS from the drop down list nor would it accept that as a manual entry when editing the event and that perplexed me as i knew it had to be the Cause of Death. I edited the Tag and added the Cause of Death to the Display so i would know just what that tag actually was.

Anyway, i finally got it to work and i hope you figure out your tags.

customeventslist.jpg

deat.jpg

8 hours ago, bhemph said:

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Collapsible_Standard_Events is the mod that makes it so you can collapse the standard events.

Great! Didn't know that existed, thanks.