TNG Community
jimatpdx

mytngstyle.css modification

jimatpdx

I am trying to run TNG hooked to Wordpress with the plugin. I understand that I can't use TNG templates and that I need to modify the mytngstyle.css file. With no modification the TNG page just looks like what is shown below. The WIKI says 

"The mytngstyle.css overrides the TNG following TNG style sheets:

• genstyle.css the default TNG style sheet when you do not select a template
  • templatestyle.css the template override style sheet
  • tngtabs1.css
  • tngtabs2.css"

My problem is that I have no experience with css files and don't know where to start modifying the mytngstyle.css file.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim Stevens

© 2019 

fluffy82

I don't think I'm qualified enough to teach you how to use css code (I only learned it myself through trial and error, and a lot of help from google...), but note that I don't even use the mytngstyle.css. It is too much trouble to go through my ftp, download the file, modify something, upload it again, see if it works, if not: start over,...

In WordPress, when visiting your site as administrator, there's a button "Customizer" at the top. Clicking that, gives a left sidebar with a menu list. In there is an option "extra CSS". Whatever you put in there, will also affect your TNG pages. So there is no more need to download and upload mytngstyle.css anymore.

theKiwi
4 hours ago, jimatpdx said:

I am trying to run TNG hooked to Wordpress with the plugin. I understand that I can't use TNG templates and that I need to modify the mytngstyle.css file. With no modification the TNG page just looks like what is shown below. The WIKI says 

"The mytngstyle.css overrides the TNG following TNG style sheets:

• genstyle.css the default TNG style sheet when you do not select a template
  • templatestyle.css the template override style sheet
  • tngtabs1.css
  • tngtabs2.css"

My problem is that I have no experience with css files and don't know where to start modifying the mytngstyle.css file.

The general idea is that you find the CSS code that controls what you want to change in the TNG files. Then copy that block of code from the TNG file you find it in - genstyle.css or the tngtabs.css files.

Paste that block into the mytngstyle.css file and then change the attributes you want to change.

Principally I'd imagine that you want to change the colours of the different elements in TNG so that they match the colours of your WordPress theme.

Here's my mytngstyle.css file so you can see some of the changes made to TNG to get its colours lined up with the colours I chose for the WordPress theme.

http://lisaandroger.com/tng/css/mytngstyle.css

As to how to edit it - depends on how your FTP software and text editor work - I use CyberDuck on Mac OS X to get to the file by FTP, and when I open it from CyberDuck it opens in BBEdit (I used to use TextWrangler) and then I can edit it on my Mac, and as soon as I save the file, BBEdit/TextWrangler uploads it back to the site just with the save operation - I don't have to download, edit and then upload each time I make a change.

Roger