TNG Community
LJLachance

Heat Maps - Remove Buttons and Disable

LJLachance

While I like the idea of Heat Maps - they will not work in my case because of the way I have my information entered in my database (non-standard). There are too many records to try to fix so...  I need to disable heat maps and/or delete the button links.  Please let me know where to do this.  Thanks

DelG

You must comment-out  (using a text editor ex. Notepad) the appropriate code in the specific .php pages where the heat map button shows. I did this on my own site a couple weeks ago: ourfamilysaga.com.

Here  is an example of places-all.php:

line 78:

<br /><?php echo "<a href=\"$places_url" . "$treestr2\">{$text['mainplacepage']}</a>"; ?>

<!-- &nbsp;|&nbsp; <a href=\"$heatmap_url{$treestr2}\">{$text['heatmap']}</a>";?>-->

LJLachance

Thank DeI, but it sure seems like there should be a switch to simply "turn it off".  I'll have to give your way a go as long as I can find all the pages that it appears.  I appreciate your reply.

Thanks,

Larry

LJLachance

Del,

I'm starting to go through the various pages where heat map occurs and following your example.  

23 hours ago, DelG said:

line 78:

<br /><?php echo "<a href=\"$places_url" . "$treestr2\">{$text['mainplacepage']}</a>"; ?>

<!-- &nbsp;|&nbsp; <a href=\"$heatmap_url{$treestr2}\">{$text['heatmap']}</a>";?>-->

my question is - are you adding the second line OR replacing the first line WITH the second line.  Using the term "comment out" I'm assuming that you are simply adding the second line??? 

Also, I wonder if you may have made a list of all of the pages where "heat map" shows up?  I know, lot to ask but if there were a list, it would make it much more simple for anyone else who many not want the "heat map" feature.

Thanks much - 

DelG

I would always suggest you look at the page and line in order to fully understand the example given which should be obvious. In php, the comment-out is contained within the <!-...-> meaning anything enclosed by those symbols will be ignored [such as any code or even the coder's general comments]. So, all I've done is comment-out the existing line of code that relates to the showing of a 'heat-map' button and nothing more. I recall there were only 3 ? php pages that have a heat-map button but I don't recall which ones, at the moment - it is simple enough to go to each page in your site menu to locate them.

theKiwi
42 minutes ago, DelG said:

I would always suggest you look at the page and line in order to fully understand the example given which should be obvious. In php, the comment-out is contained within the <!-...-> meaning anything enclosed by those symbols will be ignored [such as any code or even the coder's general comments]. So, all I've done is comment-out the existing line of code that relates to the showing of a 'heat-map' button and nothing more. I recall there were only 3 ? php pages that have a heat-map button but I don't recall which ones, at the moment - it is simple enough to go to each page in your site menu to locate them.

Except that the example you've given is for HTML comments.

PHP comments can be either to precede a line with 

//

//

or to surround the code you want to comment out with

/* some lines
of
code
here */

Roger

LJLachance

Thanks to all for the direction and the comments - I'll make it work 😁