TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
Rob van Rij

Subroot functionality for media

Rob van Rij

I'm using the subroot functionality to put my configuration files outside the user accessible area. (above the www path). I also want to do the same for my media and other content folders. This would also allow me to use these files for my production website and development website. How can I implement this?

Ken Roy

Rob,

The media files need to be accessible by the browser, so I do not think it is possible to move media files outside of the browser accessibility. 

You can move your backup and gedcom folder as I have documented in Move your backup files and Move your gedcom files

tngrlkrz

As Ken states, the media files must be within or below the accessible (www) space on the host. However, you can put media in a  folder in that space and  be shared by multiple TNG versions.  This is done through use of symbolic links or symlinks.  Both Windows  and your Host servers  offer symbolic links.

Furthermore, if your gedcom files are shared by your production and development sites, you can create symlinks to share the gedcom folder outside the 'www' internet space, hence remaining protected.