TNG Community

TNG-Worpress Login Widget version 2.0.1 (V2.0.2 now released)

mahesh

At the time of release of version 1.0.3, 

• there waqs release MYSQL 5.7. In it's strict mode,  it  prevented saving 0 as date. This meant new registrations did not created SQL errors.
  • it was only tested on TNG versions 9 and 10.1.3 asI had not upgraded to V12
  • it's operation in WP-TNg integration (by Mark Barnes) was a bit flacky.

I have bumped up new release to version 2.0.1 because I have now upgraded to TNG version 12.1 and this version and this now TNG-Worpress login works with most TNG versions.

What does Version 2.0.1 do?

• Adds a Registration Form which may replace the Wordpress registration form by deselecting 'Membership>Anyone can register' in Wordpress Dashboard>Settings.
  • Adds a User Profile page which saves the changes in Wordpress and TNG database
  • Adds an enhanced Password-Reset module which checks for the presence of email of registered user.
  • Almost all the text used in pages and emails is customisable by the administrator.
  • User may login using either registered user Name or email. On successful login, if User Name exists in TNG database, the user is also logged in to TNG.
  • GDPR Privacy policy is implemented

Compatibility

• Tested on TNG versions, 9, 10.1.3 and 12.1
  • Not tested on TNG V11 but database changes are incorporated (Thank you @Darrin for providing me the details of the changes)
  • Tested on PHP version 5.4  - 7.3.1
  • Tested, successfully, with Kloosterman and Mark Barnes methods of Integration
  • Detects TNG versions in use to allow for database changes 
  • Customisable  privacy settings
    • track TNG 12 cookie and consent flags
    • set consent flag for TNG V9-11
    • saves consent flag in Wprdpress database
    • set to ask returning user for consent

Outstanding Issue

• If using Mark Barnes plugin,  Login within TNG is not functional. User can only login / logout using the Widget. Cause of this is buried deep inside the tne plugin and I have not been able to resolve this.

I have the widget working on my live site using Kloosterman method and on my Test site using Mark Barnes plugin.
Sadly, both sites are still using TNG V10.13. I have not got round to upgrading the two sites. 🙁

Upgrade to tng V12.2, on both sites,  was forced on me because PHP 5.4 became depracated.

If you are using Mark Barnes Plugin, remember to 'uncheck Integrate TNG/Wordpress logins: ' in the plugin setup

You may download V2.01 V2.0.2 form here

If appropriate please message me if you intend to test/use this plugin.

• 1 month later...
John Paulding

Working for me on TNG 11 - kloosterman integration - WP 5.3.2 and php 7.1

I say it's working for me but I haven't fully tested it. Unified login/logout works. I haven't tried the registration form and am not using the login widget. I'm using a popup login form that gets triggered by a menu item. It's likely that only family will have access as the only thing hidden is Living people.

More info here

Thanks you for the plugin!

2 hours ago, John Paulding said:

Working for me on TNG 11 - kloosterman integration - WP 5.3.2 and php 7.1

I say it's working for me but I haven't fully tested it. Unified login/logout works. I haven't tried the registration form and am not using the login widget. I'm using a popup login form that gets triggered by a menu item. It's likely that only family will have access as the only thing hidden is Living people.

More info here

Thanks you for the plugin!

Thanks for posting here, John. Appreciate it. I am glad it's working for you.

I am intrigued in how you are using the plugin.

The plugin I was using until now starts to be weird... It gives a bunch of errors because of "deprecated constructors" and other things, and it won't always keep me logged in. So I thought I'd try this one, but I can't use it. It can be installed in WordPress, but when I want to activate it, it says:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare StartSession() (previously declared in /var/www/vhosts/huygens-vandemoortel-ancestry.be/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/tngwp_frontend_user_functions/assets/tngwp_user_functions.php:8) in /var/www/vhosts/huygens-vandemoortel-ancestry.be/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/tng-wp-login-2.0.1/login-to-tng.php on line 15

The line it is referring to, is

$tngPath = getSubroot(). 'config.php';

The "previously declared" is because of the old plugin still being activated. Desactivating that, makes it worse. The fatal error becomes:

Notice: Undefined variable: autor_id in /var/www/vhosts/huygens-vandemoortel-ancestry.be/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/tng-wp-login-2.0.1/insert_wp_pages.php on line 24

Notice: Undefined variable: author_id in /var/www/vhosts/huygens-vandemoortel-ancestry.be/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/tng-wp-login-2.0.1/insert_wp_pages.php on line 6

Notice: Undefined variable: autor_id in /var/www/vhosts/huygens-vandemoortel-ancestry.be/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/tng-wp-login-2.0.1/insert_wp_pages.php on line 31

Notice: Undefined variable: author_id in /var/www/vhosts/huygens-vandemoortel-ancestry.be/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/tng-wp-login-2.0.1/insert_wp_pages.php on line 6

Notice: Undefined variable: autor_id in /var/www/vhosts/huygens-vandemoortel-ancestry.be/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/tng-wp-login-2.0.1/insert_wp_pages.php on line 38

Notice: Undefined variable: autor_id in /var/www/vhosts/huygens-vandemoortel-ancestry.be/httpdocs/wp-content/plugins/tng-wp-login-2.0.1/insert_wp_pages.php on line 45

Any ideas on how to dolve this? I know the very basics of php, css and html, but this is a bit over my head :)

Found the error. On those lines, the .php says "autor_id" in stead of author_id. Strange that this hasn't been a problem for anyone else.

Changing all the "autor_id" in "author_id" makes the activation work successfully. Now trying to use the login. Wish me good luck :)

23 minutes ago, fluffy82 said:

Found the error. On those lines, the .php says "autor_id" in stead of author_id. Strange that this hasn't been a problem for anyone else.

If that is an error, as it is replicated quite consistently...

Glad you found it.

and the Typos.

I started testing in PHP 5.4 so pages were created and 5,4 did give those notices.

The PHP errors are only notices and they will not stop the plugin working. Fortunately the pages created by the plugin does not use author_id. 

Lines 24, 31, 38 and 45 should say

insert_page($slug, $post_content, $author_id, $title);

Thanks for flagging that up

Undefined variable  error was introduced in php version 7+ and has been driving me up the wall because version 1.0.3 was tested on PHP 5.4 and just like you, I am still trying to get the hang of PHP 😀

It seems to work, very happy.

When I have time, I will have to look at two things though. One important, one less important.

1) important: the new user registration is, for some reason, pushing down my sidebar. The max-width is set to full width, but even when I make it half that size, the sidebar is still pushed down (see attachment). It also breaks the page. Scrolling down, the page stops halfway the sidebar, the footter is not loaded (or not visible in any case).

2) less important: the information that is displaying is the same, but I actually preferred the lay-out of the previous app (see other attachment; from another site as I have uninstalled mine); I will try to play with that. If you could tell me which of the .php files is creating the actual widget (with the user name and password fields, the link to register or lost password etc), that would make my life much easier :)

Thanks for this addition to our WordPress integrations!

login.PNG

new_login.PNG

registration.PNG

12 hours ago, fluffy82 said:

2) less important: the information that is displaying is the same, but I actually preferred the lay-out of the previous app (see other attachment; from another site as I have uninstalled mine); I will try to play with that. If you could tell me which of the .php files is creating the actual widget (with the user name and password fields, the link to register or lost password etc), that would make my life much easier :)

Thanks for this addition to our WordPress integrations!

Really pleased it's working for you.

There is a little bit history to this.
I have been using @HeatherFeuer's widget for more than 6 years. When WPTNG Frontend User Functions  3.0 (for TNG V10) came along, it needed Wordpress to be in root directory to allow @klooster method for integrating WP & TNG. I was too stubburn to change my configuration so I stayed with TNG Frontend User Functions  2.0  and decided to write my own.

Idea was to replicate what I had and that included having the widget in the header area.
Hence the current layout.

I have a cut down version (no TNG) working on a site I am developing. Have a look to see if that would suite you.

Code for layout is in 'login-to-wp.tng.php'.

12 hours ago, fluffy82 said:

1) important: the new user registration is, for some reason, pushing down my sidebar. The max-width is set to full width, but even when I make it half that size, the sidebar is still pushed down (see attachment). It also breaks the page. Scrolling down, the page stops halfway the sidebar, the footter is not loaded (or not visible in any case).

I am not seeing the issue on my site. I do not use sidebars and my TNG site is set for 100% width.

I, just, tested the plugin on my local server with sidebar set on the right and it works for me. Perhaps I could have a look at your site when you have the plugin active.

Set to iPad view

iPad.png

Full Screen view

full screen.png

Have a look at John Paulding's solution and see if that helps.

Edited by mahesh
typos!!

I really like the popup @John Paulding is using, I just tried it myself and I like the looks, the simplicity, and the picture on the side is a nice gadget. But, of course, it only logs into WordPress, and not TNG. When you click a link going to TNG, you're automatically logged out, and when you try to log in again on that page, it just keeps turning for eternity. So sadly I had to abandon that idea, and return to Heather's or your plugin. I wonder if there's any way to tweak the plugin so it includes TNG, without actually altering the plugin code itself (to avoid any changes or additions getting lost when the plugin is updated).

I kept Heather's activated purely for aesthetic reasons. As soon as I figure out how to cleanly modify yours, or get the popup to work with TNG, I'll switch again. The registration form is for a later phase, when I get the logins to work again. They had no problems for years, but now since a couple of weeks, I've been having nothing but trouble... 😢

To make yours look more attracyive in my theme and environment, I think the easiest way to start is to kill the css (which, by the way, seeps through to other WordPress pages and overrides code native to the theme, probably because you use !important in some places...) and to change the search field and button classes to the ones used in my theme.

The weirdest thing I have now, is that I tried to create a new user so people like you could log in to test things. First with your registration form. That didn't work. I received a strange e-mail with empty fields being repeated a couple of times, the page with the registration form was redirected to "reset your password" and logging in didn't work, at all.
Then I tried just creating a guest profile in TNG admin. That worked, but obviously WordPress won't let me log in with that, as it is not a registered WordPress account. I deleted it.
Lastly I tried with Heather's registration form. That worked, I got an e-mail saying that I need to wait until the administrator approves the new profile. However... I didn't have to approve anything, the profile does *not* appear in the TNG admin user lists, but I *can* log in with it. I tried to create it again with the form, because it wasn't visible, and I got the warning that the username already exists. Creating a profile with the exact same login name and password in TNG admin, worked without error...

Here I am, thinking I finally tamed the TNG beast. You turn your back, and new issues arise 😂

John Paulding

To be clear, I'm using that popup login AND mahesh's login plugin. I just don't use mahesh's login widget because it looked bad on my theme and the popup login is something I've used before.

9 hours ago, John Paulding said:

To be clear, I'm using that popup login AND mahesh's login plugin. I just don't use mahesh's login widget because it looked bad on my theme and the popup login is something I've used before.

Sorry if I sound stupid, but how do you use both? You have people login twice? That goes beyond the purpose of the plugin.

The popup login logs into WordPress, not TNG. How do you tell it to log into both? Surely just installing them both but only using one is not enough? The entered username and password have to go through Mahesh's fields to push them through the script for dual login. The popup doesn't do that by itself.

John Paulding
3 hours ago, fluffy82 said:

The popup login logs into WordPress, not TNG. How do you tell it to log into both? Surely just installing them both but only using one is not enough?

I can log in via the standard wordpress login page, wp-login.php or wp-admin.php and I get logged in to both wp and TNG.

I can use the popup login and get logged in to both wp and TNG.

I can use mahesh's login widget and get logged in to both wp and TNG.

I'm not a programmer but I think mahesh's plugin ties into the standard wordpress login function and makes that trigger logging in to(or out of) TNG. Naturally the popup login uses the standard wp login function behind the scenes.

If I log in to TNG, it does not log me in to wp. If I log out of TNG, it does not log me out of wp.

My user name and password are the same in both wp and tng.

Below is from the readme file of mahesh's plugin, bolded text by me:

## **Introduction**
This widget replicates the Wordpress login/log out task and also logs into TNG, [The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding](http://www.tngsitebuilding.com/).
- Adds a Registration Form which may replace the Wordpress registration form by deselecting 'Membership>Anyone can register' in Wordpress Dashboard>Settings.
- Adds a User Profile page which saves the changes in Wordpress and TNG database
- Adds an enhanced Password-Reset module which checks for the presence of email of registered user.
- Almost all the text used in pages and emails is customisable by the administrator.
- ### **User may login using either registered user Name or email**. On successful login, if User Name exists in TNG database, the user is also logged in to TNG.
- GDPR Privacy policy is implemented

So yes, it seems to use the standard wordpress loin/logout task or function and then if the same user name exists TNG, they get logged in to that as well.

So what you are saying, is that just installing and activating Mahesh's plugin will work to get people logged in into TNG, without actually using the plugin to log in or to register? As long as a user profile is added in TNG for every user that registers on my site, with the same username and password? But how can I know the details to create a new TNG user profile? My WP users show an e-mail and username, but no passwords. Which is why I use the plugin. If done through the plugin, the registration creates both a WP and a TNG user profile at the same time, with the same details.

In other words: I need to modify the code of the pop-up plugin as such that when someone clicks the link for registering, he is not redirected to the pop-up plugin's registration form, but Mahesh's or Heather's registration form. Because if they only register through the popup plugin, they will not have access to TNG and I am not able to create a separate TNG profile for them myself. Correct?

PS1 I want a maximum of my site visible for anyone, with or without logging in. The only reason I need a login for my visitors, is because apparently I am now legally obliged to have one to show profiles or pictures containing living people.

PS2 I'm starting to think there's a different problem on my website regarding staying logged in... When starting on my homepage, there is a big variety whether I remain logged in or not when I go to a TNG page...

• a direct link to a person profile in text: sometimes logged in, sometimes logged out - no way to predict which it will be
  • a direct link to a person profile by clicking on an image (made with a plugin): logged out
  • enter a first name/surname search into the widget on the homepage: sometimes logged in, sometimes logged out - no way to predict which it will be
  • clicking on a name in the surname cloud, going to a list of that surname: logged out
  • clicking on a name in that list: logged out
  • logging in from a TNG page: login works, but I'm redirected to the WP dashboard in stead of remaining on the page
  • going to the search page through the menu: logged in
  • going to a list of media through the menu or through a direct link in the text: logged in

51 minutes ago, John Paulding said:

I can log in via the standard wordpress login page, wp-login.php or wp-admin.php and I get logged in to both wp and TNG.

I can use the popup login and get logged in to both wp and TNG.

I can use mahesh's login widget and get logged in to both wp and TNG.

I'm not a programmer but I think mahesh's plugin ties into the standard wordpress login function and makes that trigger logging in to(or out of) TNG. Naturally the popup login uses the standard wp login function behind the scenes.

If I log in to TNG, it does not log me in to wp. If I log out of TNG, it does not log me out of wp.

My user name and password are the same in both wp and tng.

Below is from the readme file of mahesh's plugin, bolded text by me:

So yes, it seems to use the standard wordpress loin/logout task or function and then if the same user name exists TNG, they get logged in to that as well.

Kudos to you, John. Perfect explanation.
Actually, I had not thought about this possibility but now, that makes sense.

The plugin uses standard Wordpress functions to login.
Logging in to TNG is the hairy bit.
TNG session has to be established as soon as WP initiliazation occurs and before WP tries to access the browser. Only one session can be initiated. If another one attempts,a fatal error: Cannot redeclare StartSession(), is generated.
If another plugin attempts to write to the browser in this period, a Fatal Error, "Headers already sent", is generated and page crashes.

Frontend-user-functions plugin uses similar methods and would create serious conflicts with this plugin.
So only one of these plugins must be active at the same time.

Other thing to note is that
for Password Reset, my plugin uses customized functions, bypassing standard WP functions. This means that a password reset command from another plugin or WP-login will redirect user to my customized page. I have done this to allow you to customize screen prompts / instructions (see dashboard>WP-TNG-Login>Password Reset Messages).

Couple of things if you use another login entry box.

• Registration form will not availabe. This can be reached by permalink  wp-tng-registration
  • Profile Page will not availabe. Profile page is linked to WP Users and TNG Users. Very useful for making changes to both databases, especially passwords. This page can be reached by permalink  wp-tng-profile

I hope all that makes sense. If not please do let me know.

5 minutes ago, mahesh said:

for Password Reset, my plugin uses customized functions, bypassing standard WP functions. This means that a password reset command from another plugin or WP-login will redirect user to my customized page. I have done this to allow you to customize screen prompts / instructions (see dashboard>WP-TNG-Login>Password Reset Messages).

• Registration form will not availabe. This can be reached by permalink  wp-tng-registration 
  • Profile Page will not availabe. Profile page is linked to WP Users and TNG Users. Very useful for making changes to both databases, especially passwords. This page can be reached by permalink  wp-tng-profile

Ok, that makes sense. In short:

• no matter where you login, as long as your plugin is active and the user also exists in TNG, he will remain logged in, no matter where you log in
  • I need to redirect the registration form to yours to make sure the profile is created in WP and TNG and keeps the same password
  • so someone logging into my website with existing WP user details (so without registering) will not work; every new user, whether they have a WP account or not, has to register first to make it work

This means that my gut feeling about a different cause for the logging in/out problems is getting stronger...

16 hours ago, fluffy82 said:

I really like the popup @John Paulding is using, I just tried it myself and I like the looks, the simplicity, and the picture on the side is a nice gadget. But, of course, it only logs into WordPress, and not TNG. When you click a link going to TNG, you're automatically logged out, and when you try to log in again on that page, it just keeps turning for eternity. So sadly I had to abandon that idea, and return to Heather's or your plugin. I wonder if there's any way to tweak the plugin so it includes TNG, without actually altering the plugin code itself (to avoid any changes or additions getting lost when the plugin is updated).

I kept Heather's activated purely for aesthetic reasons. As soon as I figure out how to cleanly modify yours, or get the popup to work with TNG, I'll switch again. The registration form is for a later phase, when I get the logins to work again. They had no problems for years, but now since a couple of weeks, I've been having nothing but trouble... 😢

To make yours look more attracyive in my theme and environment, I think the easiest way to start is to kill the css (which, by the way, seeps through to other WordPress pages and overrides code native to the theme, probably because you use !important in some places...) and to change the search field and button classes to the ones used in my theme.

The weirdest thing I have now, is that I tried to create a new user so people like you could log in to test things. First with your registration form. That didn't work. I received a strange e-mail with empty fields being repeated a couple of times, the page with the registration form was redirected to "reset your password" and logging in didn't work, at all.
Then I tried just creating a guest profile in TNG admin. That worked, but obviously WordPress won't let me log in with that, as it is not a registered WordPress account. I deleted it.
Lastly I tried with Heather's registration form. That worked, I got an e-mail saying that I need to wait until the administrator approves the new profile. However... I didn't have to approve anything, the profile does *not* appear in the TNG admin user lists, but I *can* log in with it. I tried to create it again with the form, because it wasn't visible, and I got the warning that the username already exists. Creating a profile with the exact same login name and password in TNG admin, worked without error...

Here I am, thinking I finally tamed the TNG beast. You turn your back, and new issues arise 😂

2 minutes ago, fluffy82 said:
  • so someone logging into my website with existing WP user details (so without registering) will not work; every new user, whether they have a WP account or not, has to register first to make it work

This means that my gut feeling about a different cause for the logging in/out problems is getting stronger...

That is always going to be an issue. You have 2 distinct databases with diffrent column names. You can copy all the data, except Passwords, to TNG database. Passwords are alw3ays an issue because they are encrypted. I suppose that is how it's supposed to be.

If I had to do this,

• Use Wordpress to generate new password for user
  • Use TNG 'Register for a New Account' to copy the account using new password.
  • Use TNG "send Email to user facility" to inform user of you prerecament
  • Ask user to follow link to profile page to change their password / profile details.

I am sorry but I cannot think of any other way. If you ask a user to re-register you may have to remove WP user details to avoid duplicates.

Sorry, not being very helpful.

I am not sue what happened there.

I have just tried this on my site that works. Did you deactivate tngwp_frontend_user_functions ?

Lastly I tried with Heather's registration form. That worked, I got an e-mail saying that I need to wait until the administrator approves the new profile. However... I didn't have to approve anything, the profile does *not* appear in the TNG admin user lists

I am sure you did this but I will mention it any way.

Did you review the new user, you created, in TNG Admin>users?

John Paulding
14 hours ago, mahesh said:

Good to know and I do plan on using your registration form.

6 hours ago, John Paulding said:

Good to know and I do plan on using your registration form.

Mahesh: I have tested your plugin on my test site and it works like a charm with WP 5.3.2 and TNG 12.1

My setup:

Disable registration in WP.

TNG Auto approve new users: Yes

TNG login/logut disabled, since it not working with your plugin.

John Paulding
7 hours ago, mahesh said:

Registration form worked fine but I was able to log in immediately even though there was a message saying I would have to be approved. I see no new user in tng but there is one in wp.

FYI, in wp, I have "Anyone can register" turned off or unchecked in WP >> Settings >> General.

EDIT; Now that I read the plugin description, I guess it's working how it should. It does not create a user in tng?

Edited by John Paulding
add

3 hours ago, John Paulding said:

Registration form worked fine but I was able to log in immediately even though there was a message saying I would have to be approved. I see no new user in tng but there is one in wp.

FYI, in wp, I have "Anyone can register" turned off or unchecked in WP >> Settings >> General.

EDIT; Now that I read the plugin description, I guess it's working how it should. It does not create a user in tng?

Unfortunately, in WP (since version 4, I think)  a user is created and does not require approval.

My workaround for that is to give all approved users privilages of Contributor and above.
I use couple of plugins to control who can see my pages / menu items.

The plugin registers the user as subscriber. (Lower than Contributor)

A user should have been created in TNG. TNG requires that a new user is approved ( * next to Review)

tng review.jpg

4 minutes ago, cfj said:

I can't edit any template file in WP backend. Only If I deactivate the plugin..

Sorry, I misread your earlier message. I thought you were testing on local server.

WP allows you to edit plugin files. Dashboard>Plug ins > Plug In Editor But if your test site allows you to send system emails then you do not need to make any changes.

Thank you for your reply.

9 minutes ago, mahesh said:

WP allows you to edit plugin files. Dashboard>Plug ins > Plug In Editor But if your test site allows you to send system emails then you do not need to make any changes.

I know that, since I have worked with WP for many years.

On my test site I tried to make some changes in my footer file (WP theme) to test your plugin with Modal.

Edit file doesn't work, if I have your plugin activated.