TNG Community

reCaptcha never gets past its robot challenge

Scott Dickson

Scott Dickson

Recently upgraded to TNG 12.2, but this problem was in 12.1 as well.

Whenever someone, who is not logged in, clicks the Suggest link, they get the reCaptcha I am Not a Robot box.  But, when they click it and click continue, they don't get a form.  Just the robot challenge again.

I verified that the reCaptcha v2 keys were in place.  I even created new keys and installed them.  But no luck.  Same thing.

I have no mods installed.  This is an environment that was freshly installed with 12, rather than an upgrade.

Any suggestions or logs I could look at for more details? 

Thanks,
--SCott

• 3 weeks later...

When you go into the Google reCaptcha admin panel, the settings there are what must not be set quite as Google expects them to be since it keeps failing to continue like it does.  I looked at my settings to see what I have set.
reCaptcha type:  v2 Checkbox
Domains:  Just my root address, so wrenacres.com for Scott and muggeridge.info for Dave would be the same.
Owners:  My email address, which was used to log in to check the settings, so can't really be wrong.
Security Preference:  It looks like the dot is in the middle of the slider bar, which I assume is the default position.  Then both check boxes are checked.

Then I made sure that the Site Key is in the reCaptcha Site Key field and the Secret Key is in the reCaptcha Secret field in the TNG settings and that they match what Google shows in their settings.  The logs indicate that there are passes of the Captcha in the statistics.

Thanks for your reply, bhemph; but I have exactly as you describe. But it still doesn't work, and Google says: "We detected that your site isn't verifying reCAPTCHA solutions. This is required for the proper use of reCAPTCHA on your site. " Do you know what that means?

Scott Dickson
2 hours ago, Dave Short said:

Thanks for your reply, bhemph; but I have exactly as you describe. But it still doesn't work, and Google says: "We detected that your site isn't verifying reCAPTCHA solutions. This is required for the proper use of reCAPTCHA on your site. " Do you know what that means?

Me, too.  Exactly the same.

And I think this is not only keeping people from making comments, but also from changing passwords (and anything else that uses Captcha verification).  I suppose I will need to try imageCaptcha, even though it kind of drives me crazy to use.

Make sure you requested a V2 reCaptcha key and not a v3 key which TNG does not support

There are also other Captcha Mods that work with TNG which has had the hooks for suggest, contact us, and new account request since TNG v6.  I gave up on reCaptcha after Google acquired it from Carnegie Mellon because have the time I could not read the challenges.

Scott and Dave, this same question was asked on the tngusers2 maillist.  Darrin replied that your host may have allow_url_fopen disabled.  You can check that from your admin screen >> Setup >> Diagnostics >> PHP Info link.  Then hit control + F to search the screen in your browser for fopen.  If it says Off, then you will need to see if you have access to change the setting in your cPanel.  Otherwise creating a php.ini file and put

allow_url_fopen = On;

into the file to do the override.  This php.ini file will need to be in your tng root folder in order to apply to the tng files.

Brent

Scott Dickson

Interesting that changing the setting supposedly for my whole site, or in my home directory wasn't enough.  Once I set it in the TNG directory, it seems to be working.
Thanks for the fix!

--SCott

Brent,

Thanks for your reply. However, I could not get it to work, so I asked my hosting support team. Their reply was:

"Thank you for your enquiry.

allow_url_fopen is disabled across all our shared hosting platform, as it poses a security risk from badly-written or malicious scripts. This is a platform-wide setting and cannot be modified.

If you want to include files from third-party sites, then you need to change the code to use PHP's curl() functions instead.

For example:

$file = file_get_contents("http://www.example.com/page.html");

would become 

$url = 'http://www.example.com/page.html"';
$ch = curl_init();
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, $url);
curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, false); curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, true); $file = curl_exec($ch); curl_close($ch); "

Would this solve my problem, if I was able to find out where top put it?

Dave

• 2 years later...
On 12/8/2019 at 3:00 PM, Scott Dickson said:

Interesting that changing the setting supposedly for my whole site, or in my home directory wasn't enough.  Once I set it in the TNG directory, it seems to be working.
Thanks for the fix!

--SCott

I tried editing at the WHM level, and at the domain level, but the site is still showing it's Off in Diagnostics https://www.onlinegenealogist.com/admin_phpinfo.php

Now when I click on the check box I get the verification images to click on, but it's still not giving me the form when I click continue.

https://www.onlinegenealogist.com/suggest.php

Rob Severijns

Just to be clear.

You are using V2 of the Google Captcha/reCaptcha?

You are sure there is no typo in both of the recaptcha keys?

I just upgraded the version of PHP for my site from 7.4 to 8.0 and now the reCaptcha is working. I didn't have to change the code, I also see now that allow_url_fopen is showing On in the Diagnostics. Thank you for all the replies and help!