TNG Community

Show all family mod - update German-UTF8​/cust​_text​.php

pipsi

After the installation I changed the following entry in the German-UTF8/cust_text.php:

$text['Greatgrandmother'] = "Grossartige Grossmutter"; to  $text['Greatgrandmother'] = "Urgroßmutter";

Greatgrandmother is called Urgroßmutter in German

Reason: "Grossartige" has a different meaning ... similar: wonderful , excellent

btw.:    $text['Greatgrandfatherr'] = "Urgroßvater";  is right!

after (and I assume because of)  this change the Mod Manager shows "Partially installed" and:

ine 482: %target:@languages/German-UTF8/cust_text.php% verified

line 484: %location:% #1 not installed

nevertheless the mod works very fine.... thank you for that feature!

for information only!

You should make your changes in the cfg file while the mod is uninstalled.  You can reverse your change first and the partial install will be change to installed.

Thanks for your German translation help .I'm the one who supplied those translations to the author. 

Many thanks @tngrlkrz 

for the following mods I also changed the text:

Descendants Tables Mod

$text['dtggrandchildren'] = "Große Enkelkinder"; diplayed today as Große Enkelkindermeans „big grandchildren“
greatgrandchildren is called 
Urenkel in German

therefore I changed it to:

$text['dtggrandchildren'] = "Urenkel";

Parental Lines mod

$text['maternal_line'] = "Mutterlinie"; I changed it to: $text['maternal_line'] = "Mütterliche Linie";

$text['paternal_line'] = "Vaterlinie";  I changed it to: $text['paternal_line'] = "Väterliche Linie";

$text['parentallines'] = "Elterliche Zeilen"; I changed it to: $text['parentallines'] = "Elterliche Linien";

therefore I've also  "Partially installed" in the Mod Manager...

btw: I am happy to assist with translations for German (is my native language)!

37 minutes ago, pipsi said:

Many thanks @tngrlkrz 

for the following mods I also changed the text:

Descendants Tables Mod

$text['dtggrandchildren'] = "Große Enkelkinder"; diplayed today as Große Enkelkindermeans „big grandchildren“
greatgrandchildren is called 
Urenkel in German

therefore I changed it to:

$text['dtggrandchildren'] = "Urenkel";

Parental Lines mod

$text['maternal_line'] = "Mutterlinie"; I changed it to: $text['maternal_line'] = "Mütterliche Linie";

$text['paternal_line'] = "Vaterlinie";  I changed it to: $text['paternal_line'] = "Väterliche Linie";

$text['parentallines'] = "Elterliche Zeilen"; I changed it to: $text['parentallines'] = "Elterliche Linien";

therefore I've also  "Partially installed" in the Mod Manager...

btw: I am happy to assist with translations for German (is my native language)!

Thanks.  I may not have helped with those mods.  In all these cases, you should let the authors of those mods know of the translation changes, though they might be slow (or unable) to respond, if at at all.  I know some german, but generally used google translate, switching back and forth english to german, german to english, to see if it translated acceptably.

Just me, but I am never comfortable leaving 'partially installed' in Mod Mgr; rather I make and note changes to the actual cfg files for the mods.  

It the mod is using the TNG v12 cust_text.php anchor and putting the custom text before

//Mods should put their changes before this line, local changes should come after it.

then you can add your own overrides after the following comments

//Mods should put their changes before this line, local changes should come after it.
//Put your own custom messages here, like this:
//$text['messagename'] = "This is the message";

and the mod will still Installed and you will have your preferred text.  I will put the Parental Lines mod on my list of mods that need to be updated, since I now support the mod for Jeff Robison.

Temporarily putting $text changes below the anchor statements  in cust_text.php as Ken suggests is a better way which I overlooked, rather than modifying the cfg file language statements. Then, if or when the author makes the changes submitted, you can remove those lines.

Optionally, you could even put all such changes to cust_text.php into a small private mod, if you have several mods needing language changes.   Much easier to manage that way.

vor 21 Stunden schrieb Ken Roy:

It the mod is using the TNG v12 cust_text.php anchor and putting the custom text before

then you can add your own overrides after the following comments

and the mod will still Installed and you will have your preferred text.  I will put the Parental Lines mod on my list of mods that need to be updated, since I now support the mod for Jeff Robison.

Ken, 

I cleaned up these mods again in the Mod Manager:

//   Parental Lines mod

// added for Descendants Tables Mod

/* START Texts for xerxxFamilyMaternalLine.php, xerxxFamilyPaternalLine.php, xerxxIndividMaternalLine.php, xerxxIndividPaternalLine.php */
/* MOD: MaternalAndPaternalLines mod v11.0.0.2 */

// ********** START: Showall Family Table language files

and then I inserted my changed translations - as described by you - under

//$text['messagename'] = "This is the message";.

after FTP transfer and Ctrl/F5 I had "Partially installed" again in the Mod Manager.

add info - the German texts for these 3 mods

//   Parental Lines mod

// added for Descendants Tables Mod

/* START Texts for xerxxFamilyMaternalLine.php, xerxxFamilyPaternalLine.php, xerxxIndividMaternalLine.php, xerxxIndividPaternalLine.php */
/* MOD: MaternalAndPaternalLines mod v11.0.0.2 */

are always wrapped under 

not before!

I then cut/paste the original texts above, that didn't help either.

Now I'm back to the original status, have the german translations "correct" in the display, all mods work fine,  but of course in the Mod Manager again "Partially installed"

Ingrid

Ingrid,

We might be losing something in translation.  If you install the mods as distributed and do not like the $text used, you can override the $text variables by copying the $text variables you want to change and then paste the copied variables before the ?> (php file termination) and after the indicated comment lines, and edit them to what you want to use, while leaving the Mod Manager .cfg files alone.

You may have to use your own comments and not those provided in the mod.  For example, instead of

//   Parental Lines mod

You might need to use

//   My Parental Lines mod overrides

This approach applies not only to translations but can be used to override any provided values by the mod, without impacting the mod, or as Ron indicated you can create a personal mod to install your custom $text overrides before the ending PHP file terminator ( ?> ).

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Dew said:

I installed the mod but I can't find a link to it from any page.  I'm new to TNG but other mods I've installed appear to work fine.  Where do I look to get this to display?

If you are referring to the Show All Family mod, there is no 'link' to show it's impact on TNG.  The mod expands the display of the Person or 'Individual tab' to include siblings, stepparents, and spouses in various sections of that page. That's where you see the changes, assuming you have a good install status of 'installed' in Mod Manager.

1 hour ago, tngrlkrz said:

f you are referring to the Show All Family mod, there is no 'link' to show it's impact on TNG

The Show All Family mod does add a couple of new rows to the Individual (or getperson.php) page:

• Ancestors which shows the earliest ancestors for the Individual being displayed
  • Patriarch & Matriarch which shows the end of paternal (father to father, etc. or Y-DNA direct line) and maternal (mother to mother. etc. or mtDNA direct line) lines

If the parents or spouse were married more than once, the information will be shown on those lines.

3 hours ago, Dew said:

Am I looking in the wrong place?

I think so.  The mod adds information on the Individual page, not in the Mod Manager.

See the screen captures in the Show All Family mod wiki article for the Earliest Ancestors and the Patriarch and Matriarch rows

Yes, Dew,  your second snapshot shows the individual tab, which is the right place.  All changes are on that page.    And yes, I see from Mod Mgr it installed OK.  But, as Ken notes, please read the wiki article for the mod which illustrates or notes these additions to the Individual personal information tab .

1. Earliest ancestor
  2. Matriarchs and patriarchs
  3. Parents other partners (Stepparents)
  4. Other spouses of spouse
  5. Children's spouses
  6. Alternative surname spellings 

I would suggest you do a compare of the individual person page before the install and after the install.