TNG Community
MFK

Warnings at TNG starting ('Illegal string ....' etc)

MFK

I INSTALLED MAC CATALINA AND GOT A NEW MODEM (is this relevant).

TNG (V 11)  RUNS UNDER WORDPRESS IN MAP GENEALOGY (WP is ok).

AL OF A SUDDEN A LOT OF WARNINGS AT STARTUP OF TNG:

Warning: Illegal string offset 'subroot' in /home/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxxx.nl/public_html/genealogy/subroot.php on line 3

AND MUCH MORE LINES (FILE ATTACHED).

What is going on? How to fix.?

MFK

WarningTNG_4oktober2019.rtf

Newfloridian

You haven't given us much information to go on. For instance, is yours an upgrade of TNG from an earlier version? What version of PHP does your system have running? The community has many threads dealing with errors, warnings and deprecations wrought by upgrades of PHP on TNG.

I can offer one possible pointer. I came across a similar issue when I upgraded my own site which used (and still uses) TNG 10.1.3 to be able to use PHP 7.2 on the ISP server and PHP 7.3 on Wampserver.

You should look at the contents of your subroot.php file. In earlier versions of TNG it looked like this:

<?php
@ini_set('error_reporting','2039');
$tngconfig['subroot'] = "";
$subroot = $tngconfig['subroot'] ? $tngconfig['subroot'] : "";
?>

In the upgrade to TNG 11, there was a new version of subroot.php but it was placed in the specials folder. This new version looks like this:

<?php
error_reporting(E_ERROR);
$tngconfig = array();
$tngconfig['subroot'] = "";
$subroot = $tngconfig['subroot'] ? $tngconfig['subroot'] : "";
?>

Substituting this newer version for the older one in my system cured a whole raft of PHP problems. Whether it would do the same for you I have no idea.

Alan

Ken Roy

Sounds more like your installing Mac Catalina brought in a higher version of PHP than what TNG v11 supports.  (Note that I am not a Mac user)

As Alan, indicated you provided limited information.  If you can get to TNG Admin, select Setup and then select the Diagnostic tab.  It will tell you what the PHP version is.  

If Mac Catalina allows you to select the PHP version, you need to select PHP 5.6.n in order to run TNG v11

MFK

I am not sure wether Catalina is to blame (post hoc ergo propter hoc? a well known mistake). I use a provider for running my website (WordPress) en TNG inside WP. 

Lucky enough my provider allows a choice in php-version.  They updated to php v 7.2.23 but I reversed to php v 5.6. 

Well: now WordPress warns for an upgrade in php (they prefer php v 7.2.n) but for the time being WP is backward compatible.  I think a TNG-upgrade to v 12 is inevitable in short time.

Anyhow: things are up and running. 

Thanks Ken and Alan.

Ken Roy

Ok it sounds like your Mac Catalina is not related to the issue unless you are also running a home computer web site.  If you are running on a hosting service, their update to PHP 7.2.23 is what is causing your problem.

Upgrading to TNG 7.2 is required to support PHP 7.3 unless you do like Alan and buy the TNG upgrade and change the TNG code yourself to work with the new versions of PHP