TNG Community
fluffy82

Display Jobs Fact

fluffy82

Another question for @mkoche :)

I am looking into the Display Jobs Facts as I want to try and use the extended statistics too. I like the way how occupations would be grouped into "job types".

You say that the mod is using the existing occupation event, and that when one would uninstall the mod, all information would be saved into the occupation as "job type - job ...description".
But does that work in the other direction as well? Meaning: if I put for example "Clergy - vicar ...at the parish church of Claypole" as an occupation in my desktop app, and import it into TNG through gedcom, will it recognise Clergy as job type etc?

I could test it, but my tree is huge and preparing and uploading a gedcom takes several hours (!) so I want to avoid doing that just for a test only to redo it in case it doesn't work...

Thanks for any hints!

Guernman20

I am trying to use this mod and I have successfully loaded it to my database, via Mod Manager.

I can see the the new 'Add Job' button on the individual edit screen.

Unfortunately when this new button is pressed the pop-up screen doesn't appear. (The add 'new event' button still works ok)

Any help woulld be appreciated

Peter

Version 12.1 & template 15

mkoche
On 11/4/2019 at 6:11 AM, fluffy82 said:

Another question for @mkoche :)

I am looking into the Display Jobs Facts as I want to try and use the extended statistics too. I like the way how occupations would be grouped into "job types".

You say that the mod is using the existing occupation event, and that when one would uninstall the mod, all information would be saved into the occupation as "job type - job ...description".
But does that work in the other direction as well? Meaning: if I put for example "Clergy - vicar ...at the parish church of Claypole" as an occupation in my desktop app, and import it into TNG through gedcom, will it recognise Clergy as job type etc? 

I could test it, but my tree is huge and preparing and uploading a gedcom takes several hours (!) so I want to avoid doing that just for a test only to redo it in case it doesn't work...

Thanks for any hints!

In principle, it should work just fine. As long as you follow the same framework.  The mod just uses the notes field and searches for that information at the start of the note.  As long as you use exactly the same form... I don't see any issue.  Of course, if you vary it slightly, it won't work.

fluffy82

Aaaaaah gotcha. I tried it and failed, but that's because in FTM the job would go in the description field. I'll try putting it in the notes. Thanks!

Raewyn

I installed this mod into Version 12.2 - only other mod I have installed is OpenStreetMaps. The mod appears to have Installed fine, or so I thought. I visited a people page and it displayed an error including person's ID and little else. I neglected to get the error details but it was saying something about person's id (that I was  supposed to be looking at) and the tree and something in line 1, so not sure what the issue was, but uninstalled it and everything else is back to normal.

fluffy82
On 12/19/2019 at 8:35 PM, mkoche said:

In principle, it should work just fine. As long as you follow the same framework.  The mod just uses the notes field and searches for that information at the start of the note.  As long as you use exactly the same form... I don't see any issue.  Of course, if you vary it slightly, it won't work.

With the corona thing going on, I had some more time to do some tests, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work...

In two or three occupation facts I added a note following the exact "rules" to be used (job category - job ...text)

- in the person profile, the note is visible as it was entered (example used here: Crafts - diamond cutter ...employed in his brother's company)
- in the statistics page only diamond cutter is visible, in the list with "no category"
- the Crafts category (as well as the others I entered as a test) is not visible in the statistics, only "no category" is there

Though the note is displayed on the person profile, I don't have access to it from within the "edit person" page. There only the description is visible. The "job category" field when editing the occupation is empty. Weirdly enough, the choice list of the job category does give one option, which corresponds with an occupation where:

- there is no date nor place used
- the text is in the description, not the note
- a " - " is used in the text, the job description only takes the part before the " - " (as it should do, but it only does it here, not with the others I've enterred)

Which means for some reason it does not recognise the Crafts as a job description. I did try it in the description field before, now it is in the occupation note field, none work.

Also: when editing a occupation fact and adding a job description, it does not change the statistics... I can still only see the jobs without description...

I'll do some more testing later today. To be continued...

fluffy82

Here's an update already :)

With the one description which gave a job description, I noticed a typo (double space). I replicated that typo to an actual occupation and... It (partially) works!

So using "Job category [space] - [double space] job description" it correctly recognises it!
Only the description is displayed on the person profile, and when editing I see that the category is recognised as such.

But it still doesn't show in the statistics...

fluffy82

And the last update for today...

I mass edited an occupation that occurs 50 times in my tree. That one does show in the statistics, so the above did not show because there was only one person having it.

In short, for people who encounter the same problem: it works, but you need to add two spaces after the "-", not one, and you need to put the string in the description rather than the note (as mkoche seemed to say).

mkoche

So I must apologize for the imprecise statement of "notes."  Yes, you are right, the format must be placed in the "detail" area of the job event. 

I am not sure about the space issue.  I need to follow it and recreate the problem.  Honestly, on my own site I just did jobs from scratch but was trying to think about how others could use their existing jobs to do it.  Thinking about it now - I could make the separator a matter of choice (in the mod options), perhaps that would avoid some of the types of troubles you are having.