TNG Community
fluffy82

SOLVED - Place of custom events

fluffy82

Hi all,

as you know (or maybe not), I have created a custom event for all titles. There are several reasons for this:

• TNG displays Titles in front of the name at the top of the page (like: "Queen of England Elizabeth II") while it should be *after* the name (and preferably not with the name at all)
  • only one title is displayed there, completely randomly chosen, and it is displayed a second time with the other titles
  • TNG does not accept the dates that go with the title (yes, there can be dates. Henry VIII was king from 1509 to 1547, I want to show that he only carried that title in that period)

To solve this, I created a custom Title event that doesn't show with the name at the top, and includes the dates assigned to it.

My problem is that the titles display mixed with the "other events" (occupation, residence,...). I would like them to display on top, under the name and AKA, above the birth date.

I think I read something about setting the order number to something, but I can't seem to find which number I should set it to...

Thaks for any hints!
Tom

fluffy82

Maybe I should mention that I'm using Robin's Regroup Person Profile mod, which also affects the grouping/placing of all events and facts. Though I think it only groups them in blocks and doesn't actually change the order.

There is also the weird thing that in my desktop app I have 4'373 Title events, and in TNG only 1'297...

Robin Richmond

I hard-coded Regroup Person Profile to put specific "events" in the first data block  Right now, there's no way to add a new type of event to the first data block without changing the PHP code. 

Also, the events in the first data block are not sorted by date.  The program adds name and name components, then sex, then birth (and I add secondary birth events) and christening/altbirth, then death (and I add burial and cause of death),

But, treating {title} as your title tag, if you added
doCustomEvents($personID,"I",0, '+', '', '{title}');
right after
doCustomEvents($personID,"I",0, '+', '', 'Race');
in the .cfg file or in the modded code, the title events will be inserted after race and before death, and I suspect that they will be sorted.

Or, come to think of it, you might be able to change 'Race' to 'Race,{title}'

You would also need to remove the title events from the secondary personal block, by changing this line in the mod or in the modded code:

doCustomEvents($personID,"I", 0, '-', 'BIRT,DEAT,BURI,_DCAUSE,NAME,TITL,NPFX,NSFX,NICK,ALIA', 'Race');
(You'd need to change 'Race' to 'Race,{title}')

I'll also try to look into using the order attribute of eventtypes to drive events into that first block.  But that order has a use now, and I'll need to make sure to to screw that up. (I've just now fiddled with the order, and and I can't see an effect, but an effect is supposed to be there.)

- Robin

marcirish

Robin,

I am looking forward to your new version of Regroup Person Profile.  I am using your last version with a couple of small sections commented out so I could install it.  I think it was two sections regarding children.  I really like how this mod displays the information for each person.

marc irish

fluffy82

Hi Robin,

sorry, I only just now noticed your reply. Thanks for the tips, I'll try it out now. Just changing Race into my own event seems the easiest, I don't use that fact/event anyway.

Yours,

fluffy82

It works like a charm :)

Thanks again!

Robin Richmond

Marc - I have two questions about your post

1. Since (per an email message I just now sent you) the download link for Regroup Person Profile mod doesn't work, how did you get the version that displayed siblings?  I don't see an outbox message that says that I sent it to you directly. Did I have a version posted for a while?

2. Can you tell me which mod conflicted with that feature?  Was it just a code conflict, or a functionality conflict, as well. (That is, did the two mods have overlapping features?)  If people find it necessary to comment out part of my mod, it might be a good idea for me to accommodate the conflicting mod within my mod.

- Robin

marcirish

Robin--

Good questions.  I am not sure about the answers.  I looked through my emails but couldn't find one in which you sent my the version that displays siblings.  You also could have had a version posted for a bit.  I really like to tinker with how my web page displays information so I have done lots of tweaking with mods.  I think at one point I went back and installed the Regroup Person Profile mod first (because I like it so much) and then worked around that.

Not sure I can come up with mod conflicts from the past but I will keep track in the future and let you know right away.  Looking forward to installing newest version of Regroup Person Profile.  I will keep you posted on what I run into.

Marc

fluffy82
On 11/1/2019 at 5:24 AM, Robin Richmond said:

Also, the events in the first data block are not sorted by date.  The program adds name and name components, then sex, then birth (and I add secondary birth events) and christening/altbirth, then death (and I add burial and cause of death),

Hi Robin,

something I didn't pay attention to until now: baptisms or christenings are not moved into the first block. Birth, death, burial, cause of death and title (after changing race into my own title event) all show, but baptisms don't.

I thought that you might be using "christening" in stead of "baptism", but that's not even in the list of fact types in TNG (baptism is, with the tag BAPM, but christening isn't there) and looking at the code of the mod, neither bapstism nor christening are mentioned.

It would be nice to have the baptism up there as well, right under the birth just like the burial already is right under the death fact.

Not something I need you to act on immediately... Just an idea for when you want or need to update the mod in the future :)

Regards,
Tom