TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
zim

[resolved] how do i hide / disable the Contact Us form?

zim

yeah, i know i shouldn't b/c people have contacted me. but no one real has contacted me in over 2 years and i get a ton of spam daily. i'm done w/ that.

i have this running on a hosting service. i cannot recall how i installed this and i cannot find a set of files locally. meaning, while i would typically have searched through those template files to find it, edit it, and upload the changed file, that's not really an option right now. but, i *do* have file change access on that hosting service, so i can edit it directly on the server. just need to know where.

i'm using template 9, if that matters.

what's the most straightforward way for me to do this?

zim

what i tried so far: editing template9 index.php and commenting out:

<li>
			<a href="<?php echo $cms['tngpath']; ?>suggest.php"><span class="l"></span><span class="t"><?php echo $text['contactus']; ?></span></a>
		</li>

that didn't seem to do it.

i'm also concerned that i need to get rid of the form itself, not just the link to it. bots and all.

Chris Lloyd

You could use the recaptcha system or alternatively the mod image captcha

Brett
4 hours ago, zim said:

i'm also concerned that i need to get rid of the form itself

As a minimum, before removing the contact form (rename to .bak a preferred option), you would need to remove all links to that page. There are 2 on the Template 9 index.php page, another in topmenu.php and also the drop down menu selection.

1 hour ago, Chris Lloyd said:

alternatively the mod image captcha

The Image Captcha Add-on appears popular and installs on TNG 9.0.4.

If spammers are a big concern, you should also consider a Captcha Mod for the New Registration form.

If installing one of the Captcha Mods does not suit you, let us know here and I can offer the necessary code.

zim

ok, i'm willing to give the capcha a try. thanks for the link Brett.

i guess i need a wiki account now. the site itself, this support site, the wiki... how many logins am i going to end up with?

zim

thanks everyone for the captcha suggestion and Brett for the link. i've got it installed and working.

cheers everyone.