Jump to content
TNG Community
fluffy82

Show all family mod issue

Recommended Posts

fluffy82

This question/message is specifically to Andrew DuPree (@Mkoche I think?), the developper of this MOD. The Wiki page said to get help or info on the TNG Community pages.

I encountered an issue with the Show all family mod. It interacts badly with Robin's Regroup Person-Parent Rel mod and the similar mods (Regroup Person-Date Place etc). Whil it is perfectly possible to install them (they say "OK to install" in a green field), after installing the website breaks and only shows an empty white page. It doesn't matter in what order: first the Show all family, or first the Regroup ones. Separately they install ok, when one is installed, the other one remains green, but when you install that, the white screen is back.

I solved it by replacing the cust_text file with an older version, making the problematic MODs "partially installed" and thus being able to switch them off.

Is there anything I can do to avoid that from happening? If not, I'll just keep the 4 separate mods this one is supposed to replace [Show_End_of_Lines, Show_Stepparents, Other_Spouses and Show_Children_Spouses] though I do like the new option to see the ancestors too in a drop down.

Thanks!
Tom

PS I did the update to TNG 12.2
PS2 the mod Show_end_of_lines was not installed previously; I did install it now, it shows a field on the person page, but it does not give me a result... Just an empty field ūüėĘ

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mkoche

Thanks for letting me know.  Haven't seen the issue. Will take a look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fluffy82
34 minutes ago, mkoche said:

Thanks for letting me know.  Haven't seen the issue. Will take a look.

I spoke too soon. I thought Robin's mods were the problem as they also modify the getperson.php and I was installing those when the error occured. But I just did a test and I uninstalled *all* my mods. Then I installed, as one and only mod, the show all family, and I still get the white screen.

What I decribed above, was an immediate white screen showing while working in the admin section. After clicking "install", everything went blank.
When just installing the Show all fmaily mod, the admin seems to remain working, but becomes blank as soon as I click somewhere else. The public site is also blank.

Regards,
Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mkoche

Are you using another language?  This sounds like a cust_text issue. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tngrlkrz

When I've had the dreaded 'white screen' it usually is a syntax error such as a missing semicolon somewhere.  When you uninstall all mods, you might wish to refresh some of the original php files involved, personlib.php, getperson.php and check cust_text.php files.  Some times there are mod remnants remaining.

Ron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ken Roy

You can take a look at the TNG Wiki Blank Pages for some of the causes.  On the TNG Admin page, the 2 likely areas are cust_text.php and customconfig.php  It you are using a language other than English for your install, copy the content of that language cust_text.php and use the Syntax Checker to find the error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fluffy82
3 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

You can take a look at the TNG Wiki Blank Pages for some of the causes.  On the TNG Admin page, the 2 likely areas are cust_text.php and customconfig.php  It you are using a language other than English for your install, copy the content of that language cust_text.php and use the Syntax Checker to find the error.

So... I first tried to uninstall all the mods again, and replace the cust_text.php by an empty one (the original provided with a clean install). I then installed Show_all_family and got the white page again. Running the text it created in the cust_text.php through the Syntax Checker, it says the following:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '' (T_ENCAPSED_AND_WHITESPACE), expecting '-' or identifier (T_STRING) or variable (T_VARIABLE) or number (T_NUM_STRING) in CODE on line 7
Errors parsing CODE

About the following line in the text:

$text['oldend'] = "Patriarch & Matriarch";

I'm far from being an expert in coding, I just know the basics... But does this mean that there is a problem with the "&" character that is used? I can't see what else could be wrong... The format is exactly the same as all others... $text['variable'] = "translation";
 

 

EDIT: I tried to remove the "&" in the file and replaced it by "and" but that didn't work...

Edited by fluffy82

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fluffy82

Ah, I do see another problem, but it is not necessarily related to that particular line....

In the text, sometimes “ is used, and sometimes "... I changed them all to " and now it works.

By manually changing the cust_text.php, the mod shows as "partially installed" though... I'll just leave it like that until a fixed mod is published (if that's necessary? I seem to be the only one with this problem so far...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
theKiwi

That corresponding error must be somewhere in the .cfg file for the Mod - so you can clean it up, and open the .cfg file to find and correct the problems with curly quotes in place of straight quotes, save that, and then install the Mod again.

Roger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mkoche

Hmm- I can clean up the curly quotes and republish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mkoche

Honestly, I could not find a curly quote in there but I straightened all quotes in the cfg... so there should be nothing like that.  Here is the cfg to replace the other one -- and if it handles the problem, I will replace it online.

show_all_family_v12.0.0.4.cfg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fluffy82
1 minute ago, mkoche said:

Honestly, I could not find a curly quote in there but I straightened all quotes in the cfg... so there should be nothing like that.  Here is the cfg to replace the other one -- and if it handles the problem, I will replace it online.

show_all_family_v12.0.0.4.cfg

 

I did a search, and they only appeared in the Dutch UTF8 section. There's 4 or 5 of them.

Now I got this working, I notice another problem... (sorry to bother you with all that).
To be sure it's not linked to "interference" with another mod, I uninstalled all mods except Show_all_family and replaced the getperson.php end genlib.php by fresh ones.

Earliest Ancestor don't show
Matriarchs and Patriarchs don't show
Stepparents show
Other spouses of spouse show
Children's spouses show

Comparing with the individual mods:

- earliest ancestor doesn't show anything now; with the separate mod it showed a field but no names
- I never tried a matriarch & patriarch mod, so I can't compare

 

Thanks for all your help and sorry for the many questions and problems...
Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fluffy82
36 minutes ago, theKiwi said:

That corresponding error must be somewhere in the .cfg file for the Mod - so you can clean it up, and open the .cfg file to find and correct the problems with curly quotes in place of straight quotes, save that, and then install the Mod again.

Roger

That's what I did :)
Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mkoche

Earliest Ancestor was not in any other of my mods?
 

to be clear, the rows are showing but without data?  Can you private message a screenshot or better a link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fluffy82
7 minutes ago, fluffy82 said:

I did a search, and they only appeared in the Dutch UTF8 section. There's 4 or 5 of them.

Now I got this working, I notice another problem... (sorry to bother you with all that).
To be sure it's not linked to "interference" with another mod, I uninstalled all mods except Show_all_family and replaced the getperson.php end genlib.php by fresh ones.

Earliest Ancestor don't show
Matriarchs and Patriarchs don't show
Stepparents show
Other spouses of spouse show
Children's spouses show

Comparing with the individual mods:

- earliest ancestor doesn't show anything now; with the separate mod it showed a field but no names
- I never tried a matriarch & patriarch mod, so I can't compare

 

Thanks for all your help and sorry for the many questions and problems...
Tom

Ok... I checked a person page and the Showall ajax thingamabob is being exectuted. Only... It says <tr id="earlyrow" style="display:none;" >
According to the inspector that's an inline command. I looked for earlyrow in my custom css and couldn't find it, so I never set it to not display...
I checked the options of the mod, and all are set to display. Changing them to value "0" doesn't do anything, setting them back to "1" neither.

However, it only shows that for the earliest ancestor. The matriarch & patriarch row is nowhere to be found, not even in "display:none".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fluffy82
5 minutes ago, mkoche said:

Earliest Ancestor was not in any other of my mods?
 

to be clear, the rows are showing but without data?  Can you private message a screenshot or better a link?

Sorry, it was the other way around. I had the Show_end_of_line mod that showed the following:

end of line.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mkoche

Right'o, screenshot is from the early mod on End of Line...  got it.

I wonder if you are not picking up settings?  If both rows are missing that means it is not getting the right settings.  You might try deleting the showall settings file in your extensions directory...uninstall first...delete this file and install.  Just an idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fluffy82
4 minutes ago, mkoche said:

Right'o, screenshot is from the early mod on End of Line...  got it.

I wonder if you are not picking up settings?  If both rows are missing that means it is not getting the right settings.  You might try deleting the showall settings file in your extensions directory...uninstall first...delete this file and install.  Just an idea.

That didn't help. Also, I cheered too early. I just noticed that it does show when I remove the display:none, but it just gives the person himself, saying that there are 0 ancestors...
I think I might need to reimport my gedcom, probably something went wrong there? Or shouldn't that cause a problem? When I go to the ancestors TAB it does show everyone as intended.

voorouders.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fluffy82

The only thing I could imagine messing things up, is that out of a historic interest, I have (partially) included the work of Christian Settipani in my tree, going back to Roman times. There are quite a few BC dates in my database, and I know TNG does not like those... Could that be the issue?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mkoche

I don't think so.  Dates are not used except in the display.  A recap: 

1. do either of the rows show in the actual page display?
2. One shows and the other does not? So it is finding no data?  (The rows should not be displayed without data.) 

The matriarchs and patriarchs, works just like end of line...in the old mod.  It is not connected to earliest ancestors in any way. When you click on the arrow in the screenshot above does it display anything? 
 

and is this behavior true on all records?  
 

(if so, could it be that you have used any label to identify relationships to children ... other than empty (the default) or "birth"  because that would kill both earliest ancestors and patriarchs/matriarchs.  You can see the type of parent relationship under the parents on the person edit pages.  If there is anything there except empty or birth, it will not follow the, back and will return Zero parents.  I doubt this is the issue but if you have something there....let me know)

but from what I see the display should be hidden...as it is if there are no ancestors.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fluffy82
8 hours ago, mkoche said:

1. do either of the rows show in the actual page display?
2. One shows and the other does not? So it is finding no data?  (The rows should not be displayed without data.) 

The Earliest Ancestor shows, but behind a "hidden display". So you can't see it, but it is there. The Matriarch & Patriarch isn't there at all.

 

8 hours ago, mkoche said:

The matriarchs and patriarchs, works just like end of line...in the old mod.  It is not connected to earliest ancestors in any way. When you click on the arrow in the screenshot above does it display anything?

Yes. It gives the name, birth, death and age of the person whose profile I'm on, followed by (self)

 

8 hours ago, mkoche said:

and is this behavior true on all records? 

Yes. I've tried a dozen, randomly, with always the same result.

 

8 hours ago, mkoche said:

(if so, could it be that you have used any label to identify relationships to children ... other than empty (the default) or "birth"  because that would kill both earliest ancestors and patriarchs/matriarchs.  You can see the type of parent relationship under the parents on the person edit pages.  If there is anything there except empty or birth, it will not follow the, back and will return Zero parents.  I doubt this is the issue but if you have something there....let me know)

I use Family Tree Maker and Ancestry to make my tree. The relation between child/parent is never empty, it is standard "biological" but can be altered to step, foster, adopted,... I do have some "adopted" relationships, but only 3 or 4 in a tree of 44,500 people. The rest are all biological children/parents.
When I go into the person edit page, the relation is indeed empty (see attachment).

parents.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fluffy82

Aaaaaaaaaaah! I manually changed the relation above for this person to "birth" in stead of empty. Now it shows the Patriarch & Matriarch, being his own parents. The earliest ancestor is still hidden. When I do the same for his father, it's his grandfather who becomes the Patriarch.

So, the mod doesn't consider an empty relation as an existing relation. TNG does, though. All the charts and ascendancy/descendancy tables work fine, and also the "relationship to site owner" mod works. So TNG does recognise the parent/child relation, only this mod doesn't for some reason...
 

patriarch.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mkoche

No, the mod does consider an empty relationship to be an existing relation. 

But I think there must be something in the field for you ... somehow. 

Interesting.

If it happens for you it might happen for someone else.  I will fix.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
carltonb

This is why I love TNG, team work from a lot of people to help solve problems.

Carlton Brooks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mkoche

Tom:

So this version of showallfamily might fix your issue...

showallfamily_v4a.zip

What it does is changes the search for ancestors to exclude stepparents, foster and adopted families - which means it includes everything else (as opposed to only including empty and birth relations).  I also found an issue where the expand arrow was not showing on some folks who have only a single ancestor. This should be fixed.

I would like to know if this works for you.

Cheers,

Scott

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×