TNG Community
jhculbert

Issue Exporting Places in GEDCOM

jhculbert

When exporting a GEDCOM from TNG, it has been noted recently that only the places that have been Geocoded are exported int the GEDCOM.  This difference is noted by comparing the number of Places in the GEDCOM creation process only shows the exact number of geocoded places in the Tree, when compared to the Tree's table of Places, which shows all Places, whether or not they were geocoded.

Why are non-geocoded Places not included in the GEDCOM?

And, why does the TNG help info. for GEDCOM Export say "all" data is exported?

Ken Roy

That would be a question for Darrin or the TNG user2list since Darrin does not monitor the forum.

theKiwi

Not really true - TNG exports ALL of the places that are part of any event in the GEDCOM file during the export of all of the data. The xx places exported note at the end of the GEDCOM export process refers as you say to those places that are geocoded - they are exported again at the end of the GEDCOM file with their LAT/LONG and other attributes (notes or photo), but the places listed there are already present in the GEDCOM file at all of the places they are used in events.

An import of that GEDCOM file into any other software will not lose any places - they'll all be used in their respective events.

Roger

jhculbert

Thanks, Roger. Another user reported this issue to me. I did not have a small GEDCOM to inspect and thus verify that all places ARE exported. But I have now, and have verified that what you say IS correct. But, this does not explain WHY the TNG export process doesn't show the total number of places being exported, which is misleading.