TNG Community
Pat Downs

Usage advice for old maps

Pat Downs

I have a few old maps that I've acquired in my research (jpg format) that show interesting ancestral things, like a ferry location on a river that bears an ancestors name.  But these maps often cover a couple states and there's no way it would make sense to link the media to everyone who lived in the map area.  And these places don't exist in the current era.

So my question is, does anyone know of a way to bring attention to these old maps?  I could perhaps create a new collection called "Old Maps."  Any other suggestions?

theKiwi

You could at least link them to the people who are most closely associated with a place name - eg the ancestor it was named after, or that founded it.

That would get it into the TNG index and so Google would find it and index it and hopefully others would find it then.

Roger

Newfloridian

Hi Pat

I would agree with Roger that it makes sense to link maps to particular families. I have used several old maps (both regional and city) to illustrate patterns of movement and residence in the histories of several such families. I annotate associates villages (regional) and streets or buildings (city) that are of particular relevance. Of course some maps are too big to display either comfortably and clearly but I did come across a facility which allows you to scan across and zoom in and out of images.

For a more general and broad based approach isn't that what heat maps are for? (I don't use them myself)

Sent you a PM with an example

Cheers Alan

stores

I went the Maps category route and i link my maps to the place as opposed to the people because down the line if another person is added to the tree with connections to that map, you might not remember to link them to the map, since the map places are already linked to the people. I have hundreds of maps showing towns, counties, territories and states as well as county maps showing the layout of townships.

maps.jpg

stores

For places that no longer exist or are so small they no longer show on maps, i still use those places in my tree since that is where the event occurred. In the case of these historical places i create a little bio of the place using a text file and link that file with html in the notes for the place. The fun part is figuring out the correct Lat/Long to add the place.

historical.jpg

Pat Downs

Thanks everyone.  Excellent advice.