TNG Community

PHP errors with GEDCOM import

slowjim

I am creating a new version of my TNG website and testing it on my wampserver before deploying it. I converted a Family Tree Maker 2017 gedcom file using the gedcom_converter_v12.0.0.13 and placename_format_v12.0.0.4 mods. I am very pleased with the result. Particularly the ability to import 'citation' links which show up as thumbnail-media-links right below the relevant source citations in the 'Sources' section of an individual's page.  I think this looks cool and would also be convenient for anyone trying to understand what my sources were rather than just a written citation. I would be 100 percent happy if not for one vexing problem. When I click any of these links, the media displays as it should, but then there are two PHP errors at the bottom of the page. 

Warning: mysqli_free_result(): Couldn't fetch mysqli_result in C:\wamp64\www\mywebsite\tng\tngconnect.php on line 81
Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc(): Couldn't fetch mysqli_result in C:\wamp64\www\mywebsite\tng\tngconnect.php on line 50

Of course, the file size of this media is very large and I intend to take care of that later, but that has nothing to do with the errors. In fact, if I deleted all the 'citation' links to this media and just left a 'person' link, the errors would go away, but then the thumbnails will not display below the citations either. I know very little about PHP, but I suspect that the errors are probably caused by  my PHP configuration with my wampserver, but that is only a guess. I hate to upload this to my actual website and still see these errors there. In my wampserver, I checked PHP > PHP extensions >  and there I see 'php_mysqli' checked, so that means it's alright?? Right? My php version is 5.6.38 and the TNG Diagnostics tab shows all green checks. TNG V12.1

My hope is that someone with greater knowledge than I will be able to help me solve this problem for which I would be very grateful

https://thebrownfamilytree.info

php-errors.jpg

Well, I did find out that that I could uncheck 'display_errors' in my PHP settings and now the error does not show anything anymore and there doesn't seem to be any bad things happening. I think that is a band-aid solution. I wish I understood more about WHY the error occurs in the first place.

If anyone is interested, I managed to I find a solution. Robin Richmond, graciously mentions on his Gedcom Converter TNG_Wiki page a desktop program by Stephan Conner that does essentially the same conversions. I went to that webpage and downloaded his program. Following the instructions provided I made a new converted gedcom file. I put a clean copy of TNG 12.1 on my wampserver and set it up. I ran the new file through the Gedcom import page in the Administion area and it worked perfectly! It handled the 'citation' media links perfectly. Now I can display the thumbnail links to census', birth, death, documents, etc in the 'Sources' section where I think they make more sense, next to the appropriate citation instead of in the photos, or documents sections of an  individual's page. Now when you click these links, there are no more error messages.

I am not sure, but it appears possible that perhaps there is a compatibility issue with TNG 12.1 and v12.0.0.13.zip of the gedcom converter mod. In fairness, the mod page only says it is compatible with TNG 12.0.

After testing on my wampserver, I should have my new site up in a week or two.

OK, even with the program by Stephan Conner, the errors started appearing again. Sorry for suggesting it was solved. I put this problem up on the tng users list. Darrin suggested that the problem has been addressed in the 12.2 beta. I downloaded it and tried it out. He was absolutely correct! The error has been addressed in V12.2.b1. I turned 'display_errors' back on in my wampserver. First I tried the V12.1 website and the errors relating to mysqli-free-result and mysqli-fetch-assoc appeared again when I displayed a photo from a 'citation' media link. I repeated the exact same condition with the V12.2.b1 website. There were no errors! Problem solved!  I hope this new version will be out of beta soon. 

James Brown