TNG Community
bushtroll

Comments mod

BeresfordMike

Albin at Simply Hosting is also being quite helpful.

He whitelisted the mod

He found this error, which means nothing to me; but I will add, in case it means anything

[Wed Sep 23 23:44:03.123876 2020] [:error] [pid 28328:tid 47543197161216] [client 130.255.19.43:3644] [client 130.255.19.43] ModSecurity: Warning. detected XSS using libinjection. [file "/etc/apache2/conf.d/modsec_vendor_configs/OWASP3/rules/REQUEST-941-APPLICATION-ATTACK-XSS.conf"] [line "37"] [id "941100"] [rev "2"] [msg "XSS Attack Detected via libinjection"] [data "Matched Data: <div><b>Sep 24th 2020</b></div><div><br></div><div>

He suggested that I disabled mod-security - but that hasn't worked either.

Will keep posting if anything happens

XerxX

Wait! What? "XSS Attack Detected via libinjection😳

So you two have the same host and the same problem. No DDmenu item.

8 downloads from the TNG Wiki so far. 2 reports = 6 not reported. Are there any downloads out there that works?

I don't use the Comments "live", only on my localhost and it works fine. Yesterday I compared the genlib.php code that's making the DDmenu item between my working code and manofmull's not working. They were exactly the same. So I copied-and-pasted his code into mine and the menu is still okay.

I do suspect that  there is a mod that makes this happen. Maybe doing some Custom Menu thingie?

Do you use any other mod except Comments that modifies the DD menus?

/Erik

BeresfordMike

"XSS Attack Detected via libinjection"  I think that comes from the other TNG - Star Trek

My browser always gets a bit confused 🚀

Simply Hosting are working on the issue and will report back

BeresfordMike

Matt at Simply Hosting has resolved my problem.

They have been very helpful.

Part of the problem was my installation of the upgrade and he very kindly did a fresh install of the whole TNG13 package.

He also put  PHP version 7.3 into my setup - because that is the one they're using for new TNG installations

He then did a fresh install of the Comments mod which worked first time - so no problems there.

As my profile says - Newbie. Thanks to all who give great support with this programme.

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 15.37.01.png

XerxX

Mike... And now you see the "Comments" menu item at the bottom of the "Find" menu?

/Erik

manofmull

I was contemplating a fresh upgrade myself but waiting on Darrin to get back to me first

BeresfordMike

Erik,

A couple of things have happened - I did a test comment and received an email notification of the same.

In Template 10, which I am using, the "Comments" link hasn't appeared at the place where I think it should.
see attached.

Mike

Screenshot 2020-09-24 at 16.03.05.png

manofmull

Mike

per Erik's post above, you should see Comments at the bottom of the Find drop-down menu

manofmull
1 hour ago, XerxX said:

Do you use any other mod except Comments that modifies the DD menus?

Erik

For me, mod would be Date Analysis in the Info DD.

Uninstalled it but still showing there after logging out and back in (obviously I get a not found error)

The Folios mod uses the Media DD as does a couple of non-mod tweaks (custom events)

BeresfordMike

Erik and MM,

Thanks for the help.

The system is all working - emails and reading comments.

Mike

manofmull

Mike

You haven't answered the all-important question.

Do you see Comments at the bottom of the Find drop-down menu?

EDIT

Checked Mike's site and Comments is showing on the Find DD

BeresfordMike

Comments are at the bottom of the Find drop down menu.

Again thanks Erik and manofmull.

I think that the solution was in the fresh install.

I made errors in the upgrade process.

Mike

XerxX

Mike,

Shall I read this so that you DO see the "Comments" menu item in the "Find" menu?

Thanks

Erik

manofmull

Erik

Correct, Mike's site does now show Comments in Find, but only after after a re-install of the upgrade. I logged in and checked.

Looks like I will have to do this myself.

manofmull

Erik

I'm cursed. I did the TNG13 upgrade again and tried to instal the Comments mod first.

Nada in the Find DD menu.

I've removed it pending the next upgrade to TNG (maybe then it will work)

0415 in UK so time I got some sleep.

BeresfordMike

Hi Erik and Mike

Just to clarify:
 After various attempts on working with the "upgraded system" , it was decided to do a complete re-install. The full TNG v13 package was uploaded (instead of the tngupgrade123-13 upgrade package) and overwrote the existing files with the new core files.

Matt, at Simply Hosting, noted that there were some issues with the Admin Template not loading correctly.

Hope this info helps get things sorted.

XerxX

Hi both of you.

2 hours ago, BeresfordMike said:

Admin Template

Do you mean admin_templateconfig.php ? From a quick look I don't find anything "menu" there.

6 hours ago, manofmull said:

I did the TNG13 upgrade again

You didn't try the full install? You both tried the upgrade and both had the same problem.

Mike changed to the full install and the problem is gone...

Okay, there may be reasons for not doing a full install at your live site. Don't you have a localhost for testing?

Regards,

Erik

manofmull
4 minutes ago, XerxX said:

Hi both of you.

Do you mean admin_templateconfig.php ? From a quick look I don't find anything "menu" there.

You didn't try the full install? You both tried the upgrade and both had the same problem.

Mike changed to the full install and the problem is gone...

Okay, there may be reasons for not doing a full install at your live site. Don't you have a localhost for testing?

Regards,

Erik

Erik

I had local a few years ago but binned it.

Wouldn't a full instal break everything, links etc?

Also, it's too much, I'm exhausted.

Had I known that Mike hadn't done the upgrade only, I wouldn't have done so either!

XerxX
9 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Also, it's too much, I'm exhausted.

Had I known that Mike hadn't done the upgrade only, I wouldn't have done so either!

I'm sorry Mike, to hear this.

I'm not sure but I suppose some config-files mustn't be overwritten at a full install.

But I'm sure there are more experienced users in this matter on the forum. I've only done one upgrade once, my XerxX site to 11.1.2! The other site is a full 12.3 install and recently opened so I'm not going to upgrade that one. My localhost sites are also new because I had a computer crash and had to buy a new :-( ...

/Erik

Ken Roy
1 hour ago, XerxX said:

I'm not sure but I suppose some config-files mustn't be overwritten at a full install.

When you do a full install, all TNG files get replaced.

When doing an upgrade,  users should uninstall all mods before doing the upgrade, so that no parts get left behind.  That includes selecting Installed status, clicking the Select All button, and then click the Uninstall button, then doing the same thing for Partially Installed status and using the Clean Up button to ensure that all mods are completely removed.

Based on another forum post, it sounds like Michael may have remnants left behind in his customconfig.php where typically pull down entries should be added by mods. 

I do not use the Comments mod, so I can only offer observations as to what might be going on.

manofmull

Erik

I now have the Comments mod back, thanks to Matt at SimplyHosting.

Here's what he did: added the following to customconfig.php...

$findmenulinks[$link_nr]['label_text'] = $text['commentMsg'].$commentNews;

After adding that line, I can now view the Comments link under the Find drop-down menu.

On doing a test, I did not get an email or ! mark, but that's not a great worry.

The Find menu link clicks to the list of comments posted and that's the main thing.

EDIT

On deleting the test, the Find menu link is now showing as Comments !  (originally without ! mark)

XerxX
10 minutes ago, manofmull said:

$findmenulinks[$link_nr]['label_text'] = $text['commentMsg'].$commentNews;

The $commentNews variable is the exclamation mark.

If a logged-in user hasn't opened the Comments list page after a new comment is added, the " ! " ("New comment") is added, to the DD item, in genlib when it's created.

It's certainly strange that this happens to you as I have had no other user complaining. (That is: I hope more people are using it... Maybe this error made everyone give up? :-( )

/Erik

manofmull
32 minutes ago, XerxX said:

It's certainly strange that this happens to you as I have had no other user complaining.

Erik

"complaining" is not quite correct (too strong a word).

I was disappointed and frustrated that I encountered problems, but only because I love your mod so much (and so do my 200+ members). I highly recommend the Comments mod and I'm delighted to have the link back!

UPDATE

I got the test email about 30 minutes afterwards, so all "tickety-boo"

Michael

XerxX
41 minutes ago, manofmull said:

"complaining" is not quite correct (too strong a word).

Sorry. My English is far from perfect. "Klaga" in Swedish = Complain but maybe not meant to be so strong. Maybe. (My Swedish isn't perfect either :-D )

Anyway: I thank you for the very kind words and I'm glad you have got it working.

Best regards,

Erik.

mycroft

I'm sorry, but I encounter exactly the same problem with template 15. For deceased individuals - the site is still blank (only name, last name, dates and picture are displayed). 

I'm a new user and it's a fresh installation of v13. I use OVHcloud for hosting and my PHP version is 7.3.

I've tried clearing cache, I've tried adding a line to customconfig.php (what manofmull suggested), I've tried mod reinstallation etc. Nothing does the trick.