TNG Community
Pat Downs

Problem editing places

Pat Downs

I just enabled Google maps and geocoded all of my places.  I want to tweak some lat/long pairs to be more accurate and I'd also like to edit some place names.  My problem is that when I make changes and press SAVE my changes don't take effect.  There are no error messages of any sort.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?  Do I need to delete places and re add them?  I'm using Version 12.1

Thanks in advance.

Pat Downs

I finally bumped in to the answer to this question.  Begin by editing the place.  I was typing over the latitude and longitude and selecting SAVE.  While this is the hard way to do it, it also doesn't work.  TNG remembers the updated lat/long but the pin on the map never moves.  (Got me!)

The simple solution is to zoom in on the map as needed, and then click on the location where you wish the pin would appear.  The pin is now moved to where I want it.

Pat Downs

My apologies if this is too long.  I just finished editing about 2,200 places.  Now that I'm an "expert" I thought I'd offer a few pieces of input that might help others.

TNG offers 6 levels of places.  Since many of my places are cemeteries, I chose to use "Location" as that place level.  More precise than "City" and less precise than "Address."

As a matter of style, many of my places are rural and small.  So at the default zoom level of 10, there was a pin on the map, but not text confessing the name of the place.  I would zoom in while I was editing until Google would let the place name appear.  I then saved the edit at that new zoom level.

My places were initially all imported from Family Tree Maker.  I don't know who to blame, but many of my "places" weren't what I'd really call "places."  For instance, nicknames in FTM landed as places in TNG.  I chose to move those sorts of places to the "details" column.  There were many odd places in this editing, such as "World War II" or "immigrated to New Jersey."  I just cut the place with a CTRL-X and moved it to the detail with a CTRL-C and then click save.

I was given two places from FTM that began with unusual place names.  One began with a space, one began with a double quote (").  No amount of trying would succeed in updating these place names.  (It was a game but I lost.)  I thought it quite odd that in a 45 screen list of all my places (in alphabetical order), the first place is Stoddard County!  Well, it's actually " Stoddard County"  My only solution is to delete the place and make a new one.  Depending upon how many times that place is referenced, this may or may not be fun.  I have chosen to ignore these two places.  My second place name is "The Cemetery" in Chaffee, including the quote.  Spaces collate before double quotes which collate before letters.  Ha!

After 20 years of data entry, of course, there were typos and changes in naming style.  So that caused me to want to edit many place names.  Some edits are possible, some are not, and some are perplexing.  For instance, suppose you edit a place and just happen to use the name of another place that already exists.  There will be no explanatory/error message, and the result feels like the edit just wasn't accepted.  If this is your experience, first, check to see if the place already exists.

I'm using Google Maps.  It's great that I could submit 250 places at a time for Google to geocode.  But I found that if you send typos to Google Maps, Google may come up with some very funny and incorrect latitude / longitude pairs.  Cemeteries often were located in the wrong state.  Some places were in the wrong country.  I found that the best way to edit locations was to delete all the data for geocode location, latitude, longitude and zoom.  And either enter the latitude and longitude from another source manually, or be sure to use the same text for place name and geocode location.  When I didn't, sometimes TNG and I would get wonky.

Newark

Interesting and you have experienced some of the same issues I had when I first imported my tree from FTM, some years ago. I eventually did realise that any places appearing at the beginning, way out of alphabetical order, were because the place name had been typed with an accidental space before the first letter.

Are you aware of the place name merge facility, where you can get rid of accidental misspellings of places, or you might have put a comma after the City name, or some other variation. I have just completed a complete review of duplicates and I found the best way to identify them, (Admin/PlacesMerge) was to search either just for the county, or if too many, then a city. You then have a manageable list to go through.

Finally, to avoid such errors in future and to save a lot of entry typing time, when entering an address for a new fact, I enter a few letter of the town. E.g. For Hexham, I would type, hex (can be lower case) and click on the magnifying glass to the right. Up pops every address I have entered previously for Hexham and I just select the correct one.

Apologies if you know all those facets but as you say, there are bound to be newbies who haven't explored all the features yet.

i agree the google geocode isn't foolproof but it helps a lot.

fluffy82
On 9/15/2019 at 7:29 PM, Pat Downs said:

I finally bumped in to the answer to this question.  Begin by editing the place.  I was typing over the latitude and longitude and selecting SAVE.  While this is the hard way to do it, it also doesn't work.  TNG remembers the updated lat/long but the pin on the map never moves.  (Got me!)

The simple solution is to zoom in on the map as needed, and then click on the location where you wish the pin would appear.  The pin is now moved to where I want it.

Oh shit. I remember when I went over my 3.000 locations, I had some hard times finding certain spots like old castles or villages which don't exist anymore and aren't indicated on Google Maps. A bunch of them I found on other websites with geolocation, and I just copy-pasted the numbers into TNG. Stupidly enough, without checking them after saving... I'll have to go over them again now 😥