TNG Community
John Cowan

Append My External Library files?

John Cowan

I am a new TNG user who imported a GEDCOM created by my Ancestral Quest software. That went well.

But I would like website users to be able to look through my 500MB library of files and directories for documents photos etc grouped by individual, rather than break up all the files to put in various media collections. Can I simply load all my files into some place on the site with their file structure?

I appreciate any help anyone can give, as I am struggling to understand how best to use TNG without having to re-structure all my stuff.

Chris Lloyd

If you have your documents already sorted by individual in, say, folders for each person, then you should be able to add a link to individual records that points to that folder of documents.

John Cowan

Thanks Chris for the affirmation that I should be able to do it.

But where and how do I put individuals' folders on the site, and how do I create a link to each?

Chris Lloyd

What is your current file structure? The path that you would need to use is that file structure on your server.

Without knowing how you have set up your server and files I can make specific suggestions.

John Cowan

Not sure how to respond. I have 500 files in 55 directories occupying 493MB on my hard disk. I presume I need to FTP them to my site, somehow, and then link each directory to a person.

Chris Lloyd

Yes you'll need them on your server or an alternative server like flikr.

The simplest way to add a link to the correct directory would be to add it to the notes field for the individual.

Chris Lloyd

Personally I found using the TNG method of splitting files into separate folders and generating my own thumbnails with a third party program was the most effective way.

Once you have links that can be copied you will increase your security risks.

John Cowan

Thanks Chris.

I now have all the files and folders at my website in the public_ftp directory. 😀But I am unsure what should be in the link that I put in a TNG Note for each person. I tried by making up the following link for a Note for Andrew Jeffrey (for my website called jeffreycobourg.ca and the Library sub-directory I am aiming at of Andrew Jeffrey). http://jeffreycobourg.ca/home/jeffreyc/public_ftp/incoming/August 29 2019/Library/Andrew Jeffrey.  I figured out this path from cpanel inspection. 

I got a "Not Found" error message saying "The requested URL /home/jeffreyc/public_ftp/incoming/August 29 2019/Library/Andrew Jeffrey was not found on this server.  Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."

I see that the last part of the path is not underlined, though the error message seemed to pick up the full path. What am I doing wrong?

John

Chris Lloyd

the public_ftp shouldn't be part of the url - if you have access to your cpanel with your host have a look at the file manager and you should be able to work out what you want - it'll probably be something like:

http://jeffreycobourg.ca/August 29 2019/Library/AndrewJeffrey

depending on how you have called your folder and set up the structure.

John Cowan

With help from Simply Hosting I got the files so they are accessible from an url I put in the Notes field. However .docx files are not accessible, only the pdfs and jpegs. Got any clues?

I appreciate your help so far, and I am almost there, but not quite.  Thanks

John

Chris Lloyd

Personally I would NOT use docx files. Requires a user/viewer to have MSWord. I convert all my to pdf.

John Cowan

Maybe I should, but that means I need to convert all files to pdf every time I update the library on the website. Hmmmm.......

How about rtf - will that work in TNG?

John

Chris Lloyd

It's not TNG at issue - it is the docx and rtf. PDF is a universal format.

Still its your choice and if you're willing to limit accessability.......