TNG Community
Figi4

Contact form with Gmail settings returning PHP error

Figi4

When I realized that I was not receiving the email from Contact form etc I went looking into the wiki and the forum.  Im having trouble finding what I do not have set correctly.  Does anyone else use gmail successfully? 

I've filled out the smtp information (see attached) and get this error message below.  

Can someone help me fix this please?  Thank you!  ( Im running TNG 12.1 and template 13.  Its new and only has the OpenStreetMap mod.)

Fatal error: Uncaught phpmailerException: SMTP Error: Could not authenticate. in /srv/disk2/3123167/www/ourfamilyforest.com/genealogy/class.phpmailer.php:1692 Stack trace: #0 /srv/disk2/3123167/www/ourfamilyforest.com/genealogy/class.phpmailer.php(1540): PHPMailer->smtpConnect(Array) #1 /srv/disk2/3123167/www/ourfamilyforest.com/genealogy/class.phpmailer.php(1335): PHPMailer->smtpSend('Date: Thu, 22 A...', 'Comments (Our F...') #2 /srv/disk2/3123167/www/ourfamilyforest.com/genealogy/class.phpmailer.php(1213): PHPMailer->postSend() #3 /srv/disk2/3123167/www/ourfamilyforest.com/genealogy/tngmaillib.php(53): PHPMailer->send() #4 /srv/disk2/3123167/www/ourfamilyforest.com/genealogy/tngsendmail.php(138): tng_sendmail('name', 'myemail@gma...', 'Our Family Fore...', 'myemail@gma...', 'Comments (Our F...', 'Comments (Our F...', 'myemail@gma...', 'myemail@gma...') #5 {main} thrown in /srv/disk2/3123167/www/ourfamilyforest.com/genealogy/class.phpmailer.php on line 1692

screenshot.JPG

Ken Roy

You probably should report this error to Darrin.

jrueger

Have you tried using Port number: 465 and Encryption: ssl ?  It looks like your error is only related to using tls ( line 1692 of class.phpmailer.php).

slowjim

I am getting the exact same 5 errors. The settings for outbound I used are exactly the same I use with my email clients.

smtp.jpg

jrueger

I have found that the Encryption setting needs to be in lowercase - i.e ssl rather than SSL ...

slowjim

jrueger - you were right! putting 'ssl' in lower case solved the problem. It now works. Thanks!

Figi4

I contacted Darrin and he suggested for me to not use Gmail as there were too many problems.  Once I switched to my domain email it worked perfectly.