TNG Community
SharonM

Password protection for Features

SharonM

I have my site password protected (via Setup >> Configuration >> General Settings>>Privacy) but it doesn't protect the PDFs that are accessed via the 'Features' section on the front page of Template 10, using TNGv9.

To clarify - if I try to access any part of the site (other than the front page) without logging on, I am presented with the logon page, EXCEPT if I try and access any of the PDF's listed in the features section. 

Is there some way I can  force a login before allowing access to these PDF's please?  

Thank you

Sharon

manofmull

Sharon

It's not just PDFs, but any media type/site link in the featured section can be accessed without needing to log in.

Maybe someone in here might know how to protect these links, but I suspect it may have to go back to Darrin.

For me too, this seems to be a "flaw".

Michael

manofmull

Late thought : there may be a way around this problem.

I'm going to add my featured media per photos/headstones etc.. so that they are "registered" with TNG.

I'll let you know if this makes any difference

M

SharonM

I'm not sure what you mean by adding 'per photos/headstones etc..',  but my PDFs are all listed as Histories. Does that mean they are 'registered'?  If so, it clearly hasn't protected them. 

If I've misundersttod, I'd be interested to know your results.

Thank you,

Sharon

manofmull

Sharon

That seems to work for me. I tested with a photo link and it's not viewable in Features when logged out

I need to try with a pdf file though!

M

manofmull

I've just tested this with a PDF doc and it doesn't work (no protection when not logged in)

This would therefore seem to be unique with pdf files

M

manofmull
14 minutes ago, SharonM said:

I'm not sure what you mean by adding 'per photos/headstones etc..',  but my PDFs are all listed as Histories. Does that mean they are 'registered'?  If so, it clearly hasn't protected them. 

If I've misundersttod, I'd be interested to know your results.

Thank you,

Sharon

Sharon

Per my reply above, it doesn't work for PDFs, even when "registered" (recognised by TNG) in Documents.

I removed my test pdf because of this.

M

SharonM

Thank you. Hopefully someone will come up with a solution. 

Sharon

Chris Lloyd

Have a look at the restrict access to logged in users mod. PDFs are restricted.

Brett
1 hour ago, Chris Lloyd said:

Have a look at the restrict access to logged in users mod. PDFs are restricted.

Chris

Wiki description states -

NOTE:

• The mod does not currently inhibit access to PDF media

Installed on TNG9.2.2 - 12.1.0 sites, pdfs are still viewable.

Chris Lloyd

Thanks for pointing that out will have to check on my site....

Brett
On 8/22/2019 at 7:26 PM, Chris Lloyd said:

Thanks for pointing that out will have to check on my site

Chris

When you have a chance, please update as to whether the PDFs are viewable to non logged in visitors on your site with the Restrict Access Mod .

Chris Lloyd

Yes I can confirm this - I have several PDF's attached to my own entry in TNG and in a logged in state I can see them all. When accessed though a different browser and not logged in all images, documents and PDF are NOT viewable.

Chris Lloyd

It may well be as Katryne state - the PAC mod that is blocking access as I have both installed.

Brett
4 hours ago, Katryne said:

Maybe you could try the mod Public Access control

Katryne

While a good suggestion, at the present time this option is not suitable for Sharon as she is running TNG9 and the available Public Access Mods on the Wiki require TNG10.1.2 or higher.

manofmull

Another thing about the PAC mod (which is very good/used it myself), it's only for sites that don't require login

I believe Sharon's does (like mine too)

M

SharonM

I've been interested in reading these comments, but as Brett and manofmull say, it isn't suitable for my TNG 9 site. However, I have been looking into the upgrade process, and it doesn't seem too complicated, following the videos on YouTube. I think this is something I will do in the next few months - it looks as though TNG12 will allow me to use maps too, which is something else I have posted about on these pages. I may then want to make use of the PAC mod - another learning curve me as at the moment I don't use mods at all. 

(I assume mod is just an abbreviation of 'modification?) 

Thank you all for your comments, they have helped me come to a decision about upgrading to v12. 

Sharon

manofmull

Sharon

Yes, mod is short for the bigger word.

No mods!? - omg, I have 72 installed. My site would be lost without at least half of them.

FWIW dept: my fav version of TNG was 10

Michael

SharonM

Mine's only a very small site, and I'm the only editor, plus, I manage my data using desktop software and just use the TNG site to make information available to any of my family who are interested (not many are, and usually only briefly :( ) , so maybe that's why I haven't felt the need for any mods - until now that is. 

As a matter of interest, why was v10 your favourite? And what is it about 11 and 12 that put them lower on your list? 

Sharon

Newfloridian

TNG 10.1.3 - my favourite. Still is! Sent you a PM

Alan

manofmull
26 minutes ago, SharonM said:

Mine's only a very small site, and I'm the only editor, plus, I manage my data using desktop software and just use the TNG site to make information available to any of my family who are interested (not many are, and usually only briefly :( ) , so maybe that's why I haven't felt the need for any mods - until now that is. 

As a matter of interest, why was v10 your favourite? And what is it about 11 and 12 that put them lower on your list? 

Sharon

Sharon

From TNG11, there were changes made to homepage links and the inclusion of a new DNA section, neither of which I wanted.

After upgrading to 11, I've tweaked my homepages (I use three) to the link-style of 10 and also deleted the DNA section.

Having said that, TNG11 isn't too bad, it's just a matter of preference.

If I were in your shoes, I'd upgrade to 10 and give that a try first.

M

Katryne

I started with version 10 and I am very happy now with 12.1. Just as Michael did, I erased the DNA part. My familly site is private, but the village site is half public and requires login to view  recent details and media. Members are very few and are mostly contributors. So yes, my site needs login and hides tmedia from non connected visitors via the Public Access Control mod. And overall, I love the last template I installed (Nr 13) on the village site. I even started from it to build a theme for my Online photo album.

Katryne

I thought my media were safe from non-connected visitors owing to Public Access Control mod, but a friend found a way to a media item : provided one knows the url, medias are accessible to non-connected users. Even if they are hidden on getperson page and if the media menu is not displayed.

Of course this access requires to be given the url by an authorized member.

theKiwi
11 hours ago, Katryne said:

I thought my media were safe from non-connected visitors owing to Public Access Control mod, but a friend found a way to a media item : provided one knows the url, medias are accessible to non-connected users. Even if they are hidden on getperson page and if the media menu is not displayed.

Of course this access requires to be given the url by an authorized member.

If you want to prevent this you'd have to put a password on the media folders using .htpasswd and .htaccess files. Then anyone trying to view the media directly would need to know that userID and password.

Roger