TNG Community
mahesh

TNG-Worpress Login Widget version 1.0.3.beta

mahesh

After months of languishing on the back burner, I' ve managed to complete a simple widget which logs in toTNG using Wordpress credentials   (user name or user email) .

You may try this widget out by downloading Beta version from here.

I have been using @HeatherFeuer's widget for more than 6 years. When WPTNG Frontend User Functions  3.0 (for TNG V10) came along, it needed Wordpress to be in root directory to allow @klooster method for integrating WP & TNG. I was too stubburn to change my configuration so I stayed with TNG Frontend User Functions  2.0,  TNG V9.2.2 and Mark Barnes integration plugin. I have TNG Version 10.1.3 running on my test site since 2015 but did not upgrade my live site until last month.

I have been using Mark Barnes integration plugin for over six years without (virtually) no issues but on upgrade to TNG 10.1.3, last moth, I have failed miserably to get this to work.

Integrating Wordpress is really a very simple and obvious answer is to just replace TNG headers and footers with Wordpress ones.

It is so simple and obvious that it needs a genious to actually think of it and implement it.
Cees Kloosterman is that genious.
Thanks @klooster.
(Now, what we really need is a simple script that installs topmenu, footer, meta and index files in relevant places)

I have successfully converted my live site to CK method and my wp-tng login widget is working successfully on my live and my test site

I would ike to share wh yo thiswidget. It is working very well with CK integration method.

I have not been able to install Mark Barnes method of integration on my test site but I doubt if widget will work with this plugin.

Let me know you think.

mahesh
On 9/2/2019 at 3:34 PM, mahesh said:

I now have a working release (v1.0.4) of the widget at

https://github.com/upavadi/tng-wp-login/releases/latest

which works well on Kloosterman method of integration but has not been tested on M.Barnes method.

I thought I would have another attempt to install tng-wordpress-plugin (M Barnes method). So uploaded fresh copy of tng V10.1.3 and downloaded the plugin.

and it worked.

I am pleased to announce that the tng-wp-login widget works very well with M. Barnes method.

http://trial.upavadi.net/genealogy2/

Next job on the list: download v12.

theKiwi
6 hours ago, mahesh said:

I am pleased to announce that the tng-wp-login widget works very well with M. Barnes method.

Presumably this is with the option in the TNG Widget in WordPress to "Integrate Logins" to be NOT checked?

Roger

mahesh
10 hours ago, theKiwi said:

Presumably this is with the option in the TNG Widget in WordPress to "Integrate Logins" to be NOT checked?

Roger

Thank you roger for pointing that out. I had been using this method for such a long time ( over 8 years )  that I forgot to mention that

Integrate TNG/Wordpress logins: has to be deselected.
I guess I got too excited to have the plugin working properly.

Thanks again, Roger.

theKiwi

Thanks Mahesh - as Winter approaches slowly but relentlessly here in Michigan, I might take a look at the TNG-WordPress plugin with a view to removing all of the extraneous code from it that is concerned with the integrated logins, and doesn't actually work, and leave the plugin to just deal with displaying TNG on a WordPress page, and if people want to control logins to TNG through WordPress they can separately use your plugin.

Roger

mahesh
On 9/9/2019 at 11:51 AM, theKiwi said:

I might take a look at the TNG-WordPress plugin with a view to removing all of the extraneous code from it that is concerned with the integrated logins, and doesn't actually work, and leave the plugin to just deal with displaying TNG on a WordPress page, and if people want to control logins to TNG through WordPress they can separately use your plugin.

Roger

That sounds like an excellent idea. It would, most probably, make the plugin much more stable. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that the login widget would work with V12 and prove to be stable.

A Confession: When I started to think about this plugin, early this year, I knew very little about TNG login flow and even less about coding in PHP. It has been a steep learning curve (at my age) but most of my knowledge about how TNG login works, came from the integration plugin.

So if I can be of any help, please do let me know and thanks for heads up - coming from you, it does mean a lot to me.