TNG Community
Sign in to follow this  
HeinzArthurNiederheitmann

Password

HeinzArthurNiederheitmann

How can a user with an editor role change the password? ?

Ken Roy

Did you check the box for Allow to edit user profile and change password in that User record.

If you are not on TNG v12, the box might only show Allow to edit user profile

Brett

What version of TNG are you using? You have used tag TNG-10.

If that is the case, if the user knows there old password, they can change from the log in screen by selecting Reset your password, which then gives a New Password option. If they do not, they can request a temporary password from the same page.

image.png

Ken Roy
7 hours ago, Brett said:

What version of TNG are you using? You have used tag TNG-10.

If that is the case, if the user knows there old password, they can change from the log in screen by selecting Reset your password,

Brett,

Maybe I was too cryptic in my answer above.  The user cannot get a new password sent to them from the Login screen unless they have the

18 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Allow to edit user profile

privilege box checked in their user record.  The text was changed in TNG v12 because it was not obvious that that privilege also controlled whether a user could request a temporary password.

Brett
28 minutes ago, Ken Roy said:

The user cannot get a new password sent to them from the Login screen

While this seems to be the intention, my TNG 10.0.0 & TNG 10.1.3 allows a user to reset their password, where they know their old one, from the login page on the public side, irrespective of the option set below.

18 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Allow to edit user profile

Ken Roy

Brett,

Sorry, I should have said the following.

You can change your password on the login page if you know your old password. 

You cannot get an email sending you a temporary password, if you do not have the Allow to edit user profile box checked in your user record.

Brett
16 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

You cannot get an email sending you a temporary password, if you do not have the Allow to edit user profile box checked in your user record.

Ken

This is becoming bigger than reseting a password. In TNG 12.1.0, I have created a new user as Editor. I have not checked the Allow to edit user profile and change password .

Not only does an email arrive to reset the password, when accessing the Admin section, the new user can modify other User's details.

Are you able to test this and confirm please? Or have I not turned on some setting?

Ken Roy
6 hours ago, Brett said:

Ken

This is becoming bigger than reseting a password. In TNG 12.1.0, I have created a new user as Editor. I have not checked the Allow to edit user profile and change password .

Not only does an email arrive to reset the password, when accessing the Admin section, the new user can modify other User's details.

Are you able to test this and confirm please? Or have I not turned on some setting?

Brett,

Sorry, I do not have the time to test this out, but this sounds like either (1) something you changed that is causing this problem or (2) a bug which should be reported to TNG.

In order to determine whether this is a bug you would need to make sure you have no mods installed or at a minimum no mods that touch the Admin User screens.