TNG Community

People link to various family trees

Renze

I have several family trees on my website. Is it possible to link a name from "family tree A" to a person from "Family tree B"?

Hello !

I haven't understood yet how multiple trees work on a TNG site. I haven't used them yet.

I have a question about the village website.

At the beginning, I had intended to enter in the base only persons connected to the village plus or minus 2 generations.

But when I hold a line, it is very tempting not to follow it as far as I can.

Moreover, several villagers gave me a thick file of their own genealogical researches and it seems unfair not to include them on the site, since they will be able to show to their family members the result of years of searches. Some brought to me 450 linked names, other 200, or 250 ...

But the main part of their trees stand outside the village and is no more relevant to the original aim of the site : the village.

Would an organization in trees + same_person_link could help me maintain relevance for the core of the base and and allow these friendly researchers to present their great family to the world ?

16 minutes ago, Katryne said:

But the main part of their trees stand outside the village and is no more relevant to the original aim of the site : the village.

Would an organization in trees + same_person_link could help me maintain relevance for the core of the base and and allow these friendly researchers to present their great family to the world ?

Katryne,

The short answer is yes.  A more extended answer is that my Same Person Link mod which I developed in TNG v9 with extensive help from several other TNG Users allows you to link

• persons in a different tree on the same TNG site - in this case the reciprocal link will be automatically displayed when viewing the same person in the other tree
  • persons to the same person on a different TNG web site
  • persons to a different non-TNG web site

External site links are not restricted to TNG sites only but can be created to any other web site that contains information on the person

I have offered this code to Darrin on several TNG upgrade occasions.  Maybe if the TNG users who use this mod requested that Darrin added the capability to TNG, he would.

Many many thanks Ken. It seems now that I have a mountain of work ahead of me. I can do it. Certainly. For I must reorganize the whole site, since it is already built on the basis of a only tree. I will work on the test site.

Katryne,

If the persons who provided the other trees have any of the information in a genealogy program, the easiest thing would be to import their trees and then link the person from the village web site to the same person in the other tree.  As I noted, you can also link to another web site, so if any of them have a genealogy web site elsewhere you could link to that site.

The following shows links between 2 trees on my site

The following shows a link from my tree to a cousin's site

Well, the problem is that I have already included all the data they gave me. Well nearly all. Only one of them gave me a gedcom.

The other, things like that , which was made around 1900.

arbre1.jpg

Well, I installed Same-person-link on my test site.

I created a second tree about Odile' ascendency.

In the main tree, I exported a gedcom with Odile's ancestors.

I imported this gedcom to Odile's tree.

I edited Odile's page on the main tree and created a link towards the Odile in the secondary tree. So good so far. But ...

I am wondering : the 2 Odiles, one in each tree, bear the same ID, because of my method of importing, I believe.

I am not sure the data base will be happy when discovering that 2 persons have the same ID , even in different trees? If this is a problem what should I do ? Change my export/import method ? In which way ?

Subsidiary question : I am not sure that there is an easy way to delete an entire part of a tree at once ? This for cleaning the main tree, once the secondary trees are built and peopled. I think I read a post about it this week.

19 minutes ago, Katryne said:

I am not sure the data base will be happy when discovering that 2 persons have the same ID , even in different trees? If this is a problem what should I do ? Change my export/import method ? In which way ?

Katryne,

This should not be a problem in TNG, since a person is identified by both PersonID and TreeID.  I have encountered problems with some mods initially where the mod developer had not allowing for multiple trees, but suspect most of those issues have been fixed.

I know nothing about deleting an entire part of a tree in TNG, since I import all my data.

• 1 year later...

Wessel,

The Same Person Link mod only provides a link from the getperson.php page to another tree on the same site, to another site tree or simply to another external site.

It does not attempt to do anything with media.  You will need to create a default photo in each tree.