TNG Community
mkoche

Surname Spellings - want to test?

mkoche

I have wanted to know alternative spellings for names on my lines. As surnames evolve, it becomes harder to keep track of them.  I created this little mod to make an inobtrusive display of all the alternative spellings of a surname along a line. It will also display complete name changes of males or of the surname altogether - partly due to history and partly how we record names. I would love to know if it returns useful results on other installations.  On mine it is, acceptable. But I can only guess at my own problem issues much less anyone else's.

I would prefer if people thought this is magic ... but here is how it works. It starts by getting the last paternal ancestor of an individual. So, if the world really worked this way, the last person on the line with the same surname. It then collects and compares ALL the male surnames of that person's descendants.  It is limited at 50 generations of descendants, I have only found an unbroken male line so far with about 25 generations... and it did not seem to impact the speed of loading too much.

Here is what it looks like when a surname has variant spellings:

image.png

A little plus sign appears next to the individual's name - at the end.

(I am doing this without putting any code in this crowded area, so this should cut down on potential conflicts.)

If you click on the plus sign you then get something like this ....

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f616731acf049aafimage.png

These are all the variant spellings of last names on this person's line. (note if he was adopted at some point..it should still pick up the name, as long as his genetic father is unknown, but if his genetic father is known AND his named changed to his adopted name, the genetic name (say Smith) would then show on the list. So it is a little more than a spelling variant mod, it tracks spelling AND name changes for a name from the time of its first occurrence.

Of course, if there are no variants, no + will show.  There are lots of reasons why it might miss variants, usually related to breaks in the male line.

Finally, it seems, well, almost too good at picking up enormous amounts of spelling differences -- This one is enough to, perhaps, scare you off...

image.png

(This would be a little better if I deleted both versions of the name spelling in the record...but the forward slash needs special treatment here and I haven't done in yet)

That reflects a large family with a French name that nobody in English speaking territory knew what to do with.

Hope some folks will be interested in giving it a try. It all depends on how clean your surname data is (or how similar it is in its dirtiness to my own). Hope to hear some glimmers of success.

Here t's:

surname spellings.zip

(2nd post with small correction to some double names... I still have to figure out how to restore lower case surnames and deleted some duplicated names)

image.png

Katryne

Thanks Scott. It's working just as intented. Look at this one  https://genealogie.revestou.fr/getperson.php?personID=I1911&tree=revesto

They change the name just at the moment of the French Revolution, passing the name from de Rhoudille to Deroudille, so that nobody knows they were from noble ancestry and they can keep their heads on their shoulders.

Some changes are still a little mysterious  : https://genealogie.revestou.fr/getperson.php?personID=I2109&tree=revesto#

Either the new name came from a wife who owned some lands or the man was made a noble by his lord or the king and given the name of his land. French surnames in nobility generally came from the land where the man was lord. Your new mod will make us curious and encourage us to investigate the origin of surnames.

Brett
56 minutes ago, Katryne said:

Thanks Scott. It's working just as intented.

Katryne and Scott

I notice on Katryne's site, the + sign to expand has the hyperlink underline but Scott's example above does not.

Katryne

Brett, I think it should depend on the css for the links in the theme. We use different themes.

mkoche
16 minutes ago, Brett said:

I notice on Katryne's site, the + sign to expand has the hyperlink underline but Scott's example above does not. 

That is because I have the hyperlinks formatted that way on my site. I did very little formatting on this one. I recently combined five of my mods that show different things and I think this one might just go as an option in there.  But the manipulation of text is a little aggravating here.  I am just posting a slightly updated one above that corrects a problem with some two word names.

I would never have guessed about the names on your site Katryne. Spelling. What evolutionary twist of fate brought us here?

Katryne

That's how onomastic makes genealogy meet History. Owing to you, Scott, in TNG.

Ken Roy

A very interesting mod in deed, it caused me to question where Boucher came from, and Scott to send me a special version to finally figure out that Augustin Roy and Jeanne Boucher de Montbrun had a child out of wedlock a couple of years before they married who carried the name Lazare Boucher and later became Augustin Roy, for whom I had maintained the original name in my database but had forgotten about. 

Edited to delete the double image atttachment. 

surname_spellings.png

surname_spellings.png