TNG Community
Alan H

Chat mod or chat software

manofmull

Ken

I had uninstalled the mod from Alan's site yesterday.

The Usercomments mod is on MY site not Alan's. It's a beta version of the Comments mod

M

manofmull

Alan

When you are with Simply, let us know how you get on with trying the mod again.

Fingers crossed it will work.

M

Alan H

Yesterday with the help of Simply Hosting support, I have a new 12.0 TNG installation with a restore of my previous database. Everything was done by SH support.  They were great.  Now am upgraded to PHP 7.2.7.  I ftp'ed the Comments folder to 'mods'.  Then I clicked Install in the mod utility and  response was 'Installed  (options)  Requires Database Updates (in blue letters).  So I clicked on the button under the label 'For the First Time Install'  'Create Comments Database Tables'

Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 7.41.42 AM.jpg

I think this is the same problem I had before.  Comments are still not working.  I went to Setup/Diagnostics and all are green but the PHP says 5.6.40.  I thought it would be 7.2.7  

Alan

manofmull

Alan

You can change the PHP version in your Control Panel (CP) = see what version it gives there.

You could let Simply know about the "database requires update" problem, they might be able to help.

Hopefully someone in the forum can chip in about this: I don't know if it's related only to this mod or not.

I would suggest looking through the list of mods, choose another one to instal and see if it works

M

manofmull

Alan

Is there anything in Admin relating to Show 'Important tasks' messages: ?

M

Alan H

I don't see any messages anywhere.  But in the mod manager, the 'Requires Database Updates' is still there in blue letters.

I will wait until this afternoon to contact SH support as I must leave soon. 

Ken Roy
1 hour ago, Alan H said:

Yesterday with the help of Simply Hosting support, I have a new 12.0 TNG installation with a restore of my previous database. Everything was done by SH support.  They were great.  Now am upgraded to PHP 7.2.7.  I ftp'ed the Comments folder to 'mods'.  Then I clicked Install in the mod utility and  response was 'Installed  (options)  Requires Database Updates (in blue letters).  So I clicked on the button under the label 'For the First Time Install'  'Create Comments Database Tables'

Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 7.41.42 AM.jpg

I think this is the same problem I had before.  Comments are still not working.  I went to Setup/Diagnostics and all are green but the PHP says 5.6.40.  I thought it would be 7.2.7  

Alan

If there is a problem in a mod, moving hosting service and changing PHP versions will normally not resolve this issue.

Someone who is running the Comments mod on TNG v12 may need o help.  I do not run that mod and it looks like Michael is running a previous beta version on a TNG v11 environment.

You could try running the shown query in phpMyAdmin and report what error is being returned.  I am not a database espert so cannot tell you whether multiple primary key is allowed

Alan H

After much support from SimplyHosting, the Comments mod is installed but still not working properly.  Strangely, only dead people have the Comments section on the left side of their individual pages and most are able to post comments.  Living people do not have the Comments section at all.

Comments are shown in the 'Find/Comments' tab but logging out and then back in I expected to see the following but do not see it.

Screen Shot 2019-07-26 at 3.46.25 PM.jpg

Alan

Ken Roy

Alan,

Reading the documentation for the Comments mod on the TNG WIki it specifically says

An event Comments is added to

getperson.php (if not living or private)
    familygroup.php (if not living or private)
    placesearch.php
    showmedia.php (if not living or private)

Sounds to me like it is working as designed.  It is NOT social media software

manofmull

Alan

It would be good to know what the database upgrade problem was, and how Simply fixed it for you.

Glad it's working at last.

M

manofmull

Alan

I forgot to ask you about the mod options

Posted comments are public.
Enter false for logged-in reading only.
Enter true for public reading.
Do do not use quotes or parentheses.
Defauts to (false)

My own is set to false.

As Ken pointed out, the mod is now working as it should

Michael

Alan H

What good is it for dead people to post comments?  I want ONLY living and logged in people to add comments.

But I don't see where to change these options.  

Alan

Alan H

As for what Simply Hosting support did to the DB...

Alan,

We found some mod-security rules that were being triggered by the mod, which we have whitelisted. I also updated the database table collation to match your other tables (changed to utf8_general_ci), and reinstalled the mod

Regards,
Matt
SimplyHosting.net

manofmull

Alan

That is NOT what happens!. You need to read how the mod works.

Dead people cannot do anything, honest!

What the mod does is to allow visitors to post comments about dead people. You are not allowed to comment about anyone living.

Michael

manofmull

Alan

I know exactly what Matt referred to in his fix. I had a similar problem with the same mod security

The mod defaults to false (as I have mine), meaning that only logged in people can post comments (about dead people).

There is a simple workaround for living people that I have on my own site.

Trust me, the mod is working and anyone logged in can post comments.

M

Alan H

M

Well, I am very disappointed then if that is the way it works.  Here is my first post:

I would like to add a mod with the ability for the cousins on my family site to be able to post comments or stories or photos for others to see.  And to interact with others like a chat room.  Something very similar to Facebook Messenger but not linked to FaceBook.  I would guess there would be a separate database to hold the conversations indefinetly.  Does anyone have a solution for this?  Thanks.

Is there a way to reverse it so only Living and Logged in people can make comments?

Alan

manofmull

Alan

See my reply, that's exactly how it works. i.e. living members making comments about dead people and they have to be logged in to make comments.

M

Alan H

Like I said.... I am disappointed. It isn't what I was asking for.

boonie67

Alan,

There is also the Commentics version for comments by Roger Mitchell and Michael Stewart which I have upgrade to work in TNG v12.1

Attached are two screenshots on from admin > Edit Options, the other is persons page. Works great on my site have been using it since it they added addon and have been very satisfied, however do not know if this is what you are looking for, if so pm me and I will send you the updated version. As Michael stated there is also a TNG Forum is this is what you prefer that Erik had created.

Randal

commentics-admin.JPG

comments-example.JPG

manofmull

Randal

I didn't mention Commentics to Alan as that (to me) is more complicated than Erik's easy-to-use Comments.

I did have Commentics installed myself but I'm more than happy with Erik's mod (so are my members).

I don't think either one is what Alan was looking for, hence my Forum suggestion.

M

Ken Roy

If I interpret Alan's request correctly, he wants a Facebook type Messenger hooked into TNG where living cousins can chat with each other.  Not likely to happen.  TNG is not a social media application.  Especially, when I have seen entries of TNG Administrators deleting all Living people out of the database because of the FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt) factor of GDPR

manofmull

Ken

I panicked with the GDPR law and deleted all living persons from my website.

For new registrants I no longer ask for telephone numbers or addresses (tweaked regform).

I've messaged you re part of your post

M

Ken Roy

M,

I purposely did not indicate any names in regards information on Living in a TNG database even thought not viewable by visitors and only to logged in users if the privilege is allowed with tree/branch restriction, because several TNG admins took that course of action