TNG Community

TNG 12 and Joomla 3.9

Michael L Thomas

Michael L Thomas

I do not know if this is a dead subject but would love to use Joomla with TNG.  With Joomla, I also use Community Builder because I also have it as a social gathering for family members to chat and communicate with each other.  I know that I can add a link from TNG to my Joomla/community builder site and vice versa.  Doing that is not the optimal way.  If they are integrated I can grant access to the TNG portion thru Joomla Privileges.

To me, I believe that a family is also a social group and that is not what TNG is meant to be.  It is what Joomla/Community Builder is GREAT at.

Any helpers out there?

Michael

Oh man my heart just pitter-pattered!

As an FYI though this is a very old topic. There used to be a Joomla bridge for TNG but I think it stopped working several major versions ago and it was never a complete integration. Darren updated the JavaScript library so will be compatible with the Joomla‘s but the people who made the original bridge are no longer interested. 

Also Joomla 4 is right around the corner and it drops support for any version of PHP below 7.1 I believe  as well as additional restrictions with regard to the version of MySQL needed. I don’t know that that’s necessarily a problem but it’s something that has to be at least known going in. 

Michael L Thomas

Thank you, any suggestions

The only one that anyone ever came up with that was the least bit reliable was to pay a developer to create and maintain one. 

Nobody jumped at that option.

Michael L Thomas

Can't Afford That

• 4 months later...

Michael, how has community builder evolved compared to say.......5 years ago? I looked at it for one of my sites and ended up paying for Jomsocial which at the time was a much superior and more polished solution.

Is community builder ready for prime time? Have you ever compared it to other solutions?

• 10 months later...
On 7/17/2019 at 9:55 AM, Michael L Thomas said:

With Joomla, I also use Community Builder because I also have it as a social gathering for family members to chat and communicate with each other.

Hi Michael. Sorry to beat an old horse, but I'm still interested in your thoughts on Community Builder. Are you still using it?

• 1 year later...
Michael L Thomas

Yes, I still use it, sorry but I have not been here in a long time.  I have not found out how to integrate the two.  Since it has been so long, have you been working with both? 

On 7/14/2022 at 1:07 AM, Michael L Thomas said:

Yes, I still use it, sorry but I have not been here in a long time.  I have not found out how to integrate the two.  Since it has been so long, have you been working with both? 

Nobody has been here in a long time......:(

When you say "integrate the two" do you mean TNG with Community Builder or TNG with Joomla? If you mean with Joomla we are now on V4 and V5 is already in the pipeline. I'm afraid the only practical way TNG will integrate is if @Darrin Lythgoe can be convinced to make it a Joomla component somehow. I know it can be integrated with WordPress at least with some versions of both, but WordPress is a disaster, IME.

https://docs.joomla.org/J4.x:Developing_an_MVC_Component
https://www.joomlacomponentbuilder.com/
https://www.component-creator.com/en/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wgyo3LxtB5Q

There are tons of options. I would try these things, but I am not a coder at all. I don't know how practical it would be for anyone but Darrin to at least prototype something like this. If someone that at least understands code cares to try it, that would be awesome!

As someone who has used Joomla since before it was Joomla (aka Mambo) and continues to use it (but not with TNG) I think your chances are slim.

And note that Darrin didn’t code the WordPress integration…so you’re unlikely to get any coding done for Joomla integration I’d say…there just aren’t the number of users needing it for anyone to pick it up and maintain an integration.

If you’re after integration with a CMS, then you’d probably have to consider WordPress, sorry.

• 11 months later...
Steve Hess
On 7/15/2022 at 11:26 PM, Philip Roy said:

As someone who has used Joomla since before it was Joomla (aka Mambo) and continues to use it (but not with TNG) I think your chances are slim.

Agreed. Can't hurt to hope though......;)

And note that Darrin didn’t code the WordPress integration…so you’re unlikely to get any coding done for Joomla integration I’d say…there just aren’t the number of users needing it for anyone to pick it up and maintain an integration.

I know he didn't do that, but he did update the js library a few years ago so it WOULD be compatible at least!

If you’re after integration with a CMS, then you’d probably have to consider WordPress, sorry.

Honestly, I have tried it a few times and found it so inconsistent I don't know how people use it and why it's so popular! Any good tutorials you can suggest?

YMMV, of course!

Philip Roy

I’ve never used Wordpress so can’t help. I was just saying that it’s the CMS that has people actively using an integration method here on the forums.