TNG Community
MichelleD

Import GEDCOM appears to hang

MichelleD

I'm new to TNG and have a number of questions and am going to separate them into a couple of threads rather than confuse things with unrelated questions all in one thread.

I have TNG in a subfolder of my root. I got it working. Everything seemed good. I plan to manage my files on my desktop using the latest version of FTM. So, I exported my GEDCOM, converted it using the FTM to TNG GEDCOM converter and then imported. I was really pleased with how seamlessly this seemed to work. 

Then I integrated with Wordpress using the Kloosterman method. http://www.amongourancestors.com

Because I am creating a lot of links to TNG records and reports in my blog, I figured before I got too far with my blog I should update and reimport my GEDCOM and make sure the links all still work.  I checked the option to "Replace all current data." This is the correct way to do this, right? I would anticipate needing to update my TNG database this way about 2x month. 

Well, when I try to import the updated GEDCOM, TNG just hangs forever on the "uploading" screen. It appears to be doing absolutely nothing. So then I tried uploading the GEDCOM to my server using FTP first and then selecting it for import into TNG and I had the same problem. 

I finally "stopped" the process. But then I look at my admin log and I see the import has actually happened as it should. 

Is there a way to fix this? And if there isn't, maybe I shouldn't worry about it since the import seems to be happening even when it doesn't appear to be?

bhemph

What version of TNG are you using?  What version of PHP?  I thought that I had seen messages about the import seeming to hang and that a fix had been implemented.

MichelleD

TNG 12.1 and PHP 5.6.40

MichelleD

Okay, I increased to 7.2. But it is still happening. I'm happy the GEDCOM is updating anyhow, but would still love to solve this. 

manofmull

Michelle

Have a look at this post https://tng.community/index.php?/forums/topic/6702-gedcom-import-hang-up/

< remove the path and TNG will find the correct entry and put it in after you do a save. >

< Just checked Genealogy URL and it did need changing! >  (Setup >> Configuration >> General Settings >> Site Design and Definition >> Genealogy URL:)

You might have a similar problem

M

PapaTango

Michelle, did you ever resolve this issue?  I have had it since April of this year, and the behavior is exactly the same.  Changing to 'Classic Mode' was not helpful either.

I have ruled out the problem as a function of apache/php settings (I have a VPS host), browser issues (4 different browsers tried), so on and so forth.  No joy.  Discussions periodically emerge on the ListServ group.  No solutions forthcoming.  Export GEDCOM does the same thing--no display results, no download link on completion--yet a file in the designated GEDCOM folder of the install.

fluffy82

I have this all the time and got used to it.

I just upload the tree and let it work for 30 to 60 minutes. Then I click "stop import", wait 5 minutes, and then click on "resume import". It then goes to the import successful message.

My biggest problem is the sort spouses and sort children. I get a time out message all the time. I need to perform it about 4-5 times for the spouses before it finishes, about 20x for the children (!). This makes uploading my tree extremely slow, it usually takes a whole afternoon and most of the evening. That's why I only do it once every three months or so.

PapaTango

Tom, it only takes my setup a few seconds to actually complete the process, but the expected dialog screens never complete.  The attached screenshot never changes--and resume does not affect it.  With only about 600 persons in the larger tree, there seems to be no issue in transporting all valid record fields--unlike the partial uploads described recently in the TNG ListServ thread.

Early on I ruled out possible header/footer concerns with bundling--which have caused warnings and CSS issues in the TNG section of the bundle.  No issues were found.  The PHP error log on my VPS results in about a dozen warnings when attempting an import or export operation:

[05-Oct-2019 19:12:43 UTC] PHP Warning:  Use of undefined constant broadnote - assumed 'broadnote' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/myrootname/public_html/journeys/genealogy/genlib.php on line 1022

Have you seen this in your attempts?  This should not be a 'showstopper', but no comment has been forthcoming--nor to date has anyone posted the results of their error logs on attempts.  This seems to be something that affects a small number of us.  In the past, while attempting to troubleshoot the issue, all of my mods were deactivated.  One of these days I will do a clean install of TNG in an unused testing domain--and see what happens.  Perhaps upgrading to v12.2 will cure it, but aside from this nothing in the ~30 mods I use are causing misbehaviors.

I don't want to 'fix' anything until all the bugs are worked out with the new release and the mods...  😎

gedcom upload issue.png

Ken Roy
1 hour ago, fluffy82 said:

My biggest problem is the sort spouses and sort children. I get a time out message all the time.

Tom.

If you are importing data, you should not have to sort spouses and sort childred.  TNG will preserve the order they are in the GEDCOM.

If they are out of order, in your genealogy database you are importing from, you should sort them in that software package.

Ken Roy
42 minutes ago, PapaTango said:

I don't want to 'fix' anything until all the bugs are worked out with the new release and the mods.

broadnote is not in the TNG distributed genlib.php for TNG 12.2  Maybe it is in a mod that you are using. 

PapaTango

Ken, I will look and see which mods (30+) may have written to genlib.php.  Tomorrow I will add the apostrophes to define, and see what happens. I have not upgraded to v12.2 yet.  Not so worried about that--but possible issues with mods that could have an issue.  We have seen a couple so far--but the developers and support community has been quick to post fixes and updates.  I learned almost 30 years ago not to jump on the upgrade train until about 6 months past gold had transpired...  😊  The new rubric of 'software as a service' is attempting to thwart me in that goal!

Ken Roy

Well broadnote was not in the 160 mods in my mods folder, but I found it in the Broad Search mod that I no longer use because it chews up to much MySQL execution time on an open site.  I went back to using the Married Name Search mod

fluffy82
10 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Tom.

If you are importing data, you should not have to sort spouses and sort childred.  TNG will preserve the order they are in the GEDCOM.

If they are out of order, in your genealogy database you are importing from, you should sort them in that software package.

Yeah, I dont know what's happening there. In my genealogy program they are sorted, but when I import into TNG they get scrambled. While it shouldn't actually matter what order they're in in the gedcom or database. I just need them to display ordered by ascending birthdate.

PapaTango
22 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Well broadnote was not in the 160 mods in my mods folder, but I found it in the Broad Search mod that I no longer use because it chews up to much MySQL execution time on an open site.  I went back to using the Married Name Search mod

Thanks Ken.  Your search led me to remove Broad Search mod--and that indeed eliminated the warnings.  Given that and the PHP edits required to 'fix' the issue; the original GEDCOM matter; and a couple of other things of concern, I decided early this morning to join the 'cool kids' and stand up WAMP on Win10.  That was an adventure in itself!  I now have v12.1 and v12.2 configured and running as testbeds--having added Apache/PHP/MariaDB versions to match my live site VPS configuration.  I have since rectified the issues with the Broad Search mod and loaded to a separate live TNG only install on the VPS.  That is what led me to investigate SQL overhead--ultimately finding a number of pressing issues (some non-related to my genealogy site) while reviewing processes via logs, reports and munin.  My head is about to explode.  I am done for the day...  ☠️

Tomorrow, I will see if the GEDCOM problem exists locally--load all of the mods one by one to see if that causes a replication.  If not, back to crawling about the dark underbelly of my VPS!