TNG Community

Additional "Her Side" tab

Jude

I would like to add an additional "Her Side" tab to accompany the existing His Side and Her Side tabs.   I'd appreciate help achieving this goal please or being pointed in the right direction for instructions. 

Thanks Ken,  I'm not a programmer.   This is all very new to me and I'm trying to learn. From the TNG main website, viewing many of the example websites using the program, I noticed at least two people had added an additional tab.    I spent a lot of time yesterday in the wiki and reading various threads in the forum as a learning experience.  I searched looking to see if my question had been asked before and only came up with Pops57's thread.  However when I read his original question I understood Pops57 didn't want the feature linked as the original two tabs are and wanted to use it for something different.     

I do want the additional tab to work just like the other two to show a second wife.  I thought I was being polite by starting a new thread and not highjacking Pops' thread with a different request. 

Jude,

Can you provide a URL to the 2 sites you are referring to?

Whether one uses the His Side and Her Side links to provide links to a father's and mother's site or like Pops57 wanted to do to show 3 different brothers could be done using the Template Settings with a modification to the code and the database.  In TNG v11 and before it required modification to the TNG Template Settings code and the templateconfig.php to add new Template Settings variables.  It is more complicated now that the template setting variables are in a database table. 

This is why I answered the way I did this morning.  There is another thread where some one apparently just blanked out the his side and her side variables in the Template Settings and added new links

Scott_Pryer

Jude,

Here is what another user was able to do with his TNG 12.1 template 9.     These three button/link/tabs can have any label and link to a person or pedigree.     www.ellisofelkpark.com

Is this what you are wanting to do?

What TNG version are you using?

What template number are you using?

Scott,

25 minutes ago, Scott_Pryer said:

Here is what another user was able to do with his TNG 12.1 template 9.     These three button/link/tabs can have any label and link to a person or pedigree.     www.ellisofelkpark.com

Did you modify the TNG Template Setting code for this that could be publish as a mod for other users or are these hard coded changes to each user's site.

My replies have been more with providing a mod to the TNG code that could be adapted be reused similar to what I had had done in Template 4 to add 2 additional features in a previous TNG version.   https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Understanding_Template_Settings_-_TNG_V9

Some of the information was carried forward to https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Creating_a_new_Template_-_TNG_V12 but I never fully tested the procedure

Scott_Pryer

I use a personal mod, but it requires some basic text editor work to customize the label text, tree and individual identifier.

I also like that this mod can be changed to point to individuals page or pedigree, where the out of the box template for his/hers points to the pedigree.

With this ability it could make sense in some cases not to use the template his/hers functions, but to add the button/links (as many as will fit) with this mod.

On our site we use the mode to add two links, guestbook and to our website launch announcement.

If I were a little more experienced with using mod parameters, any editing would not be necessary.

Scott,

Thanks for sharing your code with me, but why did you post it to my profile, instead of sending it as a Message? 

Scott_Pryer

Ken,

You had asked for details on how I made the code change.  Before posting on the forum I wanted you to see how I made the code change.

Regarding how I added the button/links to our website.....

Attached is a personal mod to affect the his/hers button/links.  Also attached are my notes that show how to edit the mod (prior to installing) to change the label, tree and person ID.

As stated in my previous post, our site uses these button/links for other than the his/hers functions.  So, keep in mind that with some minor editing it is possible to add your own custom links in a great page location.

Hope this is helpful to others.

Add 3rd link-label to header.cfg

Add MOM DAD OTHER link .docx

My Question  Scott was why did you post it to my Profile?  As far as I know a Profile post is viewable by everyone.  At least I think so because I replied to such a post before that shows when viewing Activity.

Actually, I am not sure how you did the post, but I think that capability should be disabled in the forum.  Other users should not be able to post to other peoples profiles

16 hours ago, Ken Roy said:

Jude,

Can you provide a URL to the 2 sites you are referring to?

Whether one uses the His Side and Her Side links to provide links to a father's and mother's site or like Pops57 wanted to do to show 3 different brothers could be done using the Template Settings with a modification to the code and the database.  In TNG v11 and before it required modification to the TNG Template Settings code and the templateconfig.php to add new Template Settings variables.  It is more complicated now that the template setting variables are in a database table. 

This is why I answered the way I did this morning.  There is another thread where some one apparently just blanked out the his side and her side variables in the Template Settings and added new links

Ken, this is one site that I can recall off the top of my head.  I'd have to go searching for the other example.  The one that Scott shows below is exactly what I'm wanting. 
https://www.wheeler-roots.org/
With multiple marriages I wouldn't have thought this would have been such a rare feature to request.  If I started with the following generation I'd want an additional tab as well.  If I started the generation before, with my 2nd gt. grandparents, my 2nd gt. grandfather was married twice, and my 2nd gt. grandmother was married three times.  I'd be wanting three additional tabs.  Through recent DNA matches I'm very fortunate to have contact with new-to-me cousins from each of those five marriages.  For simplicity, I decided to have my great grandparents as my featured generation as they were my immigrating generation and most cousins I'm in contact with relate to that family and their ten children between two marriages.

15 hours ago, Scott_Pryer said:

Jude,

Is this what you are wanting to do?

What TNG version are you using?

What template number are you using?

Hi Scott

Thanks for your repsonse.  
Your example is exactly what I'm looking for.  
I'm using TNG v.12.0.1 and template 16.

In the past 48 hours I've switched templates from #10 to 16.   My original request was for a button, however  template 16 appears to only be a link. 

2 hours ago, Scott_Pryer said:

Ken,

You had asked for details on how I made the code change.  Before posting on the forum I wanted you to see how I made the code change.

Regarding how I added the button/links to our website.....

Attached is a personal mod to affect the his/hers button/links.  Also attached are my notes that show how to edit the mod (prior to installing) to change the label, tree and person ID.

As stated in my previous post, our site uses these button/links for other than the his/hers functions.  So, keep in mind that with some minor editing it is possible to add your own custom links in a great page location.

Hope this is helpful to others.

Add 3rd link-label to header.cfg

Add MOM DAD OTHER link .docx

Thank you Scott.  I'll give it a try. 

Scott_Pryer

Ken,

I intended to send you a private message but apparently clicked on your profile icon and assumed it to be a private message. 

Jude- if you intend to use the mod I attached to the earlier post  keep in mind it was made for template 9.  So at a minimum you need to edit the path to the index.php and topmenu.php to point to your applicable template folder.  With that done pay close attention in the mod manager to confirm there are not errors or messages indicating it will not install correctly.