TNG Community
Stefanhag

Moving TNG from subfolder to root?

Stefanhag

Hi,

When I first installed TNG on my host, I decided to make a subfolder and install TNG. I found that was not a good idea and I now want to move it so I have the "root" as the startfolder.

Is it possible to do that by moving all files and subfolders to the root or is that causing problems? Would it be easier to just delete the installation and reinstall it?

//Stefan

Ken Roy

Stefan

What is your issue with running TNG in a subfolder?  I have always run TNG in a subfolder on my site, since it contains other information, like cemetery and veteran database searches

Stefanhag

Hey Ken,

The problem isn't about TNG it self.

I want someone who only type in the domain name to land on the startpage and tried to get a redirection done but it doesn't always seem to work.
In some cases they end up on an empty page. That's why I consider to move the files but maybe there are better ideas?

I have litle to no knowledge of php. Only been working with html-coding but that was like 15 years ago when you used programs like Dreamweaver so I am a litle lost.

//Stefan

Ken Roy

Stefan,

Moving your TNG site to the web root folder is possible.  A couple of changes will be required:

* changing your root path ($rootpath in config.php) - if you set the value to "" and TNG will fill it in the first time you go to Admin > Setup > General Settings  You just need to save it

* changing your config path if you moved your config files to a different location (subroot.php) - copy the distributed file

On my hosting service, the cPanel File Manager provides the capability to specify Move after selecting files / folders.  If that is not available on your hosting service a different strategy will be required

As long as media links are relative in the database you should be OK

Best regards in moving your site

Stefanhag

Ken,

Thanks for your replies. After giving it a second thought, I think I keep as it is. Like you, I might want to add other topics on the site in the future.

I simple index.html with a redirection will do for now. 

//Stefan