TNG Community

GEDcom upload

BobD

I uploaded a revised GEDcom file to my online Family Tree Site and now a lot of the photos are attached to the wrong people.  What happened and how can I fix this without going to each individual and fixing.

This is usually due to you deleting people from your primary family tree program and the image is still linked to them in TNG.

In short, a family tree is simply a data base and every person in your family tree has a unique number, sometimes called a RIN, assigned to them. When you delete people from your primary family tree program, then export your tree to a gedcom, the process of exporting often fills in those deleted numbers with the newest numbers so there are no gaps in the RIN numbers. That said, in TNG, the pictures are linked to those unique numbers which are not updated when you import a new gedcom so the pictures will be linked to whoever now has that unique number.

I rarely delete people these days but when i do, i always check a person 1st to make sure i have no media attached to them, if i do, i make a note of it so i can re link the pictures in TNG after my next upload because i maintain images in TNG, i do not include image links in the gedcom.

I also use a program called FamilyInsight, which works with a number of different genealogy programs, and allows me to do a couple different things, one of which is to fill in the missing RIN's before exporting to a gedcom. The company that sold this program was Ohana Software but they went out of business but the program was being offered to the public, with a free registration number, for some time. A google search might find it out there on the web... Found it here... https://ohanasoftware.wixsite.com/familyinsight