TNG Community
Pops57

Modify "His/Her side" section

Pops57

Hi, brand new user here. I have several questions but I'll start with; How can I modify the "his/her side" section? I'd like to add a third or fourth section but not a url link as exists in some of the templates, but rather another "his/her side" link as it appears in the template settings section now. In other words, rather than a "his/her" link (two options), I want three brothers to link to - three options. I'm currently trying to modify Template 9.

-Mike

Scott_Pryer

I also use template 9 and have been able to add some specific buttons/links in place of the his/her section.

To edit the his/her you can look at admin/setup/template settings/template settings tab.

By adding text to the applicable textboxs you can begin using the his/her (Dad/Mom) link.

If you look at our site you can see I do not have his/hers but other button/links that were added by editing index.php and topmenu.php.

Pops57

Thank you for the reply Scott. I do like your site - very impressive!

I have not yet learned enough about editing php and css files to be comfortable with it. I'll continue to learn how to do that as I progress.

What I'm hoping to do right now though may or may not need a lot of php editing. I know I can change the labels, id's, etc. in the admin setup section. If i could just add one more of those "His Side" sections, and Person ID fields, I could do what I'm after - making those links to three brothers( i.e. three links) in the tree rather than a His & Hers side (i.e two links). I'm sure that involves some degree of editing but I figure someone else has done that along the way???

Thanks again,

Mike

Scott_Pryer

Mike,

When you are to the point of making the change I can help you.

A few questions:

What version of TNG are you using?

How is your site hosted?

Have you installed any MOD's yet?

Have you used an FTP software like FileZilla?

Pops57

I'm ready, although I have to leave in about 30 minutes. :)

I'm using version TNG 12.1

My site is hosted by Simply Hosting LLC.

I have installed a couple of MODS; endofline and Census Plus International.

I am using Filezilla, though only as of yesterday so still learning...

Helmut Haufler-Knoepfle

High, I`m interested in doing the same for my 3 kids.

Somebody knows the answer yet?

Greetings

Ken Roy

This will require that someone modify the TNG code for template files and the tng_templates table in the database, which now contains the Template variables since TNG v12.

This change would have been a lot easier prior to TNG v12

Helmut Haufler-Knoepfle

High Roy, i expected it easier. Is that still true if I doen`t want to make changes via the template setup?

Just add another part in the template index.php

Ken Roy

Helmut,

Anything is possible.  It all depends whether you can do the programming changes yourself or whether you expect someone else to develop a mod.

I currently do not have the time to document how to modify the templates to add new features like I did for versions prior to TNG v12.

By the way, my name is Ken.  Roy is my last name or surname like the French word for king in the 1600s which was spelled roy and not today's roi

Scott_Pryer

Helmut,

What TNG version and Template are you wanting to add the third link to?

Helmut Haufler-Knoepfle

High Scott

TNG Version 12 and template 9

Pops57

Yes. Thanks to Scott_Pryer. He developed some code modifications that work wonderfully.

Scott may respond to you but if not, let me know and I think I can share the instructions and modifications with you.

Mike

Scott_Pryer

Kristina,

Can you provide your TNG version and template number?