TNG Community
abobymous

Unable to link media - undefined problem while creating link

abobymous

Hello all.  I have been troubleshooting this for DAYS and cannot figure it out.  Hope you can help.

After uploading a new media item (headstone image), I go back in and Edit it.  After selecting a person for the link, I see an "undefined" problem and the link is not created.  This occurs while attempting to link the headstone to any person, family, etc.  It should be noted that if I created a completely new person, I can link the existing media to the person.  This problem occurs when I go through the media item and then attach a person to it.  It also occurs if I add a new "Photo" media item and then go in to Edit -> Add Link.  Same behavior:  hit save, no error but link is not created.

Some supporting info:

Dropped database, recreated.  Deleted all files including media.  Completely fresh install of entire TNG v12.0.3 package with cust_text recommended update installed.   Only 1 user and 1 tree.  NO mods.  The gedcom was exported from Ancestry.com and went through GEDCOM Converter mod and some manual deleting of "_APID" level 1 lines in the SOUR records (during a previous install).

I can provide files and access if anyone can assist.

Thank you for your time,

----Bob

link.JPG

Edited by abobymous

manofmull

Bob

In Admin >> Setup >> Configuration >> General Settings >>  Person prefix:

What letter are you using?

The most common is I (eye) for Individual but Ancestry uses P and you cannot mix them

Michael

abobymous

Hello Mike - That's got to be it!  

17 hours ago, manofmull said:

In Admin >> Setup >> Configuration >> General Settings >>  Person prefix:

What letter are you using?

The most common is I (eye) for Individual but Ancestry uses P and you cannot mix them

That's got to be the answer!  :)

I left the Admin param set to "I" as it is the default and most common, as you stated.  I also used RR's Gedcom Converter to change the PersonID offset with the letter "I" but perhaps I'm misinterpreting that option.  The output still has "@P" in it.  My file does indeed differ from the Admin param.

It looks like I can (thankfully) do a search and replace for "@P" to "@I", but that is not safe for repeated updates.  Can you recommend a Person ID mod or an option that would robustly handle these INDI and corresponding changes to align with the Admin param? (prior to inputting)

Thank you for the help.

manofmull

Bob

There is a mod that will work but I can't recommend it.

https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Change_ID_prefix

When I set up TNG a few years back, "I" (eye) was the only choice, but P is clearer.

I used the mod and it worked, BUT it changed placenames beginning with "I" to P : e.g. Island to Psland / Iona to Pona which just doesn't work for me. You could try it if you don't have any/many places starting with "I"

If you want to stick with "I", I'm sure there's a prog to run your Ancestry gedcom through to get a prefix change, then import to TNG.

M

abobymous

Mike, I saw that Change ID Prefix mod and didn't think it was the right option.  :)    After updating the Admin param Person Prefix to "P" the media linking behavior worked correctly.  It was also verified both by linking a media item to a person and the other direction starting in a person and linking to a media item.

How do we get this in front of the Devs as a bug?  Here are  some thoughts:

1. Importing a gedcom where the person (INDI) prefix does not make the Admin param does not indicate in any way that it will fail elsewhere in the system. (e.g. linking media).

2. Using the media linking facility, the user is given the impression that the (bad) person will be linked, then the "undefined" error occurs.  This, IMHO, should be considered a code error.  Not only because it visibly shows "undefined" but also the page allows the user to Save without any messages that link(s) failed.

Is there a bug tracker where we can throw this into?   We can start a different thread or offline convo if you wish.

In the meantime the workaround, well, worked and I'm good to go.  Thanks again.

---Bob

manofmull

Bob

If I were just starting out, P would be my prefix choice.

However, as my database has 85,000 individuals and thousands of links, I can't afford to change and mess up (I have to use "I").

For your other points, maybe someone with gedcom savvy can chip in (I never import using gedcoms, all manual). Anything that you feel is "not right" can be emailed to Darrin as feedback.

M

Scott_Pryer

I import GEDCOM from Brothers Keeper.  The plan is to do it once or twice each year.

Brothers Keeper GEDCOM has a few quirks that I always clean up. For me using a free text editor Notepad++ and some homemade software does the job.

I like the suggestion of a GEDCOM pre-import assessment option.  It would be very helpful to know an import will cause issues, errors, etc. before its too late.

My initial efforts at GEDCOM imports and what I see on this forum from other first time users indicates there is an opportunity.

tngrlkrz

Don't know if this helps, but my experience with 'I' vs. 'P', ….just an FYI.

I import regularly my entire database from Family Historian, where 'I' prefix is used, but not visually an issue there since the ID prefix isn't displayed, just the numeric portion.  On TNG it is (and hard to distinquish from the numeric 1),  so over a year ago I switched to 'P' for TNG only.  I merely use an editor , such as notepad++, and search/replace @I with @P and Save.  In my case modifies 35,000 INDI records.  Takes only a few seconds for 241,000 gedcom lines, 15,000 persons. Next I import replacing ALL in TNG.  Have the TNG admin setting for prefix to 'I' also.  Have never experienced an issue with media links or places getting messed up.

abobymous
On 6/29/2019 at 1:58 PM, Scott_Pryer said:

I import GEDCOM from Brothers Keeper.  The plan is to do it once or twice each year.

I liked using BK, too.  But I was looking for a more collaborative tool and by definition it would have to be online.  So I'm switching to TNG.

The space is rife with opportunity.  For example, what can be done to close the feature gap between FTM and TNG?  Its rhetorical but emblematic of how there is such a patchwork of tools people use.  Another approach would be a "get well" to go after the most common issues/questions.

I wish I had the time to dig into the code and contribute... 😃

abobymous
On 6/29/2019 at 3:16 PM, tngrlkrz said:

I merely use an editor , such as notepad++, and search/replace @I with @P and Save.

Watch out for those @ symbols in notes, comments, etc.   There's likely isn't a problem since your data is so clean. 

TNG could examine the individual and family records in a robust manner to ensure that the prefect's gets changed properly and doesn't conflict with any other text. Or TNG could throw warnings when those prevents is do not match the admin settings. This is especially important for users that import data from other collaborators.

It does make sense to allow "bad prefixes" into the database so that the admin can perform merge activities. So the best approach here may be options in the settings for those admins that want to control or prevent certain prefixes from getting into their database. 

What are your thoughts everyone?