TNG Community

Password entry to access website

Pyrenees Pirate

Pyrenees Pirate

Hello all,

Since I purchased TNG a couple of months ago, it has been a big learning curve to say the least, but now I am nearly where I want to be at Stage 1 of my Family Historian 6 to TNG experience! (Thanks to the members here who have already helped me on some previous queries, without you I wouldn't be typing this new topic).

My website is starting to look like a website and my data has gone through some fine tuning to get to a 'rule off' point.  I may now be at a stage that I am fairly confident to let my family members view the website!

OK to my question...….if I type my website string into the browser and search, my website appears and people can view the details.  I would like to have a password entry into my website, so when I type the website string and search, it asks for a user name and password, before there is any access to the information on my site.  Is this possible? And how do I achieve it?

I have set up different permissions in TNG through the User facility, i.e. Admin for my use, and basic viewing for family members, but I cannot see what use this is if when you type in the website string anybody can view the website?

I hope somebody out there can help me please......

Cheers

PP

Chris Lloyd

Go to your admin section then setup then privacy. You can require logon. You can also add the Public Access Control mod to give you further control as well as other mods such as restrict access to logged on users.

Have a look at this section regarding mods: https://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Mods_for_TNG_v12 

3 hours ago, Pyrenees Pirate said:

I have set up different permissions in TNG through the User facility, i.e. Admin for my use, and basic viewing for family members, but I cannot see what use this is if when you type in the website string anybody can view the website?

You will need to decide whether you want to share your data or locked down your site, in other word whether anonymous visitors can view information on deceased people on your site or whether your site is restricted to only logged in users.

I personally have a semi-open site, where you only need to register and login to view information on living relatives.  To restrict access to living and recently deceased (private) relatives, I restrict the logged in user to only the specific branch of the tree.  My branches are not created ahead of time, but I add new branches when I receive a request for access by a person who is in the tree (or his parents or grandparents are).  I might create the branch starting with the person's grandparent or great-grandparent depending on how wide an access I want to allow.

In the Admin > Setup > General Settings > Privacy setting you can set Show Living Data: to "Depending on user rights"  to restrict access to Living and Private and then in the user record grant the privilege but restricted to a tree/branch combination.

If you do not want anonymous users to download gedcom and create a PDF, then you also need to update your Admin > Tree record to deny that access.  It can then be allowed to certain users in their user record

Pyrenees Pirate

Thank you Chris and Ken for your replies.

I think for starters, I wish to lock down my site to invited users only.  So, when I type the web address in the selection bar it shows the TNG site and immediately asks for a user name and password before any access is given to the search facility.  Perhaps with my e-mail address as an option for the viewer to contact me should they wish to get access. if you could help me set that up I would appreciate it.

I think the semi-open idea is a very good one, but perhaps after I have had some feedback from selected users.

I have played about with the living and private setup.  I am importing my gedcom file from FH6 and have been tidying the most recent generations so they have one or the other of these flags set before they become imported into TNG.  In fact only today, I have found out that TNG makes anybody without a date of birth become 'living', is that correct?

Cheers

PP

Pyrenees Pirate

Hi again and I have just gone into the Admin/SetUp/Privacy and the first question says Login Required (Yes or No), so I set that to Yes and saved and I think that gives me what I want for the moment.  Silly me!!!  Thanks Chris for pointing me in that direction.  It looks like it also gives the option to register, so I tried that and it sends a mail to me to ask permission to access my site which is just what I require.

It was a simple question and one which was answered very promptly by users of TNG, thanks again.

Cheers

PP 

22 minutes ago, Pyrenees Pirate said:

In fact only today, I have found out that TNG makes anybody without a date of birth become 'living', is that correct

That is a settings in Setup > Import Settings -> If no birth date, assume:  I set mine to Person is deceased and then manually set the living flag if I do not have a birth date for a living person.

I then use Ben Wagner's Living Flag Backup / Restore mod to manage over 2,000 manually set living flags across imports.  I used that approach because I have several people in the 1500-1700 for which I do not have birth information.

Pyrenees Pirate

Thanks Ken, I'll take a look at the Living / Private settings to see how I will structure it.  One thing is for sure, I am having to re-examine how I originally put the data together in FH6!!