TNG Community
windsurfer

Select language by user

windsurfer

I have added the Dutch-UTF-8  in the languages settings but how does a user change the language. I don't see where there is a setting for this option.

manofmull

There should be a little drop-down menu on your homepage.

I believe for multiple-language websites, you have to add your own default language too

Michael

windsurfer

I went to Languages and selected add new and selected Dutch-UTF-8 

I have no idea what "Turn off relationship messages" means but i left it at no

I am assuming that doing this would activate the language and let a user select the language but there is no drop-down on the home page.

So what does it mean to add my own language, there are language files in a folder called languages.

manofmull

What country are you in?

My website is in the UK so English is the default language.

If you're in Germany, German would be your default language.

You have to add the default as well as Dutch in Admin

If you're adding a language that's not your own (default), there has to be a minimum of two languages added in Admin (one of which is normally the default)

M

windsurfer

I am in Canada but was born in Holland and the majority of my family is in Holland.

Ken Roy
38 minutes ago, windsurfer said:

I am assuming that doing this would activate the language and let a user select the language but there is no drop-down on the home page.

So what does it mean to add my own language, there are language files in a folder called languages.

According to the Admin > Languages Help screen

IMPORTANT: If you plan to allow dynamic language switching, you must set up your default language (from Setup/General Settings) as a language on this page. If you do not, you will not be able to switch back to your default language after switching to another one.

The default language is the one you setup in Admin > Setup > General Settings > Languages.  You have to define that language also in the Admin > Languages database record

windsurfer

Hello

I did have the default language set as English but that still didn't give me the choice to switch to Dutch. Manofmull is correct you have to have atleast 2 languages added in order for this to work. It would be nice if that would be mentioned in the help file.

Ken Roy

3 minutes ago, windsurfer said:

Hello

I did have the default language set as English but that still didn't give me the choice to switch to Dutch. Manofmull is correct you have to have atleast 2 languages added in order for this to work. It would be nice if that would be mentioned in the help file.

Do you have the default English language defined in both Admin > Setup > General Settings > Languages AND in Admin > Languages.

windsurfer

Yes i do now and it is working okay now. Mind you i have my default browser set to Chrome and when you make a change Chrome doesn't like that and refers to the page that is cached even CTRL F5  or F5 doesn't cure that problem. Anytime i look in IE or firefox the change is immediate. 

For example if in Chrome i switch to Dutch and the change back to English and close my browser, when i go back to the page it still shows Dutch but like i said that is Google for you.

manofmull

Answer = stick to Firefox!  I have to, as my OS is XP (with IE stripped out)

I've only ever used one browser.

Glad you got it sorted.

M