TNG Community
abobymous

BUG: change username between registration and approval steps

abobymous

Hello TNG team,

I have a clean install of v. 12.0.3 and do not have any integrations, a couple small mods from the Community here is all.  I was playing with New User Registration and noticed the following behavior.  After the description is a proposed fix.  Thank you for reading this. I look forward to the replies.

---Bob
https://spanel.familyds.com/tng

Pre Conditions:    New user follows the Registration link and successfully submits a valid request.

Procedure:    The admin reviews the newly submitted access request and changes the username to something different than user submitted.
                        Admin checks box to notify user upon activation with email.
                        Admin submits (approves) the new registration.

Post Conditions:     The approval email is successfully generated, however the user name contained within is wrong.
                                 Instead of the modified user name the Admin approved, TNG continues to use the user-submitted user name.
                                  BUT the user name in the TNG database is properly changed to the Admin-approved text.

Proposed design:  Modify the User Review page with a listener on the field for user_name.  If it is modified, the text that is used in the email is dynamically re-generated.  This must apply whether or not the check box to notify user has been checked or not.  Then, according to my understanding of how the current code works, the generated email notification will contain the correct user_name data matching the database.  This design will allow the user to verify the text in the email that will be sent upon submission.  Especially helpful for people that make small tweaks depending on who is registering.

manofmull

Bob

Isn't there something "wrong" with your procedure?

Pre Conditions:    New user follows the Registration link and successfully submits a valid request. = this is fine.

Procedure:    The admin reviews the newly submitted access request and changes the username to something different than user submitted. = why!?

If admin wants to change anything i.e. username, email or password, I think it would be more correct to first accept the registration as it was, assign permissions etc. and only THEN make the required changes.

Michael

abobymous
13 minutes ago, manofmull said:

If admin wants to change anything i.e. username, email or password, I think it would be more correct to first accept the registration as it was, assign permissions etc. and only THEN make the required changes.

Michael

Thanks for the response.  The Admin of a TNG site may have preferences or quality standards, even for family members.  We cannot know why an Admin would enforce such qualifiers but since the system can/will send a notification email containing the correct username, that email must use the data that is actually approved.  Otherwise it will lead to frustration by the user and additional messages back and forth to resolve.

Additionally, I subscribe to the general precept of keeping garbage out, especially for user-generating content.  Additional steps to resolve issues afterwards (possibly many steps with a user) is not the most efficient user flow.  :)

We don't want to disable a useful feature by disabling the ability to edit the field(s) while in the Review screen.  This was submitted as a bug because the worthwhile feature as designed allows both a User Flow and System Flow error to occur.  (system flow is that the DB is correct but the generated email is not.)

I hope this helps clarify my perspective.

Kind regards,

---Bob

manofmull

Bob

I agree with you. I don't like email addresses as usernames, and I change them.

What I was alluding to, is that when a registration is in Review, you cannot edit it (at least that's what I think) because it's not yours to edit until it has been accepted i.e. out of Review and into the user list.

M

abobymous

UPDATE:    I am writing this bug as an Admin and from an Admin's perspective, not the user who is registering. 

I see.  Only Administrators can Review and Approve new user registrations.  This very small group of individuals are those that could make adjustments to maintain their community standards.

Also, I might not have been clear in my earlier post.  Another option is to disable the editing of the fields in the Review tab.  But there are valid reasons why TNG should continue to support a wide variety of Admins the feature to edit before approving.  (Recall that the system is updated per the Admin's edits.  It is the generated email that is the bug.)  Plus that would be a bit of a hack.  We can do better!  :-)

---Bob

manofmull

Bob

Without wishing to prolong this topic, I could have added a couple of points.

If you go to my site link, do the simple captcha and see my "bare bones" regform (but don't register)  https://www.mullfamilies.co.uk/newacctform.php   I've also added text before the submit button.

This is editing even before registration! :)

Also, If you don't like a registration, you can create your own (wiith changes), inform the registrant and delete their original.

If you want to edit registrations in Review, you might have to contact Darrin.

I got one recently from someone whose email address was offensive, so it was just deleted.

M