TNG Community
Rob Roy

Timeline Alignment

Rob Roy

Maybe it is the way timelines work.  Added one event.  Figured Richard Nixon would be ideal to kick around.  The timeline appears to have three sections, none of which are lined up.  if you look at the below picture it appears that Nixon took office mid-1961, as it is just below the above timeline.   Is there any way to make the scale of all three or four the same so things line up?

image.png

Derrick

Hi Rob--

This is the way that they work. They are designed to be moved by clicking and dragging the timeline on any of the four horizontal bars. If you grab the decades line, it slides more quickly through the dates than the blue, yearly line. Alignment with all of the different sliders at one date happens in the middle of the lighter brown "lens" in the upper and lower decade sliders. These upper and lower sliders, and their lens, are always in sync, so that lower lens always mirrors the lens in the decade slider at the top. (I guess there are two decade sliders in case there is a lot of data to sit in the middle two sliders.)

For one year, line up the middle two, annual-increments sliders. Lining up at 1970 brings all four sliders into sync. If you line these up at 1971, you'll see that 1970 sits a bit to 1971's left in the top and bottom decade sliders. The idea here is that this lets a short-term perspective sit next to a decades-long view.

This is software that Darrin adapted from the Simile timeline project that used to be housed here: http://simile.mit.edu/timeline/ .

I hope that helps—

Derrick

Rob Roy

Got it.  Bit cumbersome, but so be it.

fluffy82

Glad I'm not the only one finding this timeline very unclear and confusing... 🙈