TNG Community

pictures not downloading with gedcom file

bittone

wE ARE HAVING OUR FAMILY REUNION July 5 - 7 2019 in a few weeks.  I would  like to have a decendant chart printed for the reunion.  However, when I down load the gedcome, pictures are not coming into the gedcom download.  1.  What am I doing wrong  I imported the gedcom into Roots 7, and its a disaster.  2. does anyone have experience with printing large decendant charts with local printers like OfficeDepot or other local commercial printers?

I'm a novice

so maybe the pictures are not suppose to down load.  If not is there a way to fix this, I would like to have a descendant chart printed for a family reunion but the gedcom is not download the pictures with the individuals, how do I fix this?

2 hours ago, bittone said:

I would  like to have a decendant chart printed for the reunion.  However, when I down load the gedcome, pictures are not coming into the gedcom download.  1.  What am I doing wrong

You are doing nothing wrong - the pictures will NOT transfer with a GEDCOM file - only the LINKS to the pictures will transfer.

So if you want the images to show up with the data once you import that data into say RootsMagic, then you have to download the images folders as well as the GEDCOM file and once you import the GEDCOM file, then go through and tell RootsMagic where the images are. Take a look at this article

http://tng.lythgoes.net/wiki/index.php?title=Media_-_Import

and consider it from the reverse direction - i.e. you want to set up a structure on your local computer that mirrors the structure on TNG (that article is more about getting TNG to import media, but the same principles apply.

Roger

this is not working for me.  I tried exporting just the pictures, that did not work and also tried the gedcome and then telling Family Tree Builder where to find the pictures, while it goes through the process of looking and trying to download no pictures ever appear.  Is there another way to download just the pictures other than a ged file.  I have some of the pictures, but after uploading to TNG I deleted them. 

You need to use FTP software, or maybe your site's cPanel File Manager to download the media folders and their contents. (i.e. the photos, headstones, documents etc. folders)

Roger

• 2 months later...

I am having similar problems getting the pictures to show in my TNG site after importing media from a Gedcom with the media in it (120MB). I have studied the above noted TNG Wiki on this and learned I should put the path used on my PC in the Import Settings for the Local Path for Media box (I don't care to separate photos from documents). My Gedcom file was created by Ancestral Quest which operates in a directory on my PC called \OneDrive\personal\rooting\AQ14 files\Jeffrey Family Tree. All my linked photos and scans of documents are in a sub-directory \Library with various sub-directories.  So I set my Import Settings for Local Path for Other Media to  ~\OneDrive\personal\rooting\AQ14 files\Jeffrey Family Tree\Library\

All I get is still just the links after I import the Gedcom, no actual docs. What am I doing wrong?

It happens that I have FTP'd that whole Library Directory over to public_html folder on my site. Should I point to that? I am lost.

What do you have set for the media folder names in TNG Admin ------> Setup ------> General Settings ------> Paths and folder for the expected folder names for each of Photo Folder, Documents Folder, History Folder etc etc ?

image.png

Roger

Thanks you for the response. I had not looked there, but here it is. I never touched anything here.

I am only trying to put all pics and docs in the Media Collection for now.

Does this help you untangle me?

image.png

I would strongly urge you to use the categories set up by TNG now from the outset.

You can do this by creating sub-folders in your "Library" folder that match what TNG is expecting, and then moving what is currently in your Library folder into those sub-folders.

If you need to, you can put sub-folders inside each of those folders you create to match TNG to further separate the items in each category.

Then you'd set the import path in the Import Settings area of TNG Admin to

~\OneDrive\personal\rooting\AQ14 files\Jeffrey Family Tree\Library\photos\
~\OneDrive\personal\rooting\AQ14 files\Jeffrey Family Tree\Library\documents\
~\OneDrive\personal\rooting\AQ14 files\Jeffrey Family Tree\Library\headstones\
etc
etc

for each of the categories. 

Then you'll create a new GEDCOM file from your software once everything is moved, and in TNG delete all of the current Media Items in your TNG Admin, and then run the GEDCOM import again.

Separating them out now will be much easier than trying to separate them out later on when you realise that perhaps having the headstones separate from the documents from the photos would make for better display of your data and images.

Roger

Roger.

Thank you for writing and your suggestions.

I take it from what you wrote that I am almost using the right path, except I need to put the TNG Collection name at the end of the path (as in photos\ ).

Unfortunately I have 500 files in 50 folders organized by person - different than TNG, but linked throughout my PC sofware that generated the GEDCOM. I am not about to restructure my Library. Instead dump it all into one place on TNG, probably the media Collection. My current effort is to put the essences of my PC's software and Library onto the web and so will allow the different set of sub-directories by person that currently live in my Library than the three major divisions TNG (and you) suggest. So I am going to pour all my directories into the media Collection of TNG. Therefore do I set the path as ......\Library\media\   or \library\media\Library\   or what? 

Thanks for any help you can provide.

John

Try doing this:

1 - delete all current media that is in TNG so that there are no Media there

2 - set the import path for all types of Media in TNG to 

~\OneDrive\personal\rooting\AQ14 files\Jeffrey Family Tree\Library\media\

I think you'll need to do this because otherwise TNG will process the files as they're imported, looking to put .pdf files into documents, and .jpg files into photos.

3 - upload the entire contents of your Media folder to the "media" folder on your TNG site

4 -  run an import of the GEDCOM file and see what happens

Roger

I tried this, and various permutations and combinations of the path. I found my computer puts C:\users\ in front of the path so added this. Also took it all out except the \Library\ part since the PC software runs in the \Jeffrey Family Tree\ directory. I tried reloading  Gedcoms with and without the files. None of these things worked. I stil get have TNG showing lists of items with for person, but no content.

I feel so dumb and am thinking of abandoning my TNG effort to make my info easily accessible to  family.

John, the frustrated

?Have you uploaded all of the items by FTP from your computer to your host, into the media folder in TNG.

Can you make a .zip copy of your GEDCOM file and send it to rogerkiwi@aol.com so I can take a look at what's in it.

Roger

• 2 weeks later...

Part of me is happy that I'm not the only one having trouble with this. But I'm getting a headache trying to figure out how similar or different my situation is, in order to learn from your experiences. Ugh!

I am downloading my GEDCOM from Ancestry. It's easy, and the media LINKS are all there...but when I click on the links I see no images. Help! I keep delaying showing the site to my family because of this. And I keep thinking I can figure it out, but I haven't yet. Sigh...

I asked TNG creator Darrin Lythgoe about it and he suggested I try downloading my GEDCOM from FTM instead of from Ancestry. (My Ancestry account syncs with my FTM, but FTM is primarily back up for me. I tend to work in Ancestry. But it really shouldn't matter where I get the GEDCOM file from, should it?) However, when I tried that I couldn't see my TREE anymore. Not sure what went wrong there. He seems really nice, but I don't want to keep bugging him, you know?

4 minutes ago, manofmull said:

Hazel

I don't use gedcoms myself (all manual) but to see images on your website, the media files have to be uploaded to the respective TNG folders.

If your files have been uploaded, go to Admin/Media/Thumbnails, check/tick the two little boxes and and hit the Generate button

M

Here's what I get when I do that:

Thumbnails not generated due to path, permissions, size or file name problems: 1211

Does it have to do with local paths? (see screenshot)

I have successfully, manually, uploaded some images from my computer, but if I need to somehow separate out the images that are embedded in the GEDCOM and upload THEM to a TNG folder, I don't know how to do that.

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 10.18.45 AM.png

Hazel I make my own thumbnails so that I upload from a separate thumbnail folder. I use Fookes software but that is only for PCs.

The issues I have found with links in GEDCOMs seem to depend on what has generated the GEDCOM. Some programs do it better than others. I 'clean them up' using GEDVIEWER.

Hazel,

Having been through this myself I know if can be frustrating.  Once you find the issue it works every time. Below are suggested steps that would have helped me when I was getting started.

For Photos....Simply put, if the image filename in the GEDCOM is an exact match with the media in the photos folder on your site, the generate thumbnails will create thumbnails and get the photo connected with the person or whatever it is linked to.

I suggest taking a few instances (test files) within your GEDCOM/TNG and verify the details.

1. open one of your photos  in the admin/media click on the small Edit button in the action column to open the edit page.  on this page find the File name on site box and copy the exact filename.  watch for upper/lower case and spaces.

2. verify the settings for photos in the admin/settings/configuration/general settings.  notice the text box for photo folder....it should be "photos". no quotes

3. verify the filename of the test file (from step 1) by going to your site via FileZilla (or equivalent).  make sure the file is in the public_html/photos folder and that the filename matches exactly with the filename in step 1. upper/lower can cause issues.

I didn't see your website but would be happy to take a look.

Scott